SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Flounder

Cash: 621

And as for the boat tampering! It is a very big problem especially on the pipeline canal. Iv talked to wildlife and fisheries and if/when people mess with your boat they actually consider that a threat and can be punished by law. Best way to catch someone in the act is have a video/game camera hidden somewheres. If someone is in that spot, it doesn't matter if you found it first or not. It's PUBLIC LAND! When you start paying to help manage "your spot" you might can say something, other than that go to plan b. be a man and not a kid and mess with other people's property.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickfontenot View Post
What needs to take place is a lease type system. Everybody pays a certain amount of money, and they designate you to a certain spot. There are plenty of spots at lacassine if it were takin care of properly. There could only be positive out comes of this. 1. Keeping up a great spot to hunt. 2. Everyone will have there own area to hunt, and not next to some sky blasters. 3. The walk/pirogue out there would be so much easier for the guys that hunt it. 4. We wouldn't loose as many birds due to there being less grass. 4. And last since it would be "managed", there still would be grass and canes but not to an extent a duck can't even hit the water. All positives would come of this for a lousy $200 fee. Vs 10k for a rice field blind with people you don't know. I appreciate all the comments guys. Noone means to be rude just a friendly discussion to keep a great place to hunt alive.
I disagree with this, we're already paying for that place with our tax dollars, last thing I need is to be double dipped by the gubment again.

Quote:
And as for the boat tampering! It is a very big problem especially on the pipeline canal. Iv talked to wildlife and fisheries and if/when people mess with your boat they actually consider that a threat and can be punished by law. Best way to catch someone in the act is have a video/game camera hidden somewheres. If someone is in that spot, it doesn't matter if you found it first or not. It's PUBLIC LAND! When you start paying to help manage "your spot" you might can say something, other than that go to plan b. be a man and not a kid and mess with other people's property.
I completely agree with this.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Flounder

I don't want to pay anymore money to the government but I see it as if I could spend $200 more dollars to make my hunts that much more enjoyable and easier then I would do it in a heart beat and I know many more that would. Just wishful thinking I guess. And yeah the boat tampering is just immature and low. If they keep having problems with this they will eventually shut it down. If they don't have the money to manage it, I'm sure they don't have it to have a warden to patrol it untill the time limit is up. If you are this type of person, keep it up and you will have to find a new spot to hunt along with the rest of us! That's LOW!!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

What guarantees you a spot on said lease? I disagree with that 100%. Let's keep what we already have.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

You points do have some merit Patrick. I wouldn't be against some sort of system like this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
What needs to take place is a lease type system. Everybody pays a certain amount of money, and they designate you to a certain spot. There are plenty of spots at lacassine if it were takin care of properly. There could only be positive out comes of this. 1. Keeping up a great spot to hunt. 2. Everyone will have there own area to hunt, and not next to some sky blasters. 3. The walk/pirogue out there would be so much easier for the guys that hunt it. 4. We wouldn't loose as many birds due to there being less grass. 4. And last since it would be "managed", there still would be grass and canes but not to an extent a duck can't even hit the water. All positives would come of this for a lousy $200 fee. Vs 10k for a rice field blind with people you don't know. I appreciate all the comments guys. Noone means to be rude just a friendly discussion to keep a great place to hunt alive.
This is exactly what does not need to happen. I understand you are just trying to think outside the box but logistically this will not and cannot work. Who decides who gets which spot? Who decides how many spots will be available? Where will the money go? Who will police these spots? What will you say when you don't get a spot and you have no place to hunt? It is not feasible and it is a slippery slope that you will wish you were not on some day!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
This is exactly what does not need to happen. I understand you are just trying to think outside the box but logistically this will not and cannot work. Who decides who gets which spot? Who decides how many spots will be available? Where will the money go? Who will police these spots? What will you say when you don't get a spot and you have no place to hunt? It is not feasible and it is a slippery slope that you will wish you were not on some day!
I agree, it is not perfect the way it is, but its 'free' and its open to anyone

Again, the whole point of the refuge is for wintering waterfowl, the hunting is just a bonus for us. As long as the true refuge portion is maintained for wintering waterfowl they have met their requirements. If during the waterfowl season hunters kill 10 ducks or 100,000 ducks it makes not one bit of difference for them. Just saying that when you complain to the refuge staff or your senator or whatever it does not matter, they may listen but they are not hearing you. They don't make the decisions, someone at an air-conditioned desk in Washington, DC makes that decision.

