SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 11-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,477
Default Any suggestions?

I have acquired a 13 year old for youth w/e this coming w/e in Mississippi, & he hasn't had much experience shooting, something I'm not used too. My 2 boys are 15 & 17 & have been shooting since they were very young.

The problem is I had him shooting a .22 this past w/e & he is right eye dominate & left handed. So when he shoots he puts the rifle on his left shoulder & leans his head over & looks through his right eye. He could group consistent at 40 yards, just worried when a .243 or bigger in his hands to hunt with it is going to bust his azz! Don't have time to switch him over & get him used to shooting the correct way.
I tried to get him to shoot through his left eye but he had trouble, also off his right shoulder & it's uncomfortable, I know he needs seat time.

Any suggestions??????

Last edited by wtretrievers; 11-10-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

put him down and get another one... lol thats weird... i dunno man, wish i could help !!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
put him down and get another one... lol thats weird... i dunno man, wish i could help !!
That's great Jordan, Yea, I could see me telling his Mom.....Uhhh.....this kid ain't gonna work.....you got another one!
Ling

Cash: 1,391

Is he leaving both eyes open when aiming? That may help. Only thing I can see in this situation is practice. Unfortunately time isn't on your side right now. Good luck. RD
Swordfish

Cash: 908

My brother was right handed but left eye dominant, we just sat him down and made him shoot with his right eye until he got used to it. It took about a box of bullets but then he was comfortable.
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
That's great Jordan, Yea, I could see me telling his Mom.....Uhhh.....this kid ain't gonna work.....you got another one!
lmao
Old 11-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,543

Hows the kick on a .243...is it enough to give'm a racoon eye if he is too close?
Old 11-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
Hows the kick on a .243...is it enough to give'm a racoon eye if he is too close?
.243's got a good thump to them. Been there, done that. LMAO
Old 11-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Great White

Quote:
i thought it was a good idea....drop the "backwards kid" off at academy or toys-r-us and find someone else...
Old 11-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
That's my concern is it popping him & he not want to hunt anymore. I'm thinking this w/e we will hunt out of a stand with a rail or box stand that way I can put my hand across the top of the gun right in front of the scope & may help on the recoil. I think if I can let him practice with a pellet gun around the camp & shoot off his right shoulder only he'll be fine over time.....just needs practice.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
i thought it was a good idea....drop the "backwards kid" off at academy or toys-r-us and find someone else...
I gotta make this work! HIS MOM IS HOT!!!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Great White

haaaaaaaaaa get 'em u ol' hern dawg !!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Ling

Quote:
I gotta make this work! HIS MOM IS HOT!!!!!
GETRDONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Work your magic.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Great White

lol... hell i'll take him hunting; he gotta hot aunt ?? !!!!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

[quote=wtretrievers;74932]I have acquired a 13 year old for youth w/e this coming w/e in Mississippi, & he hasn't had much experience shooting, something I'm not used too. My 2 boys are 15 & 17 & have been shooting since they were very young.

The problem is I had him shooting a .22 this past w/e & he is right dominate & left handed. So when he shoots he puts the rifle on his left shoulder & leans his head over & looks through his right eye. He could group consistent at 40 yards, just worried when a .243 or bigger in his hands to hunt with it is going to bust his azz! Don't have time to switch him over & get him used to shooting the correct way.
I tried to get him to shoot through his left eye but he had trouble, also off his right shoulder & it's uncomfortable, I know he needs seat time.

Any suggestions??????[/quote]

At this point......I would suggest you give him some more instructions and have him hold what ever gun he will be using and see if he will have enough eye relief to be safe. Maybe don't even mention "eye relief".....just look to see if he is holding the gun in a safe position.

This can all be done at home......shooting can come later before actually hunting......if there is time to shoot.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Ling

Gerald, I did let him shoot the .243 but out of a lead sled. His eye relief is good but with his head leaning over the stock is what I have concern about, may be a trip to the denist after the hunt! Practice is what he needs, just wish I would have known about this earlier. I think the pellet gun & scope will work to get him lined out but just going to take some time.
I used to shoot (bows) with a guy who was left eye dominate & right handed & he would wear a patch over his left eye to shoot. May slap some duct tape on him & cut him lose!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Your call.......but maybe spend a little while shooting first thing in the morning and then go hunting.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Banned

I am left eye dominant and shot right handed. I missed twice trying to "lean" over and see through the scope. He just needs to learn to shoot right handed and feel uncomfortable. You can also try using an eye patch over his right eye. I learned that I would rather have a deer on the ground and be uncomfortable than miss again. I wear a patch over my left eye when I bow hunt as I shoot right handed. They call me one eyed willie at the camp. If you get him a deer you will have a better chance with the mom!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:54 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,824

I am right handed but I shoot left handed because I am left eye dominant. My dad always tried to change me around but ????? Let him do whatever he is comfortable with, he is a tough 13 year old boy and will figure it out quickly...
Old 11-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Ling

I think the patch thing will work for the w/e. But he will be learning to shoot right handed. He switch hits in baseball so it shouldn't take him long. Deer or no deer the "Mom" thing will be ok also!