SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852
Default M-Y Wedge - product to replace the transom saver

I came across this product "M-Y Wedge" simply by accident and it looks very interesting and I was wondering what you guys thought about it and if any of you ever tried it?

naturally I can see this isn't a product about taking stress off of the transom but is instead designed for those of us who trailer with the motor in the up position using the tilt lever and don't use a transom saver. since most new motors went to smaller, thinner, and cheaper made tilt support levers, we are told not to use them for trailering and they say they may snap off and damage the motor if we do, so could this be the solution for those who choose not to or simply cant use the transom saver?

here is the website for it: http://www.m-ywedge.com/index.html
Old 04-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,480

I've used these for 4-5 yrs and love it. They work great and have held up very good on trips from Ar to coast. Strongly recommend this product.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Had them on prior boat and loved them. Like u said I don't think they take stress off the transom but do protect the trim rams if nothing else.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:16 PM
Red Snapper

I would be needing the universal single ram version, have either of you guys used that type or did you have the kind that sit over the top off the rods?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

I've had both. Both worked well.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Red Snapper

ok, thanks

im ordering one now

I just wanted to be sure this wasn't one of them new fangled gimmicky things that aren't worth buying

transom savers just blow out the seals on your power trim, did it on the first three motors I had until the mechanic told me to throw the transom saver in the garbage because it beats the hell out of your gear box and transfers ALL road shock to the seals in your power trim as the boat tries to move separately from the trailer.

he said its like hitting the PTT ram with a hammer every time you hit a bump, so for whatever its worth I believe him and have never had any seals fail in the last fifteen years since I stopped using the transom saver so im convinced they might be good for the transom but they are very bad for the PTT and gearbox.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Red Snapper

UPDATE:

well it doesn't work for me, now suddenly I see everywhere they are selling it they just started saying its not for Suzuki motors so I guess that's why its not working for me. kinda wish they woulda figured that out before I bought one .

whats happening is because the Suzuki ram shaft is 1/2" and the single piston wedge is made to fit on 5/8" shafts, my shaft is too skinny to fit properly so it doesn't snap in place as described and just flops around until compressed which means there is nothing to stop it from just falling out on its own except the downward pressure from the motor. when I raise the motor to release it it just falls to the ground unless I hold onto it. it also gets bent and distorted to curve and open up like a clam shell when the trim goes down to compress it like the rubber is too soft and has nothing to help support it.

so maybe Suzuki power trim motors puts too much downward force on it or maybe its because the ram shaft size isn't sized right but I can confirm it doesn't work on my Suzuki

I think I could just cut a 1/2" slot out of a 1 1/4" pvc pipe and it would work better without distorting. anyway I just ordered a basic model transom saver for it and maybe try making my own version later on.

if anyone who doesn't own a Suzuki wants a good deal on the wedge universal single ram motor support, send me a PM and i'll make you a good deal, otherwise its off to ebay it goes.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:46 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

I use one on my suzuki 250. Works great.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:02 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouchub View Post
I use one on my suzuki 250. Works great.
I have a Suzuki df40

the universal wedge is for small motors of 9hp-90hp, its not the same product used for multi piston trims. on multi piston trims they have a plastic pipe outer layer for support and its a solid tube of rubber. seen here:

the universal wedge is a square block of rubber with a slot cut out of one side.

I would bet you don't have a single piston power trim on a 250hp?
Old 05-13-2014, 11:13 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

I didnt know what size suzuki you had.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:28 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouchub View Post
I didnt know what size suzuki you had.
I didn't mean to imply the regular wedge wasn't good, in fact the way the design looks its hard to think it wouldn't be a great product so im not trying to poo-poo the regular wedge product which might be great, its just the universal one is nothing like the regular wedges and IMO the universal wedge leaves a lot to be desired way beyond just not working for my application.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:07 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

I have a yamaha one for my SHO. seems to work pretty good. i questioned only using one but thats what they recommended.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:00 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

I have the Yamaha Brand.. Its $85. My wedges are a lot less. I use only one on my 250 4 stroke.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:22 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

I'm able to trailer with my motor trimmed down and instead of it sitting on the trim i put a big nail and let the trim down just till it hits so theres no pressure it. Been doing this on aluminum and fiberglass boats 20 years now and no transom problems. Of course bigger motors need to be tilted higher but the lower you can trailer it the less its going to want to bounce up and down. If you don't have a trim and run it lowered you can lock it in run position and use a bungee cord from motor to trailer to keep it from rattling back and forth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (50.2 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (35.2 KB, 158 views)
Old 05-14-2014, 08:57 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
I'm able to trailer with my motor trimmed down and instead of it sitting on the trim i put a big nail and let the trim down just till it hits so theres no pressure it. Been doing this on aluminum and fiberglass boats 20 years now and no transom problems. Of course bigger motors need to be tilted higher but the lower you can trailer it the less its going to want to bounce up and down. If you don't have a trim and run it lowered you can lock it in run position and use a bungee cord from motor to trailer to keep it from rattling back and forth.
I tried this with a stainless rod but unfortunately the highest position hole only raised the motor a few inches of ground clearance and it was still too uncomfortably close to the ground when I went up ramps or curbs, like within an inch of skeg hitting the ground and the Suzuki df40 has an offset mount so I cant just put a 2x4 across it or it only hits on one side and i don't want to put side torque on the mount like that.

I think what would work best for me would be the type that fit the holes but was bent to reach out to the motor to hold it out more making it higher.

I have been trailering it for years on the tilt latch but I can see its bent from me doing so and i drive carefully on good roads so I would like a better way.

i think if i had the time and materials i could bend something to form the right shape then have someone make it out of "long term" materials that will hold up and not rust.

i thought the best solution is to buy new tilt latches and have a welder reinforce them so they are stronger and don't bend but that only solves the ground clearance issue and not when it wants to bounce the transom on my flatboat so i figured the transom saver will do for now until i get around to making a templet for a home made tilt bracket.

with all the stuff they do to new motors its strange they don't design them with built in tilt brackets that hold motors lower but give ground clearance like transom savers do, i did see evinrude had done it for one of their motors but no one else