White Lake has a lease system and a lottery type system if anyone wants to go that route Better have deep pockets
Old 11-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Flounder

There are ways around it. If you are familiar with anuhac near Baytown texas they have the same system and it works fine. The ldwf would police the area, money would go towards managing the property : gas, equipment, etc. it's just the want to and that area doesn't have it. And it doesn't have to be that exact system but something needs to be done. It's going to be a free for all and someone is going to get hurt and property will be destroyed bc someone took joe blows spot. Mark my words. I'm not trien to step on anyone's toes, I just want to keep the place available for hunters. But if everyone is fine with the way it is and doesn't mind there hard earned money going to waste on replacing broken equipment, gas, food, shells, ext for 0 birds then game on. It's gonna be a fun next few years
Old 11-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Red Snapper

30 and 3 or bust!
Old 11-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Ling

Quote:
There are ways around it. If you are familiar with anuhac near Baytown texas they have the same system and it works fine. The ldwf would police the area, money would go towards managing the property : gas, equipment, etc. it's just the want to and that area doesn't have it. And it doesn't have to be that exact system but something needs to be done. It's going to be a free for all and someone is going to get hurt and property will be destroyed bc someone took joe blows spot. Mark my words. I'm not trien to step on anyone's toes, I just want to keep the place available for hunters. But if everyone is fine with the way it is and doesn't mind there hard earned money going to waste on replacing broken equipment, gas, food, shells, ext for 0 birds then game on. It's gonna be a fun next few years
but there is no money going towards the refuge i thought?

I know what you are saying, i am just messing but can you expound on Anahuac NWR and how that is ran? Not familiar with the hunting there, but do know they have a population of whooping cranes that winter there which may have something to do with the limited access there
Old 11-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
30 and 3 or bust!
+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-16-2012, 02:31 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
The ldwf would police the area
No they would not. They don't police federal land. The feds do and they have basically no money to afford agents. They have two for Sabine and one or two for Lacassine and that is it! Again, slippery slope you would not like to find yourself on especially when you find out that you didn't get a spot. Regarding it being a free for all? It's been that way forever! That is the point of public land.
Red Snapper

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the LDWF has no authority on an NWR. I could be mistaken though. It's happened before.
Flounder

What's that?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
No they would not. They don't police federal land. The feds do and they have basically no money to afford agents. They have two for Sabine and one or two for Lacassine and that is it! Again, slippery slope you would not like to find yourself on especially when you find out that you didn't get a spot. Regarding it being a free for all? It's been that way forever! That is the point of public land.
The cripple beat me to it!
Old 11-16-2012, 02:34 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the LDWF has no authority on an NWR. I could be mistaken though. It's happened before.
They have the authority, but they are not there. Basically, they are not invited to the big boys play pen!
Old 11-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Flounder

Yeah true but I guess wishfull thinking. The one in anuhac is very successful by the way. But I guess everybody put on there big boy pants at lacassine and we won't have any problems but the grass. Should be a season for the books!
Old 11-16-2012, 02:35 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
The cripple beat me to it!
Hey now! Bout one more week and you will be playing catch up again!!
Old 11-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Ling

Quote:
What's that?
had this on my computer had to use it, nothing personal
Old 11-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Ling

Quote:
Yeah true but I guess wishfull thinking. The one in anuhac is very successful by the way. But I guess everybody put on there big boy pants at lacassine and we won't have any problems but the grass. Should be a season for the books!
how is anahuac ran differently? seriously, do not know