SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Conservationist's Corner

The Conservationist's Corner For discussion of everything to do with conservation!

Old 03-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,174
Default Update on the Oyster Issue RE: LDWF

I have seen responses from LDWF and the responses did not seem favorable to our push to change the current oyster harvest. One of the response I have seen contained this statement "the overall oyster resource in Calcasieu Lake remains strong and the abundance of oysters in this lake allows it to remain one of the most bountiful resources in the state".

The LDWF will have their next meeting on April 7, 2011 in the Louisiana Room at the department headquarters in Baton Rouge. At the conclusion of the meeting as with all LDWF meetings the public will be allowed to provide comments to the Commission.

Obviously I am very disappointed by this response. I will be very surprised if the Task Force and LDWF does not allow the harvest to move further north in Big Lake next year.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
I have seen responses from LDWF and the responses did not seem favorable to our push to change the current oyster harvest. One of the response I have seen contained this statement "the overall oyster resource in Calcasieu Lake remains strong and the abundance of oysters in this lake allows it to remain one of the most bountiful resources in the state".

The LDWF will have their next meeting on April 7, 2011 in the Louisiana Room at the department headquarters in Baton Rouge. At the conclusion of the meeting as with all LDWF meetings the public will be allowed to provide comments to the Commission.

Obviously I am very disappointed by this response. I will be very surprised if the Task Force and LDWF does not allow the harvest to move further north in Big Lake next year.

What Oysters??? They have none left!!! but they want to move up north becasue of that......Ask them why are they wanting to move up north??? Never had to move the line up north when tonging
Old 03-12-2011, 06:05 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

maybe we are going about this wrong. might have to look for other ways to solve the problem. gonna be hard to change the "experts" minds when they think they are doing the right thing. why not start a group that looks after oyster populations in our area, with a big emphasis on re-seeding. it would be in the best interests of the oyster fisherman to back this group since it effects their livelihood. if they dont, we just seed the hell out of areas the cant fish.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlincecum View Post
maybe we are going about this wrong. might have to look for other ways to solve the problem. gonna be hard to change the "experts" minds when they think they are doing the right thing. why not start a group that looks after oyster populations in our area, with a big emphasis on re-seeding. it would be in the best interests of the oyster fisherman to back this group since it effects their livelihood. if they dont, we just seed the hell out of areas the cant fish.
If they tong oysters, everything would be just like before the dredges.
There are too many lazy Oyster fishermen who will not tong. It is too much work.
It makes no difference if they catch 15 sacks with tongs or with dredges.
The issue is how many boats they have with dredges. The number of Oyster fishermen doubled, the number of boats tripled. Too many are fishing multiple boats.
They will reseed themselves, if you don't over catch. The issue is reseeding from another area. This might bring in non native clams and other things from somewhere else.
There are places in Big Lake that are off limits to Oyster fishermen. They are called cultches. These are for reseeding if something catastrophic happens.
But you cannot wipe out half the oysters in the lake and hope they will reseed themselves at that rate. It will take at least 3 to 5 years to repair the damage after they are wiped out.
There are some Oyster fishermen who are concerned, and there are some that don't care. They want to make as much money right now and cry for help from the Feds cause their livelihood was wiped out. Then want to sue anyone they can blame.
The ones who tonged before dredges should be able to still catch their limit with dredges, the rest should not be able to get a license.
State made it too easy to over catch.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Great White

State is telling the Oyster fishermen that the East side may be closed for the next 2 years. Look out West Cove.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

This is not a conservation issue fellas, it is a political issue. Senators and Representatives on the Natural Resources board need to be contacted via phone