SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

View Poll Results: Out of the 3 which would you prefer?
Leupold Rifleman 7 35.00%
Nikon ProStaff/Buckmaster 11 55.00%
Burris Fulfield II 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Banned

Default Budget Deer Optics

Hit it

Just joined the 7mm-08 club today
Old 11-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Ling

Cash: 512

nikon prostaff. hard ta beat for that price and that quality
Old 11-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Banned

yeah i had a 2X7 prostaff on an AR, very impressed with the way that scope was built, shooting a 4-14 nikon on my .270, like it too...

but hate to get tunnelvision b/c i'm not really a nikon fan boy yet...
Old 11-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 600

Take a look at the Bushnell Elite 3200. Good scopes for the money.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Banned

I will, i see 3 votes for leupold already, seems like your paying a lot for the name with them if you ask me....

i'm curious to see the results of this poll, i'm not going to vote on it.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:55 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,811

I own Leupold and Nikon....I like my Leupold but feel like I have just as nice scope with the Nikon Buckmaster for several dollars less....

The only problem I am having with my Nikon is I can't seem to get a deer in the cross hairs this year...
Old 11-02-2009, 01:13 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I have never used a Leupold or Burris.

I bought a Nikon Prostaff back in Jan. I find it is very clear....If I saw a buck @ 200 yards....I could tell you how many points.

Problem with my Nikon.......on a morning when it was in the low 30's, I think I breathed on the scope and it fogged up when I was trying to take a shot.

Then yesterday.....it was a very humid morning and water was rainning down [the scope was covered with water drops] for several hours, and the scope was "foggy" for the first couple of hours of the morning. I thought the Nikon scopes were filled with something [N2 ?] and were not supposed to fog up.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Gerald, they are filled with N2......you need to take yours back if its fogging on the inside of the scope, I have several, not a problem

The Leupold rifleman has 1/2 MOA. It says 1/2 but it doesn't seem to be 1/2, You can move it 1" right & it might move 3" inches right. Don't like that. It's a ***** to zero (fine tune)....Most scopes have 1/4 MOA. Messed with one yesterday on my sons Browning micro 7mm-08 for about an hour & was ready to beat it off with a hammer! Finally got it.

Last edited by wtretrievers; 11-02-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Banned

How much you looking to spend? I have a Zeiss Conquest 4-12X56 that I might get rid of.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Banned

Default Burris

I have the Fullfield II w/ the Ballistic Plex rectile. It is awesome. I paid $220 and got a free Garmin etrex gps with it. You can get either the gps or a pair of binoculars with the scope for that price. I would also recommend the Burris signature zee rings as they come with inserts to protect your scope. Check out opticsplanet.com for the scope and the rings. You will not regret it one bit.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Banned

does the burris have "click" adjustments that can be made with your fingers?

checked out the reviews of the scopes on cabelas and the zeiss, burris, nikon, and leupolds all get between 4.4 and 4.8 out of 5 stars. nikon prostaff wins with 4.8 out of 5. did find a zeiss 3X9 for 399 brand new which isn't bad.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Bruce, I've been impressed with the Nikon prostaff's, I have five, 4- 3x9x40's & 1- 3x9x50. 3 of them are on 45-70's & they have stayed true on these hard kicking mules! Not a problem with any of them, I have a Burris fullfield that I bought in '91 with Burris mounts on a Remington 7600 7mm-08 & have had to sight in twice, when I mounted it & once several years later don't know if I bumped it hard on something or what??? Take it out every year & squeze 3 off & they're right on the money. One inch high at 100. Good scopes mean alot, but good mounts are the key!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post

checked out the reviews of the scopes on cabelas and the zeiss, burris, nikon, and leupolds all get between 4.4 and 4.8 out of 5 stars. nikon prostaff wins with 4.8 out of 5. did find a zeiss 3X9 for 399 brand new which isn't bad.
It does have the click adjustments. Once you sight it in you will be good though. With the ballistic plex it gives you differnt marks to compensate for greater distances so you don't have to "click" it when you are in the field. Be sure to take a look at the Burris Signature Zee rings and bases no matter which scope you get.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post

Buy it. Zeiss' worst glass is better than the best glass of all the other scopes discussed in this thread. deal.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:31 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/38974-34.html

la these scopes are made solid. everywhere you read reviews of this scope they are good. daves gun shop keeps them in stock go look through one you will be impressed. i have the older model of this same exact scope and the only scopes that look better through the glass in ziess and the big s. for the money you can not go wrong. i have beat up this scope and it holds zero all day. the turrets still work after 4 years of USE on my 270wsm.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Redfish

Cash: 602

I'm gonna have to go with Bushnell on this one. They don't get the glory of the other you named but they are good quality. I have been having one on a 30-30 for about 10 years, still going strong.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
Gerald, they are filled with N2......you need to take yours back if its fogging on the inside of the scope, I have several, not a problem
I shipped my Nikon scope back [to Calf.] today. Not sure how long this will take......est. 10 days to 2 weeks???

I tried to talk the Customer Service guy into shipping me a New scope first and bill me for it........then I would send my "OLD" one back after I got the new one and get my money credit back. He told me they could not do that.

I gave him a very hard time about not having the use of my rifle when the "GUN" season has just opened and now I will miss a big part of the season. I told him that my next scope I buy will be from a competor, and not a Nikon. I kept telling him that "Customer Service" is suppose to make a Customer happy.......and I was not happy and he should be able to help me.

Poor Guy......
Old 11-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Banned

well i did some shopping and checked out several scopes, i think the zeiss conquest will be the one
Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,801

Hey Gerald I was just thinking that if you want you can use my Nikon Prostaff off my 30-06 until yours comes back since I won't be shooting that gun anymore this year. Just a thought its a 3X9X40 so let me know.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Sailfish

Thanks for the offer. I have the old scope that I could put back on the gun....but then I would have to re-sight it in.

I may just Bow hunt in the Atchafalaya basin, until I get a "NEW" scope to put on the rifle.

But I think at Clear Creek the Rut will be full swing starting in a day or two, so I may borrow a gun from someone to make a hunt there.