SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,391
Default Ammunition

Anyone here ever shot Hornady SST interlokts? I bought some yesterday at Academy. I shot Winchester XP3 270 130gr last year and they workedfine. Academy didn't have any and I asked if they still made them and he said he didn't know.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Banned

i have had some bullet failure (jacket to core separation) with the winchester's. never shot interlokts but I am a firm believer in remington core-lokts, the damage i've seen done by core lokts is just devastating.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Ling

I tried the core lokts and just wasn't happy with the grouping.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Banned

how far are you shooting? I am getting less than 1 moa with my core lokts out of the 700
Old 10-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Ling

We were sighting in at 50 yds. I'm just not keen on the soft tips. Something in my mind tells me those little dings on the tips affect the flight of the bullet. Just my opinion thought.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:22 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

core lokts are the best bang for your buck. thats all i shot out of my 308 and i can get them touching at 50 yards. for hunting you really cant go wrong, every animal i have shot with them either drop or run maybe 20 yards.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder_smacker View Post
core lokts are the best bang for your buck. thats all i shot out of my 308 and i can get them touching at 50 yards. for hunting you really cant go wrong, every animal i have shot with them either drop or run maybe 20 yards.
same here, the only time i've lost a deer with core lokts that i knew was a hit was a long long shot with a compact rifle shooting off hand.

i did shoot a buck with a federal premium bonded bullet and it acted like a full metal jacket, i will never do that again.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Ling

Well, I'll give the Hornady's a try this year and see what happens. Dangit I'm fired up.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:22 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

only other bullet i would ever switch to is the vital shocks. guy in the lease hunted with them last year and dropped every deer/hog he shot. but for 50 bucks a box ill stick with my 17 dollar core lokts
Old 10-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
We were sighting in at 50 yds. I'm just not keen on the soft tips. Something in my mind tells me those little dings on the tips affect the flight of the bullet. Just my opinion thought.
I use the Cor-locks with good results, but I mostly hunt in the woods where my shots are always less than 100 yds…..usually around 50 yards.

RD…..I too have wondered about the long range effect of the somewhat less than smooth tips on the Cor-lock bullets.

Has anyone ever tried smoothing out [sharpen?] the tips of a Cor-lock bullet? What effect did this have on the bullet accuracy? Did the bullet perform the same when shooting a Deer?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556
Default ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I use the Cor-locks with good results, but I mostly hunt in the woods where my shots are always less than 100 yds…..usually around 50 yards.

RD…..I too have wondered about the long range effect of the somewhat less than smooth tips on the Cor-lock bullets.

Has anyone ever tried smoothing out [sharpen?] the tips of a Cor-lock bullet? What effect did this have on the bullet accuracy? Did the bullet perform the same when shooting a Deer?
unless you were to use a micrometer to measure the surface of the bullet each and every time you touched it w/ a file or sand paper you risk
getting a bullet that is out of balance and this could cause you to have ammo that you can not even put on paper much less count on when hunting.
same thing can happen if you start fooling around w/ the hollow in a hollow point bullet.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

i use core-lockts... their awesome !!!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Redfish

Cash: 600

I have been using Federal Premium Nosler ballistic tips 130 grain 270 for the past few years and have not had to track any game...These things really do a number on em and group really good out of my gun...