SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > Offroad Forum (4x4 & ATV)

Offroad Forum (4x4 & ATV) Discuss anything to do with offroad sports here, including ATVs, mudding in your truck, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Natural Light Kid's Avatar
Natural Light Kid Natural Light Kid is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 1,096
Cash: 898
Default 3/4 ton gas trucks

Does anyone have any personal experience and opinions on the ram hemi 6.4l, ford 6.2l, or gm 6.0l? With all do respect, I'm looking for personal experience not 2nd hand opinion. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-04-2014, 05:54 PM
chaneyt chaneyt is offline
Sand Trout
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pierre Part
Posts: 2
Cash: 403
Default

I had a Chevy 3/4 with a 6.0 as a company truck. I put over 100k miles on it without any issues. It pulled pretty good better tan a 1/2 ton but not as good as a diesel. Biggest draw back was 12 mpg and it was 2 wheel drive got stuck everywhere and the stiff suspension and light *** end would cause the truck to jump.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-04-2014, 06:40 PM
Visco's Avatar
Visco Visco is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Biloxi, MS
Posts: 513
Cash: 1,313
Default

I have a lot of experience with the Dodge 3/4 ton trucks. My favorite is my current rig (2005 Dodge Power Wagon) which I do everything with from rock crawling in NC to going to competing in local truck and tractor pulls. She is by far the best Veh I have ever owned and hopefully will be my last. Depending on how I drive depends on the fuel mileage, towing my 20' Tidewater I get 11 MPG and 14MPG when going back and forth to work taking it easy.

She has everything you need straight from the dealer: winch, lockers front and rear, and disconnecting sway bar.

This is the only truck I have ever owned that has not left me out to dry waiting on someone else to help me out of a sticky situation.

The only modifications I have done to this truck is I got a smoother suspension (Not taller) better rubber to handle all conditions, SCT programmer, and my signature bumpers (I made myself) and snorkel.

I have owned the Ford and have been issued the Chevy at work and anyone that tries to compare the three will notice that there is no comparison as Chevy and Ford do not offer anything in its class. I am not dogging the other trucks out, I am just stating what I know and what everyone who has driven a Power Wagon knows.

Not sure what you're needing from your rig, but if it is anything and everything then I would at least find a Power Wagon and take her for a test drive. I would also add this. Try and find an 05 to 09 PW as they come with the 4:56:1 gears and a better body style for off roading where the new PWs have standard 4:11:1 gears that drastically reduce your ability to off road BUT increases your fuel mileage.







Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-04-2014, 09:19 PM
yellow-xpress yellow-xpress is offline
Flounder
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kinder, LA
Posts: 32
Cash: 443
Default

I have a 2014 f250 4x4 6.2l extended cab company truck, I average 14-15 mpg depending on how I drive it, pulling a 14' enclosed trailer I get around 10mpg. One thing I can say that it's a strong motor and gets to 60 quick. I got it new in october and have close to 22000 miles on it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-04-2014, 09:54 PM
H2OFwlKlr H2OFwlKlr is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rayne, LA
Posts: 714
Cash: 1,368
Default

My Chevy is the 1500HD, 6.0L, 4 door, 4 WD. 2001 model, 158,000 miles, still going strong and in great shape. Best mileage I ever got is going to Florida in it, 15 mpg, and foot not in floor. For some reason, the best I ever got going west to deer lease in Tx. was 12 mpg, assuming flat vs. hills. Around town, 12 mpg, pulling boat, don't care, going fishing. it's about 10 mpg.

Pulls my 20 foot boat, and 20 foot utility trailer great. Only reason you need a diesel is if you are pulling fifth wheel, goosenecks, or big boats. Also, the ride on mine is still good when not loaded, considered a light 3/4 ton, one less leaf spring.

I have only done routine maintenance to it, not one major mechanical issue.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Natural Light Kid's Avatar
Natural Light Kid Natural Light Kid is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 1,096
Cash: 898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visco View Post
I have a lot of experience with the Dodge 3/4 ton trucks. My favorite is my current rig (2005 Dodge Power Wagon) which I do everything with from rock crawling in NC to going to competing in local truck and tractor pulls. She is by far the best Veh I have ever owned and hopefully will be my last. Depending on how I drive depends on the fuel mileage, towing my 20' Tidewater I get 11 MPG and 14MPG when going back and forth to work taking it easy.

She has everything you need straight from the dealer: winch, lockers front and rear, and disconnecting sway bar.

This is the only truck I have ever owned that has not left me out to dry waiting on someone else to help me out of a sticky situation.

The only modifications I have done to this truck is I got a smoother suspension (Not taller) better rubber to handle all conditions, SCT programmer, and my signature bumpers (I made myself) and snorkel.

I have owned the Ford and have been issued the Chevy at work and anyone that tries to compare the three will notice that there is no comparison as Chevy and Ford do not offer anything in its class. I am not dogging the other trucks out, I am just stating what I know and what everyone who has driven a Power Wagon knows.

