SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258
Default crawfish boilin

Just got through puttin a hurtin on some good boiled crawfish. It brought me to thinkin about how it would make a good thread to see how everybody boils their bugs,and what seasonings are used the most. Ive been using Zatarans for a long time,and have been boiling the crawfish first then seasoning them in the ice chest and letting them steam for 15-20 min. Tonight,I went back to puttin the seasoning and some butter in the water,boiling and letting em soak for a while. Just curious as to what all yall are doing.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,044

Ice is the trick
Old 05-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

Does it cool em off too much? I like em hot, I just get a lil bit at a time out the ice chest same as my crabs.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,044

After they finish boiling in the pot put a half of sack of ice in the pot. Let that soak for 5-10 min then poor it in the ice chest. The ice allows the crawfish to soak up the seasoning. I promise the juice will be dripping down your arms
Old 05-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

We use a seperate pot at boils. Boil a dozen lemons, lots of cloves of garlic, 3-4 sticks of butter. Add several cups of vinegar and seasoning. Boil then let cool add several blocks to make cold. Boil in the main pot then immediately drop in the cold seasoned water.
Every sack add a little ice to the second pot.

Purge till water is very clear, then let them sit in clear water for 30min. Makes a big difference.

We just boiled 4 sacks at the camp they were wiped out quick love craws!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

im no pro ( sheet im from ohio!!!) lol but ive found if you freeze a gallon or two of water and dunk that way the melted gallon does not dilute the seasoned water for the next boil and it cools the water after the boil it will prevent the crawfish from continueing to cook and the cooler water soaks up more seasoning faster ... i do the same with shrimp
Old 05-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

I dislike Zatarans because of the salt content. I use Louisiana, but recently used Swampfire and love it.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

been using swamp fire and swamp dust for my crabs and craws, we just boil then let them soak for little while then chunk 'em in the ice chest...def will try out the ice next time..
Old 05-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
im no pro ( sheet im from ohio!!!) lol but ive found if you freeze a gallon or two of water and dunk that way the melted gallon does not dilute the seasoned water for the next boil and it cools the water after the boil it will prevent the crawfish from continueing to cook and the cooler water soaks up more seasoning faster ... i do the same with shrimp
I use frozen two liter bottles of water
Old 05-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,074

I purge my Crawfish for 30 minutes. Put them in a large ice chest or container. Pour one box of salt over them and then cover them in water, let them soak in the salt water for 30 minutes. This makes them sick; they clean out their insides by puking and crapping.

]Then drain the water and rinse them several times until the water runs clear. You will see a large amount of dark water leave the bugs.

Many say you do not have to purge, I disagree, as I have never purged and not seen allot of dark water that I would not like to eat.

Get your water boiling / rolling good with any type of Seasoning. I use Louisiana Seafood boil. Lower the bugs into the rolling water. My burner is then turned on high. In one minute we are back to a roll. After 7minutes in the water they are cooked

Turn off the fire, hose down the outside of the pot and place 10 pounds of ice on top of the bugs, push the ice down into the water, still in the bag. The ice will melt, but will not dilute the water. When the ice is melted, remove the ice bag full of water / melted ice and discard

You have stopped the cook by cooling down the pot. The water turns cooler; the bugs are hotter than the water. This draws in the seasoning and stops the bugs from over cooking. (This is very Important). An over cooked bug will not peel easy. The meat will stick to the shell; they are very hard to peel.

The tail meat will slide out of the shell easily in a perfectly cooked bug. Soak the crawfish in the cooled water for 15 - 30 minutes, this will season the bugs. During this time, taste test for application of seasoning to taste. The longer they soak, the more season they will draw in to the meat.

If the bug is cooked right, the hard shell does not matter, as the meat will slide out. By cooking the sausage or Boston butt in the water will add grease to the pot. If you are not going to add fatty meat, then add a quarter cup of vegetable oil. This will get into the bug and make the meat slide out better. I also use oil for shrimp as well. It helps to separate the meat from the shell. Pop the head; pinch the tail, the meat slides out, in a perfectly cooked bug

If the meat sticks to the shell, they are over cooked, and then the hard shell does matter, as your fingers will get a work out

This is my shopping list

CRAWFISH BOIL LIST

CRAYFISH BOIL LIST

Onions lbs
Lemons
Celery
Garlic - Large
Mushrooms lb
Brussels Sprouts frozen
Crab Boil 6 pack bags
Crab Boil Powder Z Pro
Crab Boil
Hot Sauce Louisiana 32oz
Sausage thick lbs

