SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 03-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,086

I didn't know that Haynies were all wood...... I had considered them and do like the boats. But that $$$$$ for a boat made of wood and then covered with fiberglass...... No way.
For that money I'll get a 240 triton and have 10k left over.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717

But PureBay, It's not a HAYNIE!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Red Snapper

According to the man on their home page, "It's gotta be a HAYNIE BEST boat on the water"
Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by specknation View Post
I have own plenty of boats from flats boats to skiffs to bay boats some high quality some
not so high quality can someone explain to me how can you spend 40,000.00 to 50,0000 dollars on a rolled edge boat not saying it is a bad boat, I am fishing out of a rolled edge boat now, after looking over the haynie I see the boat is made good and apparently take a lot of HP and go real fast but between the fit and finish and hardware I could never spend that kind of money on one. I do understand you can customize your layout deck
size etc. thats worth some extra money.
flat coming out of the hole, fast, smooth in the chop, solid, dry

look at the cost of electronics/jackplates/engines/trailers and add it up

the z21 model starts at 12500, you could order the hardware online and install it yourself and save some $$$$$$$$$$$
Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

Haynie is great boat! But has the fad of the "hot" boat on the market right now.....getting that price for rolled edge boats is amazing. More power to Chris for making a good product. The cost of new engines is getting out of hand too. So those 2 mixed together make for some steep prices.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Open View Post
9. Most 21-22ft bay boats with Deuce and 1/4's barely touch 60mph, but Haynies's do 65 and better
And that is of utmost importance.

I'd much rather have a Triton or Blackjack.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

Would I rather have a roll gunnel with plastic cleats and do "65" or a finished liner boat and do 60? Hmmm......
Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Banned

that's the beauty of the free market, it drives innovation
Old 03-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
And that is of utmost importance.

I'd much rather have a Triton or Blackjack.
yep....new blackjack with new yammy sho engine runs 65. Thats what I want!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Banned

not propped for a fishing load, 3 guys, and full livewells
Old 03-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouchub View Post
Would I rather have a roll gunnel with plastic cleats and do "65" or a finished liner boat and do 60? Hmmm......

The money you'd save would finance a buncha fishin'.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,193

Of the boats I have owned or driven (blue wave, xpress, skeeter, nautic star, sea pro, triton) none can come close to the ride of my Haynie. 2 weeks ago I crossed big lake with a 25mph wind and not one drop of water on me. I have not had an opportunity to ride in a blackjack but I understand that they are great boats.

I do think that they are a bit overpriced given the reasons discussed above but they are the "hot" boat right now and with demand as high as it is, that probably will not change in the near future. The only thing I would change from my purchase is that I would have bought a Yamaha. I may trade it and do exactly that next summer.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cheers

They certainly are great boats, and would not be ashamed to own one. very sleek,dry,solid built vessels. I do feel they are over priced considering a wood core, rolled top, and plastic hardware, but beauty and price is in the eyes of the beholder. I have seen a couple on the water that have caught my attention, and rode in one last fall, and can say that they are nice, but still dont see how they are as highly priced as a fully composite kevlar lined hull with a first class fit and finish! To everyone his own, and if they sell for that price, and people are willing to pay it then so be it. Just not my cup of tea.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
flat coming out of the hole, fast, smooth in the chop, solid, dry

look at the cost of electronics/jackplates/engines/trailers and add it up

the z21 model starts at 12500, you could order the hardware online and install it yourself and save some $$$$$$$$$$$
It cost way less to build a rolled edge boat than a liner boat, a friend of mine
just purchased a new 2010 240 Triton LTS Pro for 32,900 with a 225 optimax
If you put the Z21 on side of this Triton 240 the Triton would blow the Z21 away and save $10,000.00 not to mention resale on the Triton would be way
better. I understand what you guys or saying just does not make sense to me, a rolled edge boat has always been a way to save money in a boat purchase not spend more. The Haynie guys are laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Site Owner/Admin

I agree with all of the above posters, I would assume/guess that Chris makes much more per boat than a liner boat builder which does not seem reasonable. That being said, people are selling one to two year old Haynie's on here and on 2 cool for $40,000 to $43,000 at a very good clip so the resale of these boats is much higher than you would expect. Right now it is more about supply and demand than anything we can explain with a logical cost analysis. The same can be said for the price of gas right now. The extraction costs and processing are no where close to a $3.25 per gallon level but we pay it and as a result E&P comapneis and refiners make more per barell of crude now than they did 15 years ago.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 565

Look at the design all decks are cut square no curves they very easy to cut and cheap
to make labor and wood, I guess the high resale value is because Houston may be the
highest place on the Gulf coast to buy a boat new or used boat without question. If the
boat was lined and had a good finish with high quality hardware the price tag at 40,000 to 50,000 would be more in line.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Ling

Chris better make his $$$$$ now.
Cause in 10-12 years that lifetime warranty will b eating his azz up!! Wood & water don't mix!!!! I don't care what it's sealed or covered with!!!
U can cover a terd with gold..... But it's still a terd.
Haynie boats are a good ride, fishability is great & speed is awsome..... But the materials & finish @ any $$$$ keep me from Gettin one
Old 03-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Site Owner/Admin

A big factor in my buying decsion was how long I planned to keep the boat. Several Guides are buying these boats and never keep them more than two years. I will keep my boat 1-3 years so it dosen't matter if it lasts 10 years to me or not.

This perceived huge profit margin creates an entry point for someone else to one day come in at a lower price given the profit that has to be in this boat.

Right now people really like/want the boat so Chris can charge whatever he wants, good for him.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Ling

Question Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
A big factor in my buying decsion was how long I planned to keep the boat. Several Guides are buying these boats and never keep them more than two years. I will keep my boat 1-3 years so it dosen't matter if it lasts 10 years to me or not.

This perceived huge profit margin creates an entry point for someone else to one day come in at a lower price given the profit that has to be in this boat.

Right now people really like/want the boat so Chris can charge whatever he wants, good for him.

Totally see Ur point.
But what if the resale of these 40-50k boats drops 20-30% in the next 3-4 years. I certainly don't think the fad will last long and eventually all the owners will sell their haynie. When I buy my next boat I plan to keep it for a while. Which is why triton is the top on my list.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUREBAY2200 View Post
Totally see Ur point.
But what if the resale of these 40-50k boats drops 20-30% in the next 3-4 years. I certainly don't think the fad will last long and eventually all the owners will sell their haynie. When I buy my next boat I plan to keep it for a while. Which is why triton is the top on my list.

Agreed and Triton does make a great boat.