SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Not a lawyer but, If you read the way the tresspass laws were rewritten. When they made the law that you don't have to put up signs anymore , they also said that unless you own / lease the land. You MUST have written permission on your person from the land owner or you are considered to be trespassing.
ANYONE can call and say you do not have permission to be on someone elses property. And like someone else said, there is no telling what the other person told the LEO. The deputy did not have to try to contact the land owner. He could have cited you for trespass and let you sort it out w/ the judge.
And thank god the laws have changed to accomodate the landowner It wasn't very long ago that anyone could just go tear down a posted sign and trespass onto your land and if they were caught they only had to say 'well this land wasn't properly posted' and they were let go. Very glad we got out of the mideival ages of that law. Its very hard to keep property 'legally posted' especially in Louisiana People tear down the signs and shoot em all the time.
Guess what happened if that trespasser got hurt on your land that was not properly posted? You can get sued. That is the whole point of these laws. We lease property and everyone that steps foot on that property has to sign a waiver and have a permission slip on hand at all times and its only to cover your azz from being sued. Sad that this is the world we live in, but its the truth.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:52 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 972

I own property in Mississippi which I inherited from my relatives.
Personally the only thing I do is pay property taxes, pay insurance, check on it every once in blue moon, and collect logging or mineral checks.
My family and I for a few years kind of didn't want to say much about people hunting the land due to family employed a lot of people in this area.
Hated this time of year due to my phone would blow up with local yokel billy bob getting mad because Local yokel Leroy was hunting on his so called spot on my land.
No one had a lease or agreement with me, but due to my relatives employed a lot of people in this area I tried to play nice letting people hunt the land.
Just got out of hand and I got sued over someone falling out of a tree stand.
Now the local law enforcement knows if people don't have a letter which my attorney has put together with my signature, contact info, their signature, contact info, time line to be on land they are trespassing.

Been approached by a lot of people wanting to lease it or sub lease it for hunting, but they want to act like the land is theirs which for the money it is not worth the headache, liability, and don't like people telling me what they want to do on my land.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

My .02

.01 If you guys all live within a block from each other, ya'll need to have a block party or gathering to introduce yourself!!!

.02 This is for all of our law enforcement officials......" I would rather be safe 1,000 times than dead once"! If you think about that, you will never have to think of walking in their shoes!
Old 11-20-2013, 02:13 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsch1 View Post
Personally the only thing I do is pay property taxes, pay insurance, check on it every once in blue moon, and collect logging or mineral checks.
My family and I for a few years kind of didn't want to say much about people hunting the land due to family employed a lot of people in this area.
Hated this time of year due to my phone would blow up with local yokel billy bob getting mad because Local yokel Leroy was hunting on his so called spot on my land.
No one had a lease or agreement with me, but due to my relatives employed a lot of people in this area I tried to play nice letting people hunt the land.
Now the local law enforcement knows if people don't have a letter which my attorney has put together with my signature, contact info, their signature, contact info, time line to be on land they are trespassing.

Been approached by a lot of people wanting to lease it or sub lease it for hunting, but they want to act like the land is theirs which for the money it is not worth the headache, liability, and don't like people telling me what they want to do on my land.
Sir - Not sure where your property is in MS. But I have two words for you "Tuscaloosa Trend". If you have mineral rights, hold on to it by all means and I would keep everyone off of it to insure no litigation holds up the train that is coming!!!!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsch1 View Post

What happened with the lawsuit? I always hear "I could get sued" excuse from landowners but never actually heard of it happening. I thought there had to be some kind of proof of negligence for them to get any money.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400
Default Duck Butter's people

"Making a stand against what he considered a dangerous and illegal new school policy that forces parents to wait in a line of cars outside until children are released at 2:35pm, Jim Howe tried to walk his kids out of South Cumberland Elementary but was arrested and now faces charges of disorderly conduct."

Full Story
http://www.infowars.com/father-arres...p-from-school/
Old 11-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull n Pray View Post
What happened with the lawsuit? I always hear "I could get sued" excuse from landowners but never actually heard of it happening. I thought there had to be some kind of proof of negligence for them to get any money.
All depends on if they get a jury trial. Old george shows up on crutch's and wearing a neck brace and says he can't feed his wife and family because he fell out of your tree. They will more often than not give him $$$.
When i ask someone if i can hunt or fish on their property,the first thing i do is offer to sign a hold harmless agreement, second is to offer half of what i might catch / kill.
Had one land corporation that has a prime piece of land close to my house. went and asked if i could hunt? Land agt. told me if i bought hunting club insurance i could , would have been worth it EXCEPT>
I told him i would buy the insurance for 3 years but if i did that it made me liable for any accidents on the property. I told him that for me to cover his land w/ my insurance i needed a letter on Company letterhead signed by him and any other Co officers stating that i and i alone had access, Anyone else found on the property would be trespassing. Talk about someone crawfishing. found out latter that all kind of folks had verbal permission to hunt there.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:35 AM
Flounder

Cash: 597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
He didn't have any PROOF of permission to be hunting there. I am not taking sides, but I can clearly see both sides of the argument (i.e. no blinders). Think about it from the sheriff's side (i.e. no blinders), he gets a call there is a possible trespasser (two armed men don't forget), there is no proof they are to be on the property (no written proof, no verbal proof) for all the sheriff knows they ARE trespassers at that time.

