SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 01-25-2015, 08:09 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default Where Da Teal At??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallardhead View Post
Average year as far as numbers killed banner year on mallards and specks. Missed our usual green wings that never really showed up.
#WhereDidTheGreenWingsGo

For real, I'm very puzzled about the lack of teal does anyone have any insight?
Old 01-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Average season on bird count........but ended the season with a banded wood duck today........last bird of the day.

great memories all around, great meals, great sotries (lies) and made some new hunting buddies.

It's all good
Old 01-25-2015, 09:15 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

Quote:
Originally Posted by bab52 View Post
Average year n GC. 4 blinds 475 for the year mostly week ends. Teal, Greys, pintail. High note is the jewelry!! 3 bands
We did pretty good next door...I really wanted to make a last hunt this weekend but didn't get around to it. I think the season held up pretty good this year consistency wise..
Old 01-26-2015, 08:06 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Pecan Is area. We had a good first split and a terrible second split. From the 1st of the year till the end of the season it was the worst hunting in over 20 years on this place....
Old 01-26-2015, 08:26 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,574

Average year South of JB for us. The usual grays, spoons, BW teal. Pretty good first split, SLOW second split. High water all year with few green wings as Casey said. Snow's did save a lot of hunts for us this year. Was able to add 2 to 4 to most of our hunts of few ducks. Was also able to bag a few mallard and pintail which we usually don't see much of in our marsh. As long as my two boys are making hulls, they think its a great season.....
Old 01-26-2015, 08:55 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

First season in GC. First split was great, second split was not so great. I think we ended a little over 600 out of one blind. Majority gads. 0 mallards.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:34 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

GC area both north and south of road. South blinds above average for first spit. Second split the ducks vacated the area 2 weeks before closing this weekend. Last 2 weeks the north blinds did very well in flooded pastures that are normally dry. Limits both Sat and Sunday this past weekend. Kaplan area had a good closing weekend with 2 blinds limiting on teal both days.
In retrospect, the high water in GC really hurt us after Christmas. We had plenty feed but was 3ft under water. 7 months to teal season...can't wait!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:28 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 660

Holly Beach area- our totals were up slightly from last year, but actually much lower numbers per hunter; just hunted a little more and with more people. I'll echo everyone else's comments on the GWT- that's our go to duck, and the numbers, after the first weekend, were way down. On the flip side, we killed our most gadwall in 6 years by a large amount that offset the lower teal numbers. High water was a problem for us as well- probably explains the lack of teal.

Made a few hunts in the rice fields in the Mowata area as well- fairly slow except for the spoons, although the ducks showed up after the 1st. The main problem I have with the coastal zone dates is related more to the boundaries- our blinds 5 miles from the gulf and the blinds about 5 miles south of highway 190 are both in the "coastal" zone. That doesn't make any sense.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:28 PM
Redfish

Cash: 2,950

I have no real complaints and between the 2 leases (GC & LC) shot 200 birds (Mostly weekends and 2 hunters). I'm very optimistic about the lease in LC for next season. I was not properly set up for it and still managed a good number of birds. I was in the same boat as everyone else as the GW Teal never showed due to the high water in GC and previously you could count on them until the last day to fill limits. Without my little friends the second season was very slow and we ran out of decoying birds. Additionally, the water was salty there which puzzled me because of the rain I thought it would have been more to the fresh side. I'm not sure if the GWT were not down of just displaced due to the availability of water in pastures and other areas that would normally be dry. However, I am thankful for another season and am looking forward to the next one God willing. Chance your group had a good year, especially in the first spilt. Please share some of your video footage with the group. Your guys hunt hard give them some air time : ).
Old 01-26-2015, 12:48 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,038

Horrible year ! Couldn't wait for the closer !!
Old 01-26-2015, 12:53 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,577
Default Over..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMP CANARD View Post
Horrible year ! Couldn't wait for the closer !!
I can't say mine was horrible, but I am kind of glad it is over! Bittersweet..
Old 01-26-2015, 02:19 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerenemo View Post
I have no real complaints and between the 2 leases (GC & LC) shot 200 birds (Mostly weekends and 2 hunters). I'm very optimistic about the lease in LC for next season. I was not properly set up for it and still managed a good number of birds. I was in the same boat as everyone else as the GW Teal never showed due to the high water in GC and previously you could count on them until the last day to fill limits. Without my little friends the second season was very slow and we ran out of decoying birds. Additionally, the water was salty there which puzzled me because of the rain I thought it would have been more to the fresh side. I'm not sure if the GWT were not down of just displaced due to the availability of water in pastures and other areas that would normally be dry. However, I am thankful for another season and am looking forward to the next one God willing. Chance your group had a good year, especially in the first spilt. Please share some of your video footage with the group. Your guys hunt hard give them some air time : ).
Will do buddy. Got a ton of footage to go through first though. Glad we got our ruff start straightened out between everyone, and look forward to seeing yall next season. And shout out to Big Hutch while I'm at it lol Great guys all of ya.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:03 PM
Redfish

Cash: 843

Had a pretty good year . Finished the year with a hunt with my son. Kaplan area. Mixed bag 9 gw teal 1 gray rest ring necks and spoonies. Had a blast and put smiles on my son's face. Come on september
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CLOSING WEEKEND.jpg (89.8 KB, 166 views)
Old 01-26-2015, 04:05 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

I'm glad it's over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Flounder

Cash: 986

Quite a few good hunts like this

150124_005.jpg
Old 01-26-2015, 04:17 PM
Flounder

Cash: 986
Default Good first split too

141122_003.jpg
Old 01-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

Hunting at my lease in the marsh in Boston, La first split was better than most, the second split started with a bang then slowed down with a few good hunts mixed in. Ended up with 244 killed out of my blind with a mixture of teal, mallards, and greys made up most of the second split. Ended up around 400 ducks for the whole lease.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:48 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061

Averaged 1.3ish specs per gun. Targeted specs primarily. Ducks didn't show up until last week of season. Verm parish
Old 01-27-2015, 02:23 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb View Post
Decent year on vbay. Ruddy ducks made up most our bag with an occasional scaup or bonus merganser. Interested to see what everyone else did. If u don't mind put your area where u hunt, amount killed, and who u lease from.
How do ruddy ducks taste?
Old 01-27-2015, 04:54 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,315

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaLatt View Post
How do ruddy ducks taste?
We let the kids shoot some of them and couldn't tell difference. We do breast ours though.