SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > Quitters and Losers Forum

Quitters and Losers Forum Come here to discuss self-improvement challenges, such as losing weight or quitting tobacco, alcohol, drugs, etc. NO BASHING and NO OFF-TOPIC POSTING in this forum! Lead, follow, or get outta the way!

Old 07-21-2016, 08:23 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556
Default Atkins Diet

Anyone done the Atkins diet with success ? I started it Monday and have a couple questions,
Old 07-22-2016, 01:03 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,480

Kicks butt for true carnivores ( cats). Probably not so good for omnivores (ppl). Best of luck but not really a healthy way to lose weight.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:09 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I was never strict about it, but I did drop 30 lbs focusing more on cutting carbs than cutting fat associated with meat and other protein intake.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:34 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

It works great! Hard to do for me bc I love Bread and Rice. But I recently dropped 25lbs eating 20g or less carbs per day.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:43 AM
Redfish

Cash: 901

Just do a search online for LCHF diets and their outcomes....especially youtube. There is more to Low Carb High Fat than just dieting. This method is used successfully by many doctors to stop diabetes, reflux, metabolic disorders, and obesity. Atkins was a pioneer in this way of eating.

PM me if you want..
Old 07-22-2016, 05:51 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,080

IMG_2227.jpgIMG_2228.jpgthis and Ultra is all you need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2016, 06:54 PM
Swordfish

[QUOTE=Duckaholic;801796]Just do a search online for LCHF diets and their outcomes....especially youtube. There is more to Low Carb High Fat than just dieting. This method is used successfully by many doctors to stop diabetes, reflux, metabolic disorders, and obesity. Atkins was a pioneer in this way of eating.
Doc told me im pre diabetic and i am obese according to their charts. Wanting to drop 30 - 40 lbs . I can give up carbs and eat salads and low carb. i just need some beef and pork (if possible) in my diet, chicken ,fish and shrimp are good but need some cow
Old 07-22-2016, 10:35 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Screw all these fad diets. All you need is an active lifestyle, portion control and better choices. Diets are only temporary. It's perfectly fine to eat bad from time to time, just don't eat 5 pounds of food in one sitting. I know that's hard to do because of the amazing Cajun culture we have. I recently dropped 25 pounds by just cutting out soda and junk food and portion control when I do eat bad.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Swordfish

Due to health restrictions the only real exercise i can do is walk. this time of year w/ the heat it's only on the treadmill. We stood out in the heat 3 hrs yesterday for Deputy Brad Garafolas funeral procession and i'm paying for it today.
I cut out sodas 2 months ago, going on a very low carb diet . Luckily being an experienced cook i can still have my cajun food minus the rice and gravy.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

This was pretty much the diet I went on years ago except for some reason it required a cup of grapefruit juice or half a grapefruit at every meal . You can eat all the cow or any other protein you want including fried fish and chicken or whatever. Bacon and eggs for breakfast every morning. Basically no beans , potato's , rice , bread , sugar . I went from 275 to 175 in less than year and never was hungry. You'll get creative as you go . And I never did a lick of exercise . I kept it off over 10 years till I started drinking beer then got laid up with health problems and am fixing to take it off again .
Old 07-24-2016, 08:04 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
This was pretty much the diet I went on years ago except for some reason it required a cup of grapefruit juice or half a grapefruit at every meal . You can eat all the cow or any other protein you want including fried fish and chicken or whatever. Bacon and eggs for breakfast every morning. Basically no beans , potato's , rice , bread , sugar . I went from 275 to 175 in less than year and never was hungry. You'll get creative as you go . And I never did a lick of exercise . I kept it off over 10 years till I started drinking beer then got laid up with health problems and am fixing to take it off again .
Need a Grapefruit...... I usually have trouble giving them away.
1 tree and I usually get 300+ a year.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grapefruit.....JPG (74.7 KB, 168 views)
Old 07-25-2016, 06:32 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
I'd rather be overweight.

After HS I gained a bunch of weight, went from 238 to 196 with abs staring to show. Wife, kids and an office job came along and I'm up to 250. Its time for me to get serious about losing some weight as I approach my 40th birthday in a year. Id like to get down to 210-220, my plan is to eat less and move around alot more.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:57 AM
Flounder

Cash: 521

Look at the Paleo diet, pretty much same thing, meat and healthy fats. Anything a caveman could hunt and gather and stay away from processed foods.
I did pretty good for a while, but working offshore it gets to be a challenge.
Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2016, 11:34 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I have some friends having success with a keto diet too. It's similar to Atkins.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:54 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 838

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you working out?

