SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:48 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Yeahh. That's what we have the most trouble with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2014, 11:48 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
2-4-D is a broadleaf herbicide and glyphosate is more for grasses, although it does work on broadleaf weeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
What he said. ^^

It all comes down to the active ingredient. Glyphosate is the active ingredient in roundup and I THINK amine is the active ingredient in 2-4D.

thanks, I am looking for something like a total vegetation herbicide to completely sterilize the soil under my house.

its completely surrounded by concrete so if I can sterilize the soil it should stay grass and weed free for a very long time but I may at some point have to crawl under there so I don't want to soak the soil in oil or diesel.

the rest of the yard I can do with weed and grass killers and the occasional weedeating but I cant do weedeating under the house and its 4 ft off the ground so it gets plenty of sunlight to make stuff grow.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:08 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
thanks, I am looking for something like a total vegetation herbicide to completely sterilize the soil under my house.

its completely surrounded by concrete so if I can sterilize the soil it should stay grass and weed free for a very long time but I may at some point have to crawl under there so I don't want to soak the soil in oil or diesel.

the rest of the yard I can do with weed and grass killers and the occasional weedeating but I cant do weedeating under the house and its 4 ft off the ground so it gets plenty of sunlight to make stuff grow.

I don't know any names off the too of my head but I know that they seek ground sterilizers like for driveways and stuff. Where are you located?

Old 06-16-2014, 12:19 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
I don't know any names off the too of my head but I know that they seek ground sterilizers like for driveways and stuff. Where are you located?

im in laplace but the actual house location where it is needed is in golden meadow
Old 06-16-2014, 12:21 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
im in laplace but the actual house location where it is needed is in golden meadow

Ahhh. That's a bit out of my range. But any lawn and garden store should have some kind of ground sterilizer.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

You probably need a chemical application license to "sterilize" the ground
Old 06-16-2014, 12:36 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
You probably need a chemical application license to "sterilize" the ground

Or need to know somebody with one.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Red Snapper

thanks guys, i'll ask around and see
Old 06-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

Pramitol is what I have used in the past to sterilize a limestone driveway to prevent grass/weeds from growing between the tire paths.
works very well. I got a gallon of concentrate from a friend who farms rice and uses it along right of ways. I don't know if you have to be licensed or not but I did see some at Chastant Bro's feed store in Lafayette a few weeks back. Definitely scorched earth policy for a year!
Old 06-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rardoin View Post
Pramitol is what I have used in the past to sterilize a limestone driveway to prevent grass/weeds from growing between the tire paths.
works very well. I got a gallon of concentrate from a friend who farms rice and uses it along right of ways. I don't know if you have to be licensed or not but I did see some at Chastant Bro's feed store in Lafayette a few weeks back. Definitely scorched earth policy for a year!
thanks, that sounds like what I need
Old 06-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 899
Default weed killer

Hyvar is a soil sterilizer that you can buy at the feed store. I wouldn't recommend it for ditches though. It can kill crops if contaminated water is used for irrigation.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Red Snapper

what about all those home made alternatives to round-up using vinegar and salt as weed killers I see on youtube? some recipe are straight vinager but they are all mostly vinager and salt but with some they also use dish soap and some use citrus oils too

do those really work as well as chemical weed killers?
Old 06-16-2014, 03:12 PM
Redfish

Cash: 729

Quote:

Arsenal and oustxtra but you are not going to want to pay the price. Glyphosate and 2-4D will kill about anything. Just mix it at 3% to 5%. There is a chart in the book that will tell you oz to gal of water to get the %.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:19 PM
Redfish

Cash: 893

thanks for all of the replies. i'm using honcho plus and shredder amine 4 that a farmer friend recommended it knocks it down but in a month i need to spray again. i was just wondering if there was something else that was better. what is the name of the generic round up?
Old 06-16-2014, 03:51 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed32 View Post
thanks for all of the replies. i'm using honcho plus and shredder amine 4 that a farmer friend recommended it knocks it down but in a month i need to spray again. i was just wondering if there was something else that was better. what is the name of the generic round up?

There's a lot of them and each chemical company has their own. We use cornerstone.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

The generic round up and 2-4d is a a great combination. Its not that the combo is not killing the grass, its that during our hot moist summers, new weed seeds sprout like crazy. I sometimes add a product called pendemethilum. Its like a pre emergent herbicide, that you can mix with your round up and 2-4d. It helps kill the weeds and seeds before they sprout up. Just be careful with some of those ground inert products. Those dont dilute fast like round up and can get into the ground water and travel a good ways and end up killing things you dont want them too.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:38 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-chaser View Post
The generic round up and 2-4d is a a great combination. Its not that the combo is not killing the grass, its that during our hot moist summers, new weed seeds sprout like crazy. I sometimes add a product called pendemethilum. Its like a pre emergent herbicide, that you can mix with your round up and 2-4d. It helps kill the weeds and seeds before they sprout up. Just be careful with some of those ground inert products. Those dont dilute fast like round up and can get into the ground water and travel a good ways and end up killing things you dont want them too.

Pendimethilin turned your hands and all your clothes yellow?

Old 06-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

It did when my line on my spray tank burst in my face.lol
There is another one that isnt colored, but its about twice the price to not have the yellow color.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:40 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-chaser View Post
It did when my line on my spray tank burst in my face.lol
There is another one that isnt colored, but its about twice the price to not have the yellow color.

lol. I still have some clothes that are stained from that stuff.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:35 AM
Redfish

Cash: 767

I have a buddy that used to get his crawfish pot and dump a sack of water softener salt and boil it til it dissolved. After it cooled off, he would spray his limestone areas with it. I'm thinking bout giving that a try. I'm having the same problems with weeds sprouting back after a few weeks. Correct me if I'm wrong but the roundup and 2-4D types are systemic herbicides. These just get the ones that are above the ground with the plant visible. The pre-emergence ones are aystemic or sumpin like dat.