SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -514

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBone278 View Post
From the posted article above:

"With this hard and long winter, there was a lot of redfish up in canals and bayous, and people were catching a lot of fish that were an inch or two under the 16-inch limit, which created some problems for some people. "

Man! Some people's problems!!! Outrageous!!!

If they are worried about Texas guides coming over here and putting more pressure on the fish, why not deal with the out of state guide regulations? Why should we have to be involved?
I think he ment fines imposed .
Old 06-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -514

The day is comming when a gun boat will run u down and kill u becouse u have 10 fish u cought.

Mark my words turit mounted guns for LWFD. Paramilitary water police.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Flounder

Cash: 815

Who appoints people to the wildlife commision? Don't forget em during the next election. Attention will be gotten. Wish I could vote there.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski View Post
Who appoints people to the wildlife commision? Don't forget em during the next election. Attention will be gotten. Wish I could vote there.
We don't vote on commission

They get appointed by Governor I think
Old 06-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries will present data to its regulatory board on Thursday that could impact recreational-fishing limits on speckled trout and redfish.

Part of the agenda for the monthly meeting of the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission calls for a "discussion on what effects changes to the current management regulations will have on red-drum and spotted-sea-trout stocks."

The item was added to the agenda at the request of two commissioners, according to Randy Pausina, assistant secretary for the department.

Pausina said he had received a request from commissioner Will Drost for information about the health of speckled trout stocks in the state, in light of Texas' recent decision to reduce daily creel limits to five speckled trout along a large section of its coast.

The department manages speckled trout by monitoring spawning potential ratio, which is a number that indicates how abundant a fish stock is compared to estimates of what the population would be if that particular stock were unfished.

The last time the department calculated SPR was in 2011, and it was found to be between 8 and 14 percent, biologist Harry Blanchet told NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune in 2013. That number is substantially below the 18 percent that stood for many years as the conservation standard.

Interpreted biological data has barely trickled from the department since 2010 because of the state's ongoing litigation with BP after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. State lawyers have clamped down on the flow of information for fear of weakening the state's case.

But Drost said he wants to know, among other things, where SPR stands today.

"I know that they'll give me the picture that I ask for as a commissioner," he said. "I want to know everything there is to know.

"I feel like it's our responsibility to properly manage the most important species in our state. I think we're currently managing it properly, but it's an ongoing job. It never ends."

The discussion of potentially changing redfish regulations was precipitated by requests from commissioner Ann Taylor, according to Pausina.

"She was receiving some feedback about red drum," he said. "With this hard and long winter, there was a lot of redfish up in canals and bayous, and people were catching a lot of fish that were an inch or two under the 16-inch limit, which created some problems for some people. (Taylor) wanted to know if we could look at dropping the size limit."

Redfish, Pausina said, are managed by looking at escapement, which is the percentage of juvenile fish that mature and "escape" the interior marshes.

At Thursday's meeting, the department will present the commission with some biological data and then seek guidance on how to proceed. Biologists will then rerun the numbers to show how management changes would impact populations.

"Depending on how they want to move those numbers around, we can calculate the change, and it will allow commissioners to make an intelligent decision," Pausina said.

That needs to be done before any regulation changes are made, according to Pausina, because alterations for social reasons in the past have had negative consequences.

"Some of these decisions are not biologically based," he said. "If you want to go with a more conservative limit on spotted sea trout, common sense tells you you're going to positively affect the population numbers, but that could be counterproductive. You may have overpopulation or you may be just leaving fish on the table that will just die or Flipper will eat them or whatever."

Based on the guidance the department gets from the commission, they'll rerun the numbers showing how the regulation changes will impact the stocks, and then they'll report back to the commission. Pausina said they'd likely have the trout stock assessment done by August and the redfish assessment complete by September.

Drost said most anglers in Southwest Louisiana fully support the special regulations in that area for speckled trout. Anglers in the rest of the state may harvest up to 25 speckled trout each per day, with a minimum length limit of 12 inches. In Southwest Louisiana, however, the daily limit is 15 fish with an angler allowed to harvest no more than two measuring more than 25 inches.

If anything, anglers in that part of the state are alarmed about how increased pressure is impacting the fishery there, Drost said.

"Some people have a concern about the increase in guides on Calcasieu from out of state," he said. "That middle coast of Texas went to a five-fish limit, and we've seen a lot of guides now set up shop on Calcasieu, so we're seeing increased pressure, especially in the wintertime for trophy trout."

But Drost said he has no agenda to further decrease limits in the area unless it is deemed necessary through this process.