Answer this - What was the sheriff supposed to do? Should he have just let them go? (there is not one shred of evidence they are NOT trespassing remember)

It was a complicated situation and I would have been pizzed too if I got frisked but I bet you I would have written permission next time I went out there

dammit, this thing is gonna go 20 pages!
In this country, you don't need proof to be exonerated they need to PROVE you violated the law. It's a little odd I know, but try it you will like it. I know guys who have gone they're whole career and never drawn a weapon on someone. Nowadays, with the "felony car stop" the situation is escalated before it starts. Guns should not clear leather until the need to potentially kill someone arises.

How do those European cops even function without sidearms in a violent and hostile environment that is crawling with weapons? Tact, politeness and professionalism, that's how.

What would those guys be doing with guns in the woods during hunting season? Get a grip.......um hunting perhaps?
Old 11-21-2013, 06:13 AM
Flounder

Quote:
You still didn't answer it, you didn't tell me what the sheriff should have done just told me what your interpretation of the law is Should he have let him go with the evidence he had at that moment? (don't deflect with the gun to the face, tell me what that deputy should have done).

Refuse a breathalyzer test and tell me they have to PROVE you were drinking before they take you to jail

damn this is a lasportsman thread
Here is what I would have done, granted I don't pretend to know your laws there.

1. I would have rolled up and talked to the R.P. I can learn a lot from a short conversation.

2. I would have run the truck to see what kind of person I was dealing with. We rarely get killed by guys who coach little league and pay taxes.

3. I would have looked IN the truck. A camo sweatshirt, some gun cases and a lunch box indicates hunters. Maybe ducks or feathers in the back aint a bad indicator either.

4. I would interview the guys coming out of the woods, get their information and phone numbers for the landowner and send them on their way. I would do this as politely and quickly as possible. If my investigation indicates that trespassing charges are in order I can write a declaration in support of a warrant or I can issue a citation via mail. If they turn out to be rabid terrorists, that is what the SERT team is for. If it turns out the neighbor knew he was mis-reporting same proceedure, different ticket.

In any case I think I would not have needed to draw down on anyone. If I did, I would get the pleasure of filing a use of force report detailing what about the subjects demeanor, mental status, potential for escalation, physical advantage, and seriousness of crime prompted me to draw. No good articulation of need to draw, no more job, no warnings.

I don't know about there, but here I can run virtually any case past a DA to see if I have something BEFORE filing charges. In exigent circumstances where someones safety may be at stake arrests are always made.

You know why we hate murderers? Because they end a potential. You know why we hate wife beaters and bullies? Because they end a sense of safety and security in our persons. You know why we hate rapists and molesters? Because they steal innocence. You know what happens when you arrest or accuse someone who did not do it? You take their security, their potential and their innocence. My job is not to catch criminals, it is to dscover the truth....period. With just a tiny bit of humility and some work I can do both without destroying lives and violating rights.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgsquatch View Post
Here is what I would have done, granted I don't pretend to know your laws there.

1. I would have rolled up and talked to the R.P. I can learn a lot from a short conversation.

2. I would have run the truck to see what kind of person I was dealing with. We rarely get killed by guys who coach little league and pay taxes.

3. I would have looked IN the truck. A camo sweatshirt, some gun cases and a lunch box indicates hunters. Maybe ducks or feathers in the back aint a bad indicator either.

4. I would interview the guys coming out of the woods, get their information and phone numbers for the landowner and send them on their way. I would do this as politely and quickly as possible. If my investigation indicates that trespassing charges are in order I can write a declaration in support of a warrant or I can issue a citation via mail. If they turn out to be rabid terrorists, that is what the SERT team is for. If it turns out the neighbor knew he was mis-reporting same proceedure, different ticket.

In any case I think I would not have needed to draw down on anyone. If I did, I would get the pleasure of filing a use of force report detailing what about the subjects demeanor, mental status, potential for escalation, physical advantage, and seriousness of crime prompted me to draw. No good articulation of need to draw, no more job, no warnings.

I don't know about there, but here I can run virtually any case past a DA to see if I have something BEFORE filing charges. In exigent circumstances where someones safety may be at stake arrests are always made.

You know why we hate murderers? Because they end a potential. You know why we hate wife beaters and bullies? Because they end a sense of safety and security in our persons. You know why we hate rapists and molesters? Because they steal innocence. You know what happens when you arrest or accuse someone who did not do it? You take their security, their potential and their innocence. My job is not to catch criminals, it is to dscover the truth....period. With just a tiny bit of humility and some work I can do both without destroying lives and violating rights.