Not sure what you're needing from your rig, but if it is anything and everything then I would at least find a Power Wagon and take her for a test drive. I would also add this. Try and find an 05 to 09 PW as they come with the 4:56:1 gears and a better body style for off roading where the new PWs have standard 4:11:1 gears that drastically reduce your ability to off road BUT increases your fuel mileage.

Uwharrie4-6-201320282845044.jpg Photo by redman1973 | Photobucket

Uwharrie4-6-2013139-907157642.jpg Photo by redman1973 | Photobucket

Uwharrie4-6-2013682034120696.jpg Photo by redman1973 | Photobucket

Uwharrie4-6-2013651778410487.jpg Photo by redman1973 | Photobucket

3-1.jpg Photo by redman1973 | Photobucket

Snowday62.jpg Photo by redman1973 | Photobucket

MOV09796.mp4 Video by redman1973 | Photobucket

Great info. Thanks. Problem is I have to have something new or close to new for work reasons. I have a new f150 with a 5.0. Love it. Strong and economical. Just got a bigger camper and was thinking of stepping up. Mine pulls it but I know a 3/4 ton would pull it "better". Don't need it because we really don't go far but maybe would go further if I had something that handled it a little better. Diesel isn't an option mostly because of the price. Just trying to decide if the pros of the 3/4 gas outweigh the cons.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-04-2014, 10:17 PM
H2OFwlKlr H2OFwlKlr is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rayne, LA
Posts: 714
Cash: 1,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Great info. Thanks. Problem is I have to have something new or close to new for work reasons. I have a new f150 with a 5.0. Love it. Strong and economical. Just got a bigger camper and was thinking of stepping up. Mine pulls it but I know a 3/4 ton would pull it "better". Don't need it because we really don't go far but maybe would go further if I had something that handled it a little better. Diesel isn't an option mostly because of the price. Just trying to decide if the pros of the 3/4 gas outweigh the cons.
FYI, when I bought my truck it was one year old with 16,000 miles on it. The reason I made a hell of a deal on this truck was the original owner got a "bigger" camper and he sold me this truck and got the 2500 HD with the Duramax.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-05-2014, 07:04 AM
Visco's Avatar
Visco Visco is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Biloxi, MS
Posts: 513
Cash: 1,313
Default

Natural Light Kid
If you are getting it manly for towing, then you will like any of the 3/4 trucks. The only deference will be your amenities inside the truck. They all tow pretty much the same, good luck bro
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Natural Light Kid's Avatar
Natural Light Kid Natural Light Kid is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 1,096
Cash: 898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visco View Post
Natural Light Kid
If you are getting it manly for towing, then you will like any of the 3/4 trucks. The only deference will be your amenities inside the truck. They all tow pretty much the same, good luck bro
That's pretty much what I figured. Just wanting to confirm it. This new 6.4L Hemi has gotten my attention. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-05-2014, 10:25 PM
BroussardGuy BroussardGuy is offline
Sand Trout
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Broussard
Posts: 10
Cash: 400
Default

Can't offer any personal experience, but am expecting a 2015 F250 4x4 in next few weeks to come in. I ordered it with the dual fuel option (6.2 gasoline / CNG). I put together a 5 year anticipated cost summary comparing straight gas, diesel and the CNG option and the CNG wins as long as the fuel stays under $2.75. It's now anywhere from $1.69 to $1.99 here in Lafayette. I will keep you posted once I actually receive it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-06-2014, 05:48 AM
Visco's Avatar
Visco Visco is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Biloxi, MS
Posts: 513
Cash: 1,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroussardGuy View Post
Can't offer any personal experience, but am expecting a 2015 F250 4x4 in next few weeks to come in. I ordered it with the dual fuel option (6.2 gasoline / CNG). I put together a 5 year anticipated cost summary comparing straight gas, diesel and the CNG option and the CNG wins as long as the fuel stays under $2.75. It's now anywhere from $1.69 to $1.99 here in Lafayette. I will keep you posted once I actually receive it.
I am all for alternative fuels, and if I ever buy another diesel I will install a conversion kit for burning used grease.

I will be curious... When you get your truck post some MPGs when you're running CNG. I have had work trucks with this and noticed a big reduction in MPGs, pretty (Example, if I ran 10MPG with regular unleaded, then when burning CNG I was right around 6 or 7 MPG.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-06-2014, 05:52 AM
Visco's Avatar
Visco Visco is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Biloxi, MS
Posts: 513
Cash: 1,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
That's pretty much what I figured. Just wanting to confirm it. This new 6.4L Hemi has gotten my attention. Thanks for the help.
The 6.4 is a monster, I know a few fellow Power Wagon owner with the new truck that comes with the 6.4 and all they do is brag about how you cannot bog it down.

I would get a new Ram! BUT, do not like the new body style compared to the 3G body style that I have. I do way to much off roading, and to much body damage would come from the 4G sytle.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map