Many ways to lose weight! Cutting out carbs is not the way to go especially if your over 40.

You can simply cut out sugar, beer, cokes and dairy, fried foods and lose 20 pounds.

You could start a high protein diet, still at carbs, and some heathy fats and completely turn your body around.

But what are your goals?

People always ask what to do to get to a certain body fat percentage or certain weight. But it's hard to put someone on the right path with out knowing their activity level each day.

We have a man that turned 54 6 months ago. Couldn't walk to his truck without breathing heavy. Cut him off of carbonated drinks, higher protein intake, no sugar, no dairy, no fried foods, 4 meals a day. Went from 265 pot belly, 28% body fat to 245 lean mean 14%. Started him off walking 20
Mins a day and he is now doing classes 5 times a day.

Just depends on what you wasn't to do. Worst thing is to cut OUT CARBS... Your energy comes from carbs. Atkins is the worst diet be smarter do some research

Old 07-31-2016, 08:52 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrutt View Post
What are you trying to accomplish? Are you working out?

Many ways to lose weight! Cutting out carbs is not the way to go especially if your over 40.

You can simply cut out sugar, beer, cokes and dairy, fried foods and lose 20 pounds.

You could start a high protein diet, still at carbs, and some heathy fats and completely turn your body around.

But what are your goals?

People always ask what to do to get to a certain body fat percentage or certain weight. But it's hard to put someone on the right path with out knowing their activity level each day.

We have a man that turned 54 6 months ago. Couldn't walk to his truck without breathing heavy. Cut him off of carbonated drinks, higher protein intake, no sugar, no dairy, no fried foods, 4 meals a day. Went from 265 pot belly, 28% body fat to 245 lean mean 14%. Started him off walking 20
Mins a day and he is now doing classes 5 times a day.

Just depends on what you wasn't to do. Worst thing is to cut OUT CARBS... Your energy comes from carbs. Atkins is the worst diet be smarter do some research

If you read above due to physical limitations all i can do for exercise is walk and then only so far . I am at 14 days today and have lost 15 lbs. If atkins is the worst diet how come doctors are still recommending it?
Old 08-01-2016, 07:04 AM
Trophy Trout

Default Atkins Diet

Atkins does allow weight to be lost along with major energy levels to be lost. To many better diets then to cut out carbs to lose water weight. Do research on recovery and what your daily Macros should be!!!!!! You will then question your doctor.

I would read and get real advice then from one doctor. I would want someone to lose weight, build lean muscle, strengthen joints and be able to do more then walk a lot soon then cutting out necessary carbs your body needs.

We go on very low cal diets to cut weight for our shows. Which is only For 4 weeks. On stage at less then 8% BF is only healthy for a couple hours.

Being told to add red meat and pork over chicken and fish is not very smart. Yes adding a very LEAN CUT steak once a week in your diet is great. Pork lol someone has drank the you tube cool aid

Good luck with all of that but I seriously would research what your body macros should be..

As for as walking, which is great. Grab some light Dumbbells curls, shoulder raises, squats, etc, etc. is better and will help muscles and burn fat more. Even if you only can do 2-3 each. That's better then you've been doing and you build from there. In 3-4 weeks you will be a lot further in the game. Building your heart stronger, muscles, as joints which will over all make your entire body feel better.

Last edited by fullrutt; 08-01-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:50 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

Actually if you do Atkins or Keto correctly you never loose energy.... but you have to get your body to start using Fat as energy instead of carbs. Alot of triathlon ppl do this. Bc you cant store carbs for a long run... but u can store fat as energy

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2016, 08:20 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
Actually if you do Atkins or Keto correctly you never loose energy.... but you have to get your body to start using Fat as energy instead of carbs. Alot of triathlon ppl do this. Bc you cant store carbs for a long run... but u can store fat as energy

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Some what true a triathlon person is also doing more then walking.. Getting their heart rate to where it needs to be to burn energy from the fats. A triathlon person is also very strict on diets to also get their body to a certain weight to ensure the battle they are about to but their body through. Once finished most all we train (just like boxers,MMA fighters, crossfiters, Spartan racers, and even physics competitors) have to kick their macros back up with eating balanced carbs

Old 08-01-2016, 12:47 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Eman, read up on the Southbeach diet.

Good luck.