SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-11-2015, 01:16 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633
Default glass

i have a cheap pair of strike kings and the polarity is ok, fit decent on my larger than normal head, but i don't know if it is subconscious cause i know they are cheap, but i can tell the difference from my costa man o war shades i had before

http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/show...ght=sunglasses
Old 05-11-2015, 02:27 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,557

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
I just cant see paying high dollar for disposable items like sunglasses but then I don't go out on the water every single day like the charter captains do
I disagree. If you can't spend a couple hundred dollars to protect your eyes what else is more important? You only get 1 pair of eyes.

It's kind of like spending a little more money to eat healthy food rather than eating the cheaper junk food. If it helps you live healthier it is worth it everytime in my opinion.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
I disagree. If you can't spend a couple hundred dollars to protect your eyes what else is more important? You only get 1 pair of eyes.

It's kind of like spending a little more money to eat healthy food rather than eating the cheaper junk food. If it helps you live healthier it is worth it everytime in my opinion.
Agree x10000, take care of your eyes and feet. Never go cheap on sunglasses or shoes
Old 05-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post

No doubt!

I found that the more I spent on glasses the more careful I was with them, I used to be against spending money on something I'd break or lose. That was only because I was careless and threw them around like a pack of gum or a receipt in my truck.

Not anymore, protect your eyes.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:14 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 974

Costa's Brine with 580 green or charcoal lenses. Easy to wear all day, durable, holes to vent heat away from lenses and prevent fogging.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Flounder

Cash: 924

Maui Jims or Smith's both with polarized glass lens, color depends on the water you fish, spend the money on a good pair its helps, but if you can't keep up or take care of your own gear then choose according to your habits...
Old 05-12-2015, 11:06 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633
Default color

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyc4 View Post
Costa's Brine with 580 green or charcoal lenses. Easy to wear all day, durable, holes to vent heat away from lenses and prevent fogging.

how much difference does the color of the lens help, and what difference does it make, my last pair had a dark grey lens, but now i am looking at getting the copper color lens
Old 05-12-2015, 11:09 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 974

I've had the green and the dark grey and the difference is minimal. I think the Grey is better for all around. I fish river, inshore and offshore with my greys and can't tell the difference from my green. Blue is slightly better when I'm offshore, but not enough to make it a game changer.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:10 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyc4 View Post
I've had the green and the dark grey and the difference is minimal. I think the Grey is better for all around. I fish river, inshore and offshore with my greys and can't tell the difference from my green. Blue is slightly better when I'm offshore, but not enough to make it a game changer.

Totally agree with you. I will also sayI can't tell much of a difference between the 400 and the 580. I have a big head and have trouble finding glasses to fit off-the-shelf. I went on the coasters website and did a search for large and extra-large fit models. That may help you out. I have a pair of green 580 Fisch's and a pair of grey 400 Harpoons. 8 out of 10 times I wear the harpoons. The Fisch's weigh a ton. I had a pair of Man o wars that were stolen but my eyes sweated and they fogged. I only wear the Fisch's cause I paid 280$ for them and don't want to feel like an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2015, 06:52 AM
Flounder

Cash: 678

I ended up buying the Fantail 580 glass in green mirror. The overall suggestions for inshore was green mirror but like many of you say, not a big difference than other colors. I wanted white frames but found silver frames on Amazon for $168.00 vs $240.00 for white. Maybe silver wasn't selling but I like the color. Thanks for all the advice. Now I put them on the shelf, don't trust myself to wear them. I will break them out in a couple days when I get on the road.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:34 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Haynes View Post
I ended up buying the Fantail 580 glass in green mirror. The overall suggestions for inshore was green mirror but like many of you say, not a big difference than other colors. I wanted white frames but found silver frames on Amazon for $168.00 vs $240.00 for white. Maybe silver wasn't selling but I like the color. Thanks for all the advice. Now I put them on the shelf, don't trust myself to wear them. I will break them out in a couple days when I get on the road.
You'll like them. The biggest reason I prefer the green is fishing i n cloudy weather or in shaded areas. The blue lens with my old eyes just wouldn't cut it. With the green, I'm still able to see.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:38 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,241

maui jims, get the frame that fits your face with the bronze polarized lenses... that's my favorite. I also have the dark and green lenses... but i always go back to the bronze. i like my costa's as well... but the lenses on the maui jims are far better. i use them of fishing, shooting sporting clays and just daily... always have them on me.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:44 PM
Redfish

Cash: 850

In order to keep your glasses protected, I would get a very inexpensive lanyard to put on them. I use the kind that I can tighten. There are times that I pull the lanyard tight and wear the glasses close around my neck to prevent me from breaking them when leaning over an object such as my tailgate. My glasses stay around my neck all the time. If you have never tried driving in the rain or fog with them you should. Polarized lenses block intense reflected light which allows your eyes to see past the reflection. This is why you can see better when looking into the water. It is amazing when you wear them in rain or fog, allows you to see much farther.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:12 PM
Redfish

Cash: 692

Rudy project Zyons. Grey polarized. Has an adjustable and replaceable nose piece.

I've adjusted mine to meet the contours of my nose bridge. Try doing that will glasses that have the nose piece molded into the frames.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:41 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 441

Has anyone ever sent back costa's for new lenses or repairs? How much is it to send them off for new lenses when they get scratched and scuffed?
Old 05-14-2015, 04:13 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,003

I'll never get poly lenses again. Just wiping them with a cloth causes scratches.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:00 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,554

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck cc View Post
maui jims, get the frame that fits your face with the bronze polarized lenses... that's my favorite. I also have the dark and green lenses... but i always go back to the bronze. i like my costa's as well... but the lenses on the maui jims are far better. i use them of fishing, shooting sporting clays and just daily... always have them on me.
This! I bought my first pair of maui jims a few weeks ago and they are fantastic. My costa 580's now sit at home. Also have a pair of kaenon's which are good glasses but not near as good as the maui jims.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Redfish

Cash: 837

I have the Costa Man-O-War frames with amber/green coat poly's. I wear bi-focal so they are not available in glass. I love the glasses, but would like to hear others who have prescription bi-focals. I don't know if it was the eyeglass place or Costa, but i had to try 3 times to get the bi-focal right. its ok, now but not great, they put the bi-focal almost to the edge of the glass. Also don't know if it is the Man-o-war frames with the rounded lens or what, but they get me dizzy when I look down at where Im stepping, or turning my head while driving. Anyone else have that trouble with any prescription costa's or Jim Maui's? After insurance, I paid $500. Sure thought I'd get a better set of glasses.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:29 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 493

If you are looking for Plano or non prescription Costas are excellent, but if you require rx or prescription lens maui jim is the best I've ever handled, but be ready to pay for them single vision can run 350 to almost 500 and bifocals can be north of 650
Old 05-16-2015, 03:38 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 671

That $500 price tag for script shades is CRAZY. I've been experimenting with moderate priced clip-ons and have found a fairly good set they sell in the optical area at Sams. This brand stretches via a spring in between the lenses and has two hooks on the outside edges of the lenses that slip over your prescription glasses. I fish mostly inshore so my clips are bronze. The polarization with these clips is adequate and they don't fall off when jarred. If anybody has clips they really like, chime in please. Oh yea, the price was $29.00.