Very well said!
Old 11-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

Quote:

That my friends is the best post ive read on this thread! And i wish all officers would take that last sentence you said into consideration. ALOT of ppls lives get ruined bc of this. Example: And old friend of mine was over 18 and dating a girl who was only 16 illegal yes, but they had been together for over 2 years. And had both parents consent. Well a family member of the girl came into town for the holidays or something of that matter later on and didnt like him or the whole situation and turned him in. And even with the parents consent he now for the rest of his life has that on his record and has to register as a sex offender! COMPLETE BS!
Old 11-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

I reported my truck stolen once in New Orleans. Turns out it had been towed but no one had a record of it getting towed and where it was towed to. I reported it stolen. Then got a call from the tow place the next day. Picked up my truck. Called the police and told them what happened. The said it was all good. Then a month later at cowboys in Scott La I walked out to my truck and as soon as I touched the door. Lights hit me guns and tazers drawn I was ordered on the ground in the rain & thrown in the back of the car. They weren't pleasant and seemed to be a little disappointed after I gave them my name and spelled it 5 times. Nopd never filed the paper work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:

Duckbutter out!
Old 11-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:

Old 11-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Ling

Quote:

Where in the world did I said anything about drawing a gun on MR was OK? I have never commented on that , just showing that I am glad that the rules favor the property owner over someone who is potentially trespassing If you look through my posts, I simply showed MRs point of veiw and the sheriffs point of view (with the info we were given) and then Spunt Drag highlighted something I said from that post to do nothing more but to start an argument. He then (as W would do) posted a couple things to deflect, gets called out, then posts memes and pics until someone else bails him out, then posts more memes. Its like clockwork

Murderers, wife beaters and bullies what the hell man?

I was out yesterday sorry for the delayed response
Old 11-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Ling

Quote:
In this country, you don't need proof to be exonerated they need to PROVE you violated the law. It's a little odd I know, but try it you will like it. I know guys who have gone they're whole career and never drawn a weapon on someone. Nowadays, with the "felony car stop" the situation is escalated before it starts. Guns should not clear leather until the need to potentially kill someone arises.

How do those European cops even function without sidearms in a violent and hostile environment that is crawling with weapons? Tact, politeness and professionalism, that's how.

What would those guys be doing with guns in the woods during hunting season? Get a grip.......um hunting perhaps?
OK, so if i refuse a breathalyzer test, do you send me on my way or do I go to jail? You haven't PROVED anything. I am innocent right? Why would I go to jail if nothing is PROVEN? Why can't I just drive off with a citation? I am innocent man, free my people
Old 11-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Red Snapper

Argue wit a turd if it came out wrong.

Just tapout already!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Flounder

FlagUS

Quote:
OK, so if i refuse ar breathalyzer test, do you send me on my way or do I go to jail? You haven't PROVED anything. I am innocent right? Why would I go to jail if nothing is PROVEN? Why can't I just drive off with a citation? I am innocent man, free my people
If I think you are drunk and you refuse a blood, breath or urine test, this is what happens.You are lawfully detained for investigation, at jail. I write a report based on my observations and you still get charged, but I don't have a BAC to go with my charges. This makes it easier for you to fight the case if you want, but a jury still decides based on whether they believe me, and expert with 1500 DUI convictions, or you, a guy who wasn't driving drunk, but swerves a lot and can't talk right, and smells like booze with bar receipts in his pocket. A breathalyzer is an evidentiary tool, not a foolproof magic bullet.

Drivers licenses are issued administratively in my state. If you refuse a breathalyzer I can do two things. I can get a judge to issue a warrant to do a forced blood draw. or I can detain you in a sobering cell for 6 hours while a determination of your impairment is made. If a judge issues that warrant and you end up being in a diabetic stupor, I never get a search warrant again and probably sued, definitely an internal affairs investigation to determine why I thought you were drunk, but you did not smell of booze etc. If someone is hurt or dead I always get a warrant even if you submit.

Refusing to be breathalysed in my state is an automatic 6 month suspension because you agreed to that when you got you license contractually. There is no conviction, there was no crime, because there was no evidence.

You might think that is wrong and that people get away with crimes. Yup, they do. You know what is more wrong? A police state where the ends justify the means. You give me four hours with a blowtorch and a rubber hose and I can get anyone (you included), to admit to anything. Want to solve every rape? Take the first guy accused and beat him until he confesses. Maybe you don't need to beat him. In fact, all you have to do is convince him that the consequences of admitting falsely are not as bad as the consequences of telling the truth.

Look up the Khm'er Rouge and see how they managed to get four million people to not only admit to crimes that never occured, but to turn each other in for fabricated crimes. It also makes it easier for the thugs at the bottom of the ladder to execute people when they think they are operating under bona-fide authority.

Why don't we do this? Because we have a Constitution that protects us against such things, but only when we revere it and abide by it. Right now your Constitution is being eroded by people selling things. They are selling security by telling you they are protecting you by spying on you, registering guns, registering certain people, searching without warrants etc. They don't want to stamp out crime, they want to monopolize it. They don't want to catch terrorists, they want to manipulate terrorist acts to place them in political favor, and sell you another dose of protection. Its about centralized power and the story is not a new one.

I am not going to tell you the amendment that protects you from unlawful search and seizure. I am not going to tell you the atrocities that prompted the founding fathers to include such things in our Constitution. I am going to challenge you to take ten minutes out of your day and look it up while you still can. I am going to let you choose whether or not you wish to remain an ignorant sheep or not.