SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-12-2016, 05:29 PM
ahlangle's Avatar
ahlangle ahlangle is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 507
Cash: 1,281
Default Shotgun coating

I've found some posts on Cerakote jobs and looked into it (very expensive).
Any alternatives that may be cheaper, just something to protect gun better and help prevent rusting?
Also having trouble finding replacement recoil pad for Super Vinci, sold out most places. Any ideas?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2016, 07:22 PM
Andy C Andy C is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cameron, tx/Hackberry
Posts: 1,544
Cash: 3,676
Default

Cerakote is the way to go. Had my .22 mag we gater hunt with done 0 issues after 2 year's worth the 140 bucks. Bill Wiseman in college station did it, he's got a webpage
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2016, 08:11 PM
ahlangle's Avatar
ahlangle ahlangle is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 507
Cash: 1,281
Default

I just emailed him. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2016, 09:05 PM
Top Dawg's Avatar
Top Dawg Top Dawg is offline
Swordfish
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: swla
Posts: 6,941
Cash: 202
Default

Action arms does it for $100. I had benelli send me a new recoil pad for my vinci. Depending on when you bought yours benelli warranty will probably cover it they sent mine for free
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-13-2016, 10:05 AM
cajunforeman's Avatar
cajunforeman cajunforeman is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: lake charles la
Posts: 541
Cash: 844
Default

G&H in Geuydan carries the recoil pads. Make sure you didn't lose the sleeve too. I lost the sleeve on my SBEII so Benelli had to send me a new stock. Gun was 6 years old the the replaced it for free.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-13-2016, 10:22 AM
FF_T_Warren's Avatar
FF_T_Warren FF_T_Warren is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Walker, LA
Posts: 3,024
Cash: 1,138
Default

Birdsong industries black-T. You'll never find an ounce of rust ever on your gun and the stuff is so slick you don't even have to oil it because the oil is less lubricating than the coating. Cost a little change but you could drag the gun behind your boat to the blind and it still wouldn't rust
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-13-2016, 10:57 AM
Natural Light Kid's Avatar
Natural Light Kid Natural Light Kid is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 1,096
Cash: 898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
Birdsong industries black-T. You'll never find an ounce of rust ever on your gun and the stuff is so slick you don't even have to oil it because the oil is less lubricating than the coating. Cost a little change but you could drag the gun behind your boat to the blind and it still wouldn't rust
Do you have any personal experience with this? How much to do a shotgun?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-13-2016, 12:57 PM
CajunSteelsetter CajunSteelsetter is offline
Redfish
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SW LA
Posts: 190
Cash: 632
Default

Had my marsh gun dipped by a friend in Kinder. $80 for barrel and receiver. Rest was synthetic so didn't matter. Good camo pattern and hold up pretty good as long as it isn't beating around in the bottom of the boat or four wheeler. 337-302-4070 Seth.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-13-2016, 03:11 PM
FF_T_Warren's Avatar
FF_T_Warren FF_T_Warren is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Walker, LA
Posts: 3,024
Cash: 1,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Do you have any personal experience with this? How much to do a shotgun?
I got my wife's beretta coated and it was $200. But the thing is bulletproof(no pun intended). I guess it's the price as to why you don't hear more about them but they far exceed other coatings. The testing lab finally just stopped the high pressure saltwater testing because after several several thousands of hours they basically said screw it it's not gonna rust. I actually talked to the owners with questions(which thu are super helpful and informative). They told me that as far as the surface tension goes, they actually had to "tone" down the coating a bit for a batch of Full auto guns for the govt because the coating was so slick that it was throwing off the timing on the guns causing them to not cycle properly. I've sprayed my wife's down with rem oil and tried to wipe off the excess. And everything I sprayed on it came off because the coating doesn't let anything adhere. You can hose it off or just wipe it with a rag because nothing is sticking to it. Also the coating is embedded in the metal so there's no chipping or flaking to worry about. And if you do happen to scratch the metal somehow the coating goes several thousandths into the metal, so scratches won't cause it to be compromised
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-13-2016, 07:04 PM
Natural Light Kid's Avatar
Natural Light Kid Natural Light Kid is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 1,096
Cash: 898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
I got my wife's beretta coated and it was $200. But the thing is bulletproof(no pun intended). I guess it's the price as to why you don't hear more about them but they far exceed other coatings. The testing lab finally just stopped the high pressure saltwater testing because after several several thousands of hours they basically said screw it it's not gonna rust. I actually talked to the owners with questions(which thu are super helpful and informative). They told me that as far as the surface tension goes, they actually had to "tone" down the coating a bit for a batch of Full auto guns for the govt because the coating was so slick that it was throwing off the timing on the guns causing them to not cycle properly. I've sprayed my wife's down with rem oil and tried to wipe off the excess. And everything I sprayed on it came off because the coating doesn't let anything adhere. You can hose it off or just wipe it with a rag because nothing is sticking to it. Also the coating is embedded in the metal so there's no chipping or flaking to worry about. And if you do happen to scratch the metal somehow the coating goes several thousandths into the metal, so scratches won't cause it to be compromised
Awesome. Thanks for the report.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-13-2016, 07:32 PM
B-Stealth B-Stealth is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 1,382
Cash: 1,211
Default

Very good info, I didn't realize there were added benefits from reduced friction.

What about wooden stocks, can you Cerakote those as well?

I shoot an older Browning Gold that needs some love.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-22-2016, 06:49 PM
Dogface Dogface is offline
Flounder
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lafayette, La.
Posts: 1,485
Cash: 4,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunforeman View Post
G&H in Geuydan carries the recoil pads. Make sure you didn't lose the sleeve too. I lost the sleeve on my SBEII so Benelli had to send me a new stock. Gun was 6 years old the the replaced it for free.
Probably a stupid question but what is the sleeve?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-23-2016, 12:34 PM
Baychamp1 Baychamp1 is offline
Redfish
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 219
Cash: 115
Default

There's a plastic sleeve glued around the butt plate that acts as a spacer, without it the butt plate doesn't fit. From what I've heard it's a common problem
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-23-2016, 06:48 PM
Dogface Dogface is offline
Flounder
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lafayette, La.
Posts: 1,485
Cash: 4,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychamp1 View Post
There's a plastic sleeve glued around the butt plate that acts as a spacer, without it the butt plate doesn't fit. From what I've heard it's a common problem
Thanks, I didn't know that. I have taken mine down quite a few times and never noticed the sleeve.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-23-2016, 09:58 PM
Baychamp1 Baychamp1 is offline
Redfish
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 219
Cash: 115
Default

The Fact that the manufacturer has acknowledged the problem and is replacing it for free,confirms this is still a quality firearm, IMO- several of my friends love these guns, never had any problems

Last edited by Baychamp1; 01-23-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map