SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 01-19-2018, 02:26 PM
Redfish

Cash: 695
Default How to know if State land? Or private ?

Is there an app that shows louisiana property and if it's State owned or private? How do you know if you trespassing or not if there are no posted signs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2018, 02:27 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449

OnXmaps

it costs like $30 but its a great tool
Old 01-20-2018, 08:59 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth0ny View Post
Is there an app that shows louisiana property and if it's State owned or private? How do you know if you trespassing or not if there are no posted signs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Hilarious
Old 01-21-2018, 12:27 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 672
Default Try This

Office of State Lands website.
Use the link there to view the mapping website.
https://wwwprd.doa.louisiana.gov/slo/disclaimer.htm

Use the table of contents once you get to the mapping website and select drop down for State Lands and click on what you want to see.
Use Imagery/maps drop down to try different map overlays till you find one you like.
The tool bar in the upper left will get you a legend so you can see what you are looking at.

Last edited by deepblue2; 01-21-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:51 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 671

State lands map is the go to map but it comes with like a 34 page disclaimer that says that it is not accurate. You mentioned LAND, if your talking about WATER, welcome to the fight. I can show you areas on the State Lands website that are listed as public but they have gates across them. I can bring you to places that are listed as private that everybody fishes without issues. I know one that got into a fight after being accused of fishing on PRIVATE water when it turned out he was in a public bay. The police did not arrest the other guy because he produced a lease where Apache Oil was leasing this public bay to him and telling him it was his to control.
Big messed up situation. Check out Louisiana Sportsmens Coalition on the web and facebook
Old 01-22-2018, 08:44 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

"Evis102" researched and wrote a book on this very topic. It might be just what you're looking for. He sells them at www.Louisiana-Lands.com
Old 01-22-2018, 02:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

you do not have to put up posted signs in la. people are supposed to know where they are and stay off private property. I will agree that there is plenty of gray area out there where it when it comes to marsh land.

I suggest u go to your parish courthouse and ask around until someone will show you. the state land office websight will just get you into a argument or shot.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:13 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

You'll know you're on private land when the bullets start whizzin' by your head..
Old 01-22-2018, 05:34 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,917

go on line to the tax assessor office they have maps that show who owns all property including state land.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:03 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Kind of scary true story.

About 15 years ago..... a hunting buddy and I were hunting the southern part of Sherburne WMA using a boat. We hunted until dark and got back to the Whiskey Bay boat launch well after dark.

As I walked up the ramp, I was greeted by a Sheriff Officer. He asked where I had been and a few other questions. I was calm and answered his questions, but wonder why I was being questions. Then he asked if I had hunted anywhere along I-10. FYI... there is some Sherburne land on either side of I-10.

I told him no. Then another person walked over and identified me as a person he had seen hunting on his private land. This guy said that when he approached me in the woods, I started whistling to alert my buddy. He repeated several times that I was the person he saw.

We talked some more and I offered to take the officer to where I had parked my boat so he could see the "boat marks" in the mud.

I guess, my buddy and I convinced the officer we where not who they were looking for because he told us we could leave.

It was still a very scary situation that I still think about sometimes.

************************************************** **************************************
I had scouted and hunted the Sherburne land next to his property a few years before this happened. This guy (??) had but up box stands near the property lines and used a chain saw to cut 30 foot wide lanes about 100 yards long into the Sherburne property. And this guy wanted to try to get me in trouble????
Old 01-23-2018, 09:29 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

looks crazy around Terrebonne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-23-2018 8-28-02 AM.jpg (71.6 KB, 329 views)
Old 01-24-2018, 03:19 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,668

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin i was fishin View Post
looks crazy around Terrebonne
Red is disputed land, it means that someone can run you off but the state will be on your side. it's a grey area unless you go to tax assessor site for the parish in question. theres GPS numbers on the parishes I hunt.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:37 PM
Flounder

Cash: 440

I?ve been using an app called onXhunt. This app shows public land and private. Also shows who owns the private land. It tracks your gps and puts you on the map showing you where the boundaries are and keep you in the areas you need to be. It shows NWR and state ground including SB property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2018, 09:34 AM
Red Snapper

Careful, onx hunt, for the most part is correct. on our family land in W Feliciana, the tax assessors map is incorrect and onx hut uses this map. This resulted in someone hunting on our land. we havent caught up with them yet, but when i do i know they are gonna play the onx hunt card.

I am having to work with the tax assessor to get his map corrected.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:45 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449

Quote:
Careful, onx hunt, for the most part is correct. on our family land in W Feliciana, the tax assessors map is incorrect and onx hut uses this map. This resulted in someone hunting on our land. we havent caught up with them yet, but when i do i know they are gonna play the onx hunt card.

damn that sucks! I use the app and rely heavily on it, hope it doesnt get me into trouble
Old 01-25-2018, 11:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:

Well that hunter shouldn't be punished for actually trying his best to stay off your land. Hope you don't fault him for that.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:37 PM
Red Snapper

At this point not planning to involve the law. just educate and have him move his stand.