SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,393
Default Squirrel recipes?

Anybody got any good recipes for squirrel, besides in a gravy. Thats how i usually cook em
Old 12-22-2010, 07:47 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

i had them fried once they was pretty good.......i guess they just put em in some grease and flour.....i was drinking pretty heavy instead of watching. but they was good or i could have been just drunk....sorry im not much help
Old 12-22-2010, 08:40 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,824

I smoked some squirrels and quail wrapped in bacon. It doesn't take long but just enough to get some smoke in them, them I coated with barbeque sauce like Baby Rays, put in an aluminum pan covered with aluminum foil and moved to the opposite side of the pit for about one hour.....

It would melt in your mouth...nothing but a bunch of guys sucking squirrel bones.....

I will also buy smoked rabbits from Billeadeaux's in Lake Charles and coat in barbeque sauce, wrap it up and throw on the pit when we are camping, hunting, etc...cook some garlic bread and a pot of baked beans..you got a meal, fit for a King..
Old 12-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,393

Damn bluechip, that sounds good. Im smoking a turkey for Christmas, Might do some squirrels also, about how long you smoke the squirrels before foiling them?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:28 PM
The Camp Cook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast View Post
Damn bluechip, that sounds good. Im smoking a turkey for Christmas, Might do some squirrels also, about how long you smoke the squirrels before foiling them?
It just depends on how hot your fire is. I didn't go to long because I didn't want to dry them out but it was probably somewhere around an hour but I was on a low heat 200 to 225 degrees. Just keep an eye on them. When they start to tighten up and change colors is when I foil them. As soon as they get that rich smoke color I pull them.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
I smoked some squirrels and quail wrapped in bacon. It doesn't take long but just enough to get some smoke in them, them I coated with barbeque sauce like Baby Rays, put in an aluminum pan covered with aluminum foil and moved to the opposite side of the pit for about one hour.....

It would melt in your mouth...nothing but a bunch of guys sucking squirrel bones.....

I will also buy smoked rabbits from Billeadeaux's in Lake Charles and coat in barbeque sauce, wrap it up and throw on the pit when we are camping, hunting, etc...cook some garlic bread and a pot of baked beans..you got a meal, fit for a King..

Probably the best recipe for the year and funny too!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 12-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post

Can't do the smoked meats due to indigestion. I boil mine until they get tender. Rub with oil and Tony's. Put on pit on indirect heat until they change color. Coat with Sweet Baby Rays sauce and cook until sauce is caramel color. Works good with coon and rabbit also. Also rub them with Louisiana hot sauce before putting on pit is good.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

I know you really don't want to cook them in a gravy, but my wifes papa cooks squirrel and dumplings, and it'll make you slap yo mama.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

If ya fry em, put some small slices in the meat. This helps cook more evenly and keeps em from getting tough from being in the grease too long.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:00 AM
The Camp Cook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKGOGETTER View Post
I know you really don't want to cook them in a gravy, but my wifes papa cooks squirrel and dumplings, and it'll make you slap yo mama.
that's my favorite....
Old 12-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 860

i left some charcoal under your carport. What time do we eat?
Old 12-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 988
Slimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfence View Post
i had them fried once they was pretty good.......i guess they just put em in some grease and flour.....i was drinking pretty heavy instead of watching. but they was good or i could have been just drunk....sorry im not much help

you never are!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

josh do some work and get off the computer
Old 12-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 988

Son I been bowed up like a double headed cutworm!!!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

i boil the squirrel's then take the meat and put it in a crock pot with BBQ sauce then throw dat on bread !!