SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 01-20-2016, 07:50 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

pretty sure they will be voting on the season next month....

I was wrong public comment is next month
http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/news/39823

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/d...egulations.pdf
Old 01-20-2016, 07:51 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 673

No zones.

Start teal season on 2nd Thursday of september, runs for 16 days. Ends on a friday. Then the next day (Saturday )open a 9 day Regular duck season. Most people I know love teal hunting. The blue wings should still be down plus wooduck, gaddies, spoons,tree ducks that been thumbing their nose at every blind could get their turn of Hunter attention. Maybe commissioner Courville would like. Ha

2nd split needs to be open to allow kids to hunt when they are off thanksgiving break. Usually week of thanksgiving.

Close for 2 weeks then reopen 3rd split the sat before Christmas. Kids and families could hunt together all Christmas break.

I wouldn't expect every part of the state to agree but I think it would work well for the majority. One thing is certain no matter what is approved people will complain but still go.

CH
Old 01-20-2016, 07:52 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackhead62 View Post
You might be correct I think they will do the public comment thing again and that seemed to get the season moved up this year since so many people wanted it. Maybe we could have the same effect if the public comment opens again this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually it was the opposite. The commission went against everything the majority of the public wanted. They received so much backlash they met again about new zones and dates for next year. It's looking like the coastal zone will be everything south of hwy 14 from lake charles all the way to Mississippi. East zone will be north of 14 and south of i10 east to 165 then up to the northern border east from there. West zone will be west of 165 and north of i10. If I remember the dates proposed were 2nd sat in Nov for coastal opener and 3rd sat in Nov for east zone opener. Don't recall west or split dates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2016, 07:59 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackhead62 View Post
Well as hunters we need to try and get together and get this to come across for next year. I think we would all benefit.

Participate in WLF public surveys and attend meetings when they allow public comment on season dates is the way to do that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2016, 07:07 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

November 19th to December 4th (17 days) Hunt over Thanksgiving Week

December 26th to January 22nd (28 days) Hunt between Christmas and New Years

February 4th to February 19th (16 days) Hunt during Mardi Gras
Old 01-21-2016, 07:43 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,063

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGcoreg View Post
Participate in WLF public surveys and attend meetings when they allow public comment on season dates is the way to do that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll never do another survey as long as I live. Those tards up there said although they appreciate people taking the time to do the surveys it just public opinion and they go off facts and science and that opinions do nothing for them.

Boy that pissed me off.

Like y'all said they went against every public option out there and went with there own agenda. They got paid to do what they were told to do. It's just a bunch of mumbo jumbo. They will do what they want in he end. It's BS!!

Old 01-21-2016, 07:48 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,063

As the crow flys I'm about 3 miles south of HWY 14. We always do ok on the opening week. Then after that it falls off dramatically. Last weekend of the first split is descent. Then the first 3 weeks of the second split is when we shine. We smoke em. Mallards and teal and greys and specks. Solid straps. We open to early. Way to early. Wish we would close last weekend in January. Open 3rd weekend in November. For me that's the best

Also I hate the zones. Doesn't make any sense to me. The coastal zone guys push em all buck up north and then they sit for a week untouched.

Crazy!!

Old 01-21-2016, 07:58 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat killer 86 View Post
As the crow flys I'm about 3 miles south of HWY 14. We always do ok on the opening week. Then after that it falls off dramatically. Last weekend of the first split is descent. Then the first 3 weeks of the second split is when we shine. We smoke em. Mallards and teal and greys and specks. Solid straps. We open to early. Way to early. Wish we would close last weekend in January. Open 3rd weekend in November. For me that's the best

Also I hate the zones. Doesn't make any sense to me. The coastal zone guys push em all buck up north and then they sit for a week untouched.

Crazy!!

I doubt the coastal will ever open up by itself again. Prolly west and coastal will open up same time , unless the west wants to open up when the east does
Old 01-21-2016, 07:59 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

The costal guys do get screwed opening weekend is awesome. But it falls off until all the other zones open. I still have never figured out why closest zone to the bay opens first. To me it just don't make sense.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:09 AM
Flounder

Cash: 688
Default 3 zones

you guys will see the good of 3 zones when we get stuck with 30/3 season, if you just travel a little you will get more shots at more days, you get better splits for the ducks to relax. you could even end up with 30/3 and it be wed and sat and sunday hunting only state wide with no zones. think the hunting guides would like that...HELL NO! The zones will give us more hunting days if we need it in the future. all 3 zones should open on different dates and split on different dates and close on different dates when possible. Later feb hunting should be allowed, ducks and geese pair the same, later 14 days will not change that, they all agree hunting has no impact of ducks, well lets use that theory to true fact. I think there should be no limit on snows all year, only electronic calls during splits. That would bring goose crawling back to help control the numbers which they say are still high.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:41 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucan View Post
you guys will see the good of 3 zones when we get stuck with 30/3 season, if you just travel a little you will get more shots at more days, you get better splits for the ducks to relax. you could even end up with 30/3 and it be wed and sat and sunday hunting only state wide with no zones. think the hunting guides would like that...HELL NO! The zones will give us more hunting days if we need it in the future. all 3 zones should open on different dates and split on different dates and close on different dates when possible. Later feb hunting should be allowed, ducks and geese pair the same, later 14 days will not change that, they all agree hunting has no impact of ducks, well lets use that theory to true fact. I think there should be no limit on snows all year, only electronic calls during splits. That would bring goose crawling back to help control the numbers which they say are still high.
There won't be a 30-3 as long as DU keeps producing "record" numbers of ducks.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:44 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by seachaser250 View Post
Dates don't matter much when you have a warm winter.
If anyone argues this, you are not a duck hunter...
Old 01-21-2016, 08:56 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

man the only reason i hope it goes to 30 and 3, is so i can get a chance for a good lease!

all these newbies will be dropping like flies.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:56 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdriver View Post

100% truth to that statement.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:58 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

as far as 3 zones... what the heck was wrong with just the east and west? it makes absolutely no sense to open the season a week earlier below hwy14 than on the north side. pretty much hunting the same birds.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:00 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong because I'm trying to gather a consensus for the proposed dates.

For the date changes to be implemented by public opinion, the input needs to be consistent among the state. I believe a consistent message from the hunters could implement change.

Please provide more feedback because I would like to start a poll with a couple different season options and see what want. (Gotta start somewhere)

1. It looks like most all of us can agree on 3 splits.

2. Most people agree on a longer 2nd split. (Hunting days)

3. Most people want season open for Thanksgiving, and Christmas holidays.

In order to have a unified state season, we must accept some dates we don't agree with us.
This is just an example-N Louisiana probably won't like opening early Nov, but they will like closing Jan 30th.

Ok, thanks for everyone's input, hopefully we can create a poll and go from there. Possibly get the Delta Waterfowl and DU guys to jump on the bandwagon as well.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:00 AM
Tripletail

I think another big factor nobody brought up yet is the number of people hunting now since the duck dynasty fad. Every little puddle of water is leased up and the ducks have very few places to rest like they did in the past.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:56 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdriver View Post
I will argue that a season spread over a longer period will "capture" more birds and the longer splits will help settle the birds down, local and newcomers.
At the very least you will benefit from an additional "opening weekend".
Old 01-21-2016, 10:11 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucan View Post
Later feb hunting should be allowed, ducks and geese pair the same, later 14 days will not change that, they all agree hunting has no impact of ducks, well lets use that theory to true fact.:
Finally someone making sense. Go look in any field with water in February and they are FULL of ducks. We get to hunt squirrel and rabbit into February why not ducks? We hunt deer into January and most the does are pregnant then
Old 01-21-2016, 10:16 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post

Ok, thanks for everyone's input, hopefully we can create a poll and go from there. Possibly get the Delta Waterfowl and DU guys to jump on the bandwagon as well.
Keep DU out of this. They are the reason we are having a bad season in the first place and why it will continue to get worse. If I want to deal with square toe boot, drake best, Costa wearing top waters I will just hang out at Lafayette shooters