SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Flounder

Cash: 678

It is all about shot placement. I guide younger kids mostly and use .243. Guided a young lady Tuesday .243 100 grain and she killed good buck, perfect shot, good blood trail and easy finding deer. Guided a hunt today and guy was shooting .308 180 grain. He made good shot, almost no blood but found deer easy enough. Go figure? My choice .243 or 7mm-08.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Flounder

Cash: 621

Very good point about the stock. I think a great buy and a great option is the Howa Youth 2 N 1 package. You get a rifle mounted in a Hogue overmolded youth stock and an adult size Hogue stock for when they out grow the youth stock. I have a buddy that bought one for his boy who is still too young to hunt. His thinking being that the guns are only getting more expensive with time. He liked the gun so much he dropped it into the adult stock and started hunting with it. I believe it's a 243.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Redfish

Cash: 708

What about the .308 with low recoil ammo...then when he get's older he can shoot standard ammo.

I agree with the wood stock comments as well if recoil is a concern.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:47 AM
Flounder

Cash: 633

7mm-08 is all you need. I have a Tikka in 7mm-08, it has zero (ZERO) recoil and shoots the Hornady Superformance 139 gr. GMX well under an inch for 5 shots @ 100 yards. That round has all the speed and energy needed to kill any animal in the US with 1 well placed shot. Also, the Tikka's are light and very well made for the coin. The all blued model with the black plastic stock can be had for $550 and the stainless model is $650. An EGR 1 piece picatinney base is like $40 and rings $75 buy the best glass you can afford.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Flounder

Cash: 660

There are no calibers here with any noticeable recoil when shooting a deer. The only way one notices recoil when shooting a deer with any of these calibers is if they don't mount it right and cut there eye and that has likely happened with all of these calibers. I have a browning 300 WSM and yes the recoil wasn't great when sighting it in but I really don't remember it and when I shoot a deer or hog I don't feel a thing. With a bigger caliber I only need one gun for when I have enough money to go get an elk. Just my $.2.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Flounder

Cash: 633

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailreg View Post
There are no calibers here with any noticeable recoil when shooting a deer. The only way one notices recoil when shooting a deer with any of these calibers is if they don't mount it right and cut there eye and that has likely happened with all of these calibers. I have a browning 300 WSM and yes the recoil wasn't great when sighting it in but I really don't remember it and when I shoot a deer or hog I don't feel a thing. With a bigger caliber I only need one gun for when I have enough money to go get an elk. Just my $.2.
^^
excellent point and very true.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
^^
excellent point and very true.
I am not sure that this is the case when one is introducting a 6 or 7 year old to shooting for the first couple times. I want him to be able to shoot a "grown up" gun every once in a while without it being a traumatic experience.

I know that 308 or 30/06 have both a lot more bite and bark than a .243.... i don't want his first shooting experiences to be negative ones.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailreg View Post
They may not notice the recoil when shooting a deer but they sure as heck will notice it when practicing. That will not only rob them of the fun of shooting their new rifle but also builds bad shooting habits that can and will effect them when shooting a deer. If the habit of flinching during the shot is learned during practice it cant be unlearned just because a deer is your target not a piece of paper.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,216

My 8 yr old killed his first deer this year with a 7mm-08, he had no problem shooting it or any complaints while practicing.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,128

243 hands down . Automatic if you can, they have inherently less felt recooil. It does not have to be a tack driver . And get 85 grain Federal Premium Boat Tail Hollow points , they are devastating on deer . Trust me , I hunted with 100 grain noslers for years(good bullet) but after switching to 85 BTHP for my lil girl , I am a believer . She has taken 5 deer since she was 7 yrs old including a 227 pound 10 pt . The furthest recovery was appx 60 yards .
Old 11-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Flounder

Cash: 621

I agree with the 85gr over the 100 gr. I have sighted in several 243s for myself and friends and the 80 to 85 gr bullets have always grouped better than the 100s. The slightly lighter recoil is always a plus with the kids. Makes for a very confident shooter.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,167

I started out with a .243, great starter gun. I killed a deer every year for about 10 years before I moved up to a 30-06. They will kill with very little recoil.
I just moved up to a bigger caliber cause I thought I needed to use a grown up gun.