Small New Potatoes lbs
Small frozen Corn
Hot Dogs 8 to a pack
Small Butter squeeze
Lemon Pepper
Beer, lots
Boston Butt
Propane
Salt
Pineapple cans sliced
Cauliflower
Fresh Green Beans Ibs

The Pineapple adds such a sweet taste, I am hooked on it.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Spook View Post
I dislike Zatarans because of the salt content. I use Louisiana, but recently used Swampfire and love it.
^What he said!!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 611

Where do you get swampfire at?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I hose my crawfish down with the water hose in a number three tub........and keep rinsing them till the water runs clear......In my boiling pot I put one bottle of Italian dressing, one pack of chackbay seasoning, one box of salt, one mardi gras cup full of liquid crab boil a few lemons 3 pounds onions and 2 bulbs of garlic cut in half, let them boil about 10 minutes then add my crawfish, when they come to a boil i boil them2 minutes shut it off let it soak for 10 minutes then eat......i don't think ice does anything to help soak the seasoning. oh.....i also raise and lower the basket in the water to make them sink
Old 05-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Flounder

Cash: 704

I love this discussion. That is what is great about Louisiana. We have so many different ways to do things in a great way. I have been collecting different methods for years. I try out everything I hear or see as I try to twerk my own recipe style. This year, my new thing is granulated garlic. I heard of this on John Folse's Radio show. It was said you can never use enough garlic. I knew about using garlic cloves and heads, but this year I starting buying and using granulated garlic. I by the tall bottles of it. WOW, it may a difference. My Good Friday Crawfish boil with four sacks was a hit. I also use butter in the water. My question to my fellow crawfish boilers is the choice of commercial seasonings. I gave up the Zatrarains Jars. But I do like thier liquid crab boil. I use some of this along with my seasonings. I have been using Louisiana brand seasonings lately. I am very curious about trying Swamp Dust. Give me some input. Also, I think it is very important to purge and wash crawfish. I do not use salt to purge. I rinse out a couple of times. I came across a big ice chest with no plug that I have been using until the water runs real clean. Once you get the mud off the exteriors and the digestive system, I think you are set. I would love to hear more about Swamp Dust. Probably will use some this weekend.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Redfish

Cash: 542

I personally like the swamp fire, good flavor without the salt.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,529

does anyone know where to get swamp fire around Lake Chuck area????
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 05-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

Marketbasket and I think Albertsons has it. I used Cajun Land powder when I was living in Lafayette, but you can't buy it in LC and I got tired of paying for shipping. I started using Louisiana, but now I will probably only use Swampfire since I tried it. It has not alot of salt and reminds me of cajun land. Cajun Land is made in Meterie so if you have not tried it I would reccomend it. I only use powder. I find liquid burns peoples lips more than season the water and I like people to enjoy my dads.

I love this conversation as I have tried to perfect this as well. I use garlic, but will now try granulated garlic. The more garlic the better. I also use lemons, onions, butter, potatoes, corn, ice, and of course shrooms. I don't use salt to purge as I have seen this kill them and I like my dads to be alive when they hit the water. I may try the 30 minute deal and see what happens. The best crawfish I have had in my life were at Cajun Claws in Abbeville. He purges his in tanks for 24 hours so they sh*t and they are the cleanest dads I have ever eaten. I think I have eaten them at every restaurant and drive thru in SWLA and Acadiana.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,418

Man I tried the "Swamp Dust" over the weekend and I have to say it just isnt my thing. I really didnt care for it that much. Not enough seasoning to me.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by evidrine View Post
Man I tried the "Swamp Dust" over the weekend and I have to say it just isnt my thing. I really didnt care for it that much. Not enough seasoning to me.
Thats why you use Swamp Fire
Old 06-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 685

if i can i'd use swamp dust, if not zat's powder and liquid works. Of course i add my touches like butter, alot salt, black pepper, oranges and limes cut and squeezed , more cayenne for that extra pah-yow, tony's, sugar, and other stuff not listed in the pic.

added turkey necks this time..so so tasty...!!

i tried purging mines WITHOUT salt this time, and just kept rinsing the crawfish until the water was damn near clear...and i've got to say, USE SALT, save the hassle, salt and rinse 3/4 times is better than NO SALT AND RINSE 20 x.....

boil for 4-5 minutes/ until they start dancing. Cut the heat, add the ice, and soak for 16-20 min depending are how crazy you feel that day.

belle river/spill way, 1 of the 2, forgot which one

ps, it aint official --like a referee's whistle, unless you got the stir paddle.....