"I'm merely asking what the latest data shows," he said. "I've not seen the latest data. I have no ultimate goal here. I just want to be aware of what our options are."
Mr Drost needs to worry more abt the eco-system than a certain species that interest his self personally....this will be his 3rd motion to move with out research......2 motions were due to pics on the web.....so is he looking out for the well being of Big lake....or is he just jealous???? HUMMMMMM???????
Old 06-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Flounder

Cash: 815

Do you vote for the people who appoint them?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:40 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.B View Post
Mr Drost needs to worry more abt the eco-system than a certain species that interest his self personally....this will be his 3rd motion to move with out research......2 motions were due to pics on the web.....so is he looking out for the well being of Big lake....or is he just jealous???? HUMMMMMM???????
He don't want the Texas guides to have free rights to fish on his lake and catch the endangered speckle trout of big lake
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.8 KB, 254 views)
Old 06-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

Up the cost of out of state guide licensing to an outrageous price to where it wouldnt be feasible for them to come here and fish...and enforce different laws for out of state guides....make it to where there is so much redtape to cut through they will not want to "F" with LA fishing, if there so worried about western out of state pressure.....hell the state sticks it to us as much as they can...make even worse for the out of state guides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,283

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
He don't want the Texas guides to have free rights to fish on his lake and catch the endangered speckle trout of big lake
Then tax the S H I T outta the non resident guides.....we pay a heck of a price to roll....then if you wanna go in marsh behind weirs....you pay $350 a year....then they shut the gates to access....***???
Old 06-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Flounder

Cash: 613

Will Drost may be doing exactly what many of you wanted. It could be the only way to get the sore to make a head so to speak.
We need SPR data, which we haven't had since 2011, and that specific speckled trout biomass indicator was through 2010.
We don't even know if the trout biomass is high or low.
I want to give him the benefit of the doubt first, because the only way we may be able to obtain that data is to get it this way. Please read the Nola.com article again. He explains his thrust on this issue. Here's the link to the Nola.com story: http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.s....html#comments
Old 06-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Red Snapper

Shooot..dats cheap, when I say outrageous I mean like 1500$ a year to an out of state guide in LA....that'll make 'em tuck tail an roll back to Tehas

Old 06-03-2014, 10:04 PM
Red Snapper

LA Spotted Sea Trout stock assessment tax
Red Drum ********""
Black Drum********"
Flounder********""
Gaftop Tax
Flow Control Structure Tax(weirs)
Ship Channel erosion control tax
Reef Restoration Tax
List could go on an on forever...slap that on out of state guides.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Exactly if you don't want Texas guides guiding on big lake charge them that's easy but your going to cut our fish because some people come guide

Freaken stupid

He'll half of big lake guides have been in Sabine last two months and that's a fact

I know of 10-12 guides that went to Sabine every day last month to guide
Old 06-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Flounder

Cash: 617

Why in the world are they basing wildlife/biology decisions in a reactionary manner? Who cares what TX does? If you're truly that worried about TX pressure, raise the price on TX natives getting a LA license x4.

I don't agree with lowering the redfish size either. If you want a 14 inch size limit, might as well make it no size limit.

I just hate what they are doing to fisherman who make a living on Big Lake. I don't even fish western LA but this still burns me up.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:07 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,225

What a joke.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:26 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
They are so freaken stupid , more pressure is actually a winner for the fish ! They get spooked by people throwing achors , trolling in chop up wind , running over reefs wide open , slamming capartmonts I'm boats

We are saving our fish every Sat and Sunday , fish do not eat in weekend unless you get 45mis alone
that's a good one!!! lmao

all seriousness though.. I agree with you man.. Doesn't make any sense and I completely agree on how they need to start worrying more about coastal erosion than any fish limits. It seems like fish are being caught all around the state right now, may be a little slow in big lake but I've been seeing many successful reports from the east side on lasmag
Old 06-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

"Redfish-wise, Pausina said it’s possible that slightly reducing the legal size limit would not have a major impact on the fishery.
“It’s probably not that big of a deal because five fish are dying if everybody catches their creel, and whether they’re 14 inches or 16 inches they still haven’t reproduced yet because they haven’t moved offshore yet,” he said. “We’re culling them out before they move offshore to start reproducing, so it’s probably feasible with red drum"

^^
that makes no sense to me either... its a lot easier to find some 14" reds than 16" reds, so many more will be taken.. Sounds like someone is having trouble finding the 16"ers
Old 06-04-2014, 07:42 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

All opposed to this need to be at that meeting! If they don't have an opposition at the meeting they will likely move to a vote. Speaking from experience.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:46 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,190

Quote:
Casey how much money do we need to raise to place a billboard sign on 1 10?

Bet we can get that amount in a day
Six months would be about 5k or so on i10 on the west side of the state. In Baton Rouge it's 20k or more.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,632

That sucks, one of the best trout and red fisheries in the world. And all it takes is a couple of organization leaders that don't know **** to f___ ya'll lake up. Texas side of Sabine will be five trout in couple of years because of South Texas limits, which has already put more pressure on Sabine. Live in Orange county been buying LA license for ever to fish LA Sabine Jetties, beach, short rigs, and BL maybe couple times a year and have never had LFAW call and do surveys until this year. They ask for number of days fished and body of water nothing about what was caught on trips. They have also called couple other people I fish with, we didn't know what it was about until now.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2