SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167
Default La Coastal Master Plan

Listened to a speaker give a talk outlining the basics of the La Coastal Master Plan, there was some talks about what needs to be done at Sabine, if you click on this link there is a good map of the projects and you can then go on the same page and look at the details of the project. Click over on the parishes tab and it will list the parishes in alphabetic order with their assigned projects, looks like there are several projects for Cameron Parish

http://www.coastalmasterplan.louisia...date-projects/

Here were a couple:

1.Salinity control structure at Alkali Ditch, Crab Gully, and Black Lake Bayou

2. Shoreline stabilization in the West Cover area of Calcasieu Lake

3. Bank stabilization along the Calcasieu Ship Channel from the Gulf of Mexico to Calcasieu Lake

4. Salinity control structure in Calcasieu Ship Channel at the Gulf of Mexico

5. Spillway structures at East Calcasieu Lake

6. Creation of 7,604 acres of marsh southeast of Calcasieu Lake

7. Creation of 7,604 acres of marsh southeast of Calcasieu Lake
Creation of 306 acres of marsh at Commissary Point

Creation of 10,946 acres of marsh in Northwest Calcasieu Lake south of
Hackberry

Creation of 3,292 acres of marsh at Cameron Meadows

Creation of 4,816 acres of marsh in Northwest Calcasieu Lake south of Hackberry

Creation of 14,843 acres of marsh in East Calcasieu Lake

and much more I didn't list you can check em out, lots of projects for the future, new water control structures, etc.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Ling

There was a really good talk about the marshes around Leeville before and following the oil spill. An entymologist was studying insects of the marsh before the spill and had good baseline data before the spill and when the spill was occuring she really ramped up her surveying to get in before the spill. At first there was an abundance of insects because the plants were stressed then almost nothing, but the insects were not showing oil on their bodies, so she introduced insects into the system and kept them in cages that rose with the tide and the only thing they had contact with was the actual air, no contact with the plants,e tc. They survived fine until until the temps rose to a certain degree 86 or something and they began dying rapidly, probably had to do with the volatilization of the oil in the marsh. She couldn't go into much due to legal issues and she is in the process of publishing much of her work, but it was very interesting.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

This presentation didn't happen to be at LAPB did it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
This presentation didn't happen to be at LAPB did it?

yeah, were you there
Old 08-17-2012, 05:04 PM
King Mackeral

Gave a presentation yesterday. Couldn't make it today.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Ling

Quote:
Gave a presentation yesterday. Couldn't make it today.

J.S.? I was there you did a great job. Talked with the turtle girl from McNeese also
Old 08-17-2012, 05:28 PM
King Mackeral

Thanks man, wish I would have known you were there, would have been great to meet.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Ling

Quote:
Thanks man, wish I would have known you were there, would have been great to meet.

we will probably cross paths i was gonna try and talk to you actually restoration is a good field to be in with lotsa funding

i was the one that asked the guy about the 131 year old water elm on Catahoula Lake
Old 08-17-2012, 07:26 PM
King Mackeral

Yeah, I like it. I would love to stay with it, but I'm at the least looking to stay in wetlands and wetland management. I've learned a lot in the past few years, but I've still got a lot to learn. Its always interesting though.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 605

i encourage y'all to send emails with questions on the website if you have them. people actually read and respond, i can promise that...

i think we have a great plan here to chart a course forward and also to show we are ready to finally move on large scale ecosystem restoration.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:18 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

who gets to hunt/fish on these 1,000's acres of new marsh? Will they be created with tax dollars? Also what is the total price tag? Not trying to be smart, just curious. Thanks
Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

This as well as any other restoration projects is driving by special interests and money. Although tax dollars will be used, it will be private property that we will not be allowed on.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:02 AM
King Mackeral

If I recall, a lot of it is on public lands, along water ways, etc.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Red Snapper

Yes, a lot of it is. A lot of it isn't also. Point being, if my tax dollars are going to this, I should be able to use any of it. Their loophole is that it is helping protect public lands. Just as the weirs were constructed to improve public land and waters, those projects were driven directly by land owners and big money.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

I really like number 4 Salinity Control structure on Calcasieu river at Cameron.
Bass fishing in Prien, WhooHoo!
Old 08-22-2012, 12:33 PM
King Mackeral

Let me tell you something brah. I work in coastal restoration, and a lot of our projects happen to be on private land. But considering a lot of land is private, you can't effectively protect every Marsh or even the majority by just targeting public land. The objective of coastal restoration is not to provide new hunting grounds. The objective is protecting the infrastructure and the marshes already there. And also, the funding isn't all coming from tax dollars. A lot of it being routed via the Restore act from money paid by BP from the oil spill.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Red Snapper

Brah??? What the hell kinda language is that? I wasn't saying anything bad about people that do this. I'm just stating facts. If the land owners and big money interests wasn't involved, there wouldn't be near as much effort put into this. I'm not wanting new hunting ground. Just saying that our money is spent in ways that protect the special interests and headlined as coastal restoration. Before the weirs were in big lake there was way more fish in those areas. The weirs and levees down there was pushed hard by private big money land owners to protect their property, not for "coastal restoration". Do we need coastal protection? Yes. Should private entities direct its path? No.

Sent from Skyrocket 2 via Tapatalk. Fish Hard
Old 08-22-2012, 03:49 PM
King Mackeral

Look up the reports for Cameron Creole watershed. Those weirs were installed for the purpose of protecting the Marsh on in Cameron prairie and surrounding area because thousands of acres of fresh and intermediate Marsh were lost due to saltwater intrusion. Had nothing to do with private interest. I'm sure some of them were on board with it though. As I said, if it weren't for private land involvement, you could not effectively protect the coast or preserve it. You can't expect to do all the restoration work on the ship channel and in the refuges and protect all the Marsh we have. If you don't do anything on the private land around the refuges, when that deteriorates, the refuge begins to deteriorate.

PS, its like bro, you know, but brah ......

Old 08-22-2012, 05:42 PM
Ling

Is public vs private really an issue? When all the agencies that were behind the plan got together they looked at the entire landscape, not who owns what. They look at the areas that would need some type and then from there they begin to develop a plan. This has nothing to do with private landowners benefiting more than someone who does not own land. This benefits ALL OF US. Just because the project falls in private land, does not mean it is not going to benefit the public. There were multiple public meetings about the plan to let the writers of the plan know what was most important to them and get ideas for the plan. I don't care whose land it is own where marsh creation is performed, that benefits me in the long term. If the landowners kill 1000 ducks in that marsh next year, who cares. The big picture is what is best for Louisiana, and most of the land in Louisiana is privately owned, so it makes sense that these projects are going to fall on some private land.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:59 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Is public vs private really an issue? When all the agencies that were behind the plan got together they looked at the entire landscape, not who owns what. They look at the areas that would need some type and then from there they begin to develop a plan. This has nothing to do with private landowners benefiting more than someone who does not own land. This benefits ALL OF US. Just because the project falls in private land, does not mean it is not going to benefit the public. There were multiple public meetings about the plan to let the writers of the plan know what was most important to them and get ideas for the plan. I don't care whose land it is own where marsh creation is performed, that benefits me in the long term. If the landowners kill 1000 ducks in that marsh next year, who cares. The big picture is what is best for Louisiana, and most of the land in Louisiana is privately owned, so it makes sense that these projects are going to fall on some private land.
Exactly the point I was trying to make, duck. Nicely put.