SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:20 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710
Default Cable vs streaming device.

How many of you guys/gals dropped cable or satellite tv and switch over to or
thinking about the switching to a streaming device google chrome cast, ROKU, amazon prime etc?

I'm thinking about it switching to a streaming device once my direct tv contract ends. What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by alphaman; 04-24-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

I've done it a year ago. No cable tv anymore, only internet. I save right around $100 per month and I'm not missing anything I used to watch before. I use a laptop connected to my tv with an HDMI cable and use a wireless keyboard with a built in mouse and not those little streaming devices. So I sit on my sofa and surf the web on my tv across the room.

I have a Hulu Plus account and watch all my shows on that the day after they air. But CBS streams all their shows on their website and not on Hulu. I just keep shortcuts in my browser to all my favorite shows. I also buy whole seasons of a couple of cable tv shows on Itunes, and download the latest episode each week.

I also use a HD outdoor antennae that catches about 20 stations when I want to watch live local stations like the news, etc.

I just typed all of this while sitting on my sofa with my feet propped up and keyboard in my lap!

I'm thinking about trying one of these little mini PC's instead of my laptop. They are very fast and are cheap. There are at bunch of brands out there so I just need to do some research on the best ones.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:39 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,212

I think with all the internet media now days you could definitely get rid of cable or Directv. I have a couple of chrome casts that I can use with my tablet and "cast" whatever I want to watch from my tablet to the TV. We still have cable but I think if my wife was cool with it I would get rid of everything but the internet. We could save a ton of money and I have more money for golf and gas money for the boat.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:47 PM
Red Snapper

Cable and Satellite providers are losing customers left and right. If they don't change soon and start offering and "a-la-carte" type service, where you can pick and choose what you want to pay for, then they are gonna be hurt bad by these new services.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:21 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

My dad just dropped his cable and went with Apple TV and he loves it. I will be doing the same thing when my Cox Cable contract expires.

What's the worst that could happen? You watch less TV?

Also, there is little to no reconnection charge if you miss your cable too much.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:51 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

I've been off of cable for over a year, watch everything through Apple TV, PS4 and digital antenna.

The only thin I miss is hockey and saints when they're on NBC, but that's easily solved through an attic antenna and a booster if I upgrade from my set top antenna.

I wonder why I waited to switch, Should have done it as soon as Apple TV and others came out. Plus, digital antenna provides a better HD picture than any cable or satellite.

Crutchfield's web site has a great write up on selecting attic antennas and boosters to pick up the maximum amour of stations with optimal signal, and at a good value.

My bill is below $100 a month including Hulu, Prime and Netflix.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:27 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

everything I watch on cable I get for free from regular antenna in crystal clear pictures that look as good as high def and the only thing I miss about it is there is no ESPN but otherwise I find I have more to watch on regular antenna since cable selects only "certain" local channels for you and now I get "all" the local channels including a weather chanel, 32 of them to be exact, but 2 are shopping networks and 2 are Spanish so really just 28 worth watching.

if you have internet (don't we all, lol) streaming is definitely the way to go but just for TV watching I do regular antenna on a pole and find I have all I need with just that.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:07 AM
Redfish

Cash: 419

I cut the cable almost 4 years ago. We have a digital antenna, Netflix and Hulu Plus. The upside is like Mako said, I watch much less TV and have more time to actually do something productive!

The future of TV and film is getting very interesting (just like the music business). HBO Go has finally offered a standalone subscription which I didn't think would happen this soon in the game, so who knows what's in store?
Old 04-25-2015, 09:39 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

I want to keep DirectTV but only pay for sportschannels, Local, CMT and MTV.... all i need
that should cost about 30bux
Old 04-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

My kids when I get them don't get to watch tv they play outside all day like we used to. Think that's what's wrong with kids today they are all sissified and it's the parents fault. They are just doing what they see their daddys and mommas doing like watching football all day in the chair and momma watching the kardashians. Then they stay on their phone all day looking at Facebook. Cut the cable
Old 04-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb View Post
My kids when I get them don't get to watch tv they play outside all day like we used to. Think that's what's wrong with kids today they are all sissified and it's the parents fault. They are just doing what they see their daddys and mommas doing like watching football all day in the chair and momma watching the kardashians. Then they stay on their phone all day looking at Facebook. Cut the cable
Excellent post!!
Old 04-25-2015, 01:15 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhooper82 View Post
Excellent post!!
X2
Old 04-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Flounder

Cash: 686

get Kodi and u wont need anything else. all u need is an internet connection. Best of all its free.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:04 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
I want to keep DirectTV but only pay for sportschannels, Local, CMT and MTV.... all i need
that should cost about 30bux
MTV?????!!!
Old 04-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Ling

Cash: 505

haha... In the rare event that i have time to watch tv.... i like reality TV man... i dunno why... but i do...
Old 04-27-2015, 02:28 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

I would miss all the stuff on ESPN... is there any way to get the full spectrum of ESPN without using a cable provider?
Old 04-27-2015, 02:34 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggoh View Post
I would miss all the stuff on ESPN... is there any way to get the full spectrum of ESPN without using a cable provider?
Watch ESPN APP is free.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:38 PM
Flounder

Cash: 790

dropped cable/directTV 3 years ago. saving 100 bucks a month. Roku(8 bucks) + Netflix(8 bucks) + hulu plus(8 bucks) + Amazon Prime(90/year, but I use the hell out of free shipping so it doesn't really count) = I WIN!

I also use a digital antenna, small inside and I get 24 channels 14 in HD including all networks.

With Amazon prime you can also pick and choose different series. I pay 29 bucks for the entire season of walking dead. That type of thing and watch it commercial free the day after it releases on AMC.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
Watch ESPN APP is free.
But you can only log into it with a valid provider account and view the games. My cox account worked for a couple months after I cancelled it, then it quit working.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:14 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
But you can only log into it with a valid provider account and view the games. My cox account worked for a couple months after I cancelled it, then it quit working.

I use a friend or family members login for this. Problem solved!

I also use it for the NBC sports app (which sucks), and all the "channel" apps on Apple TV (A&E, History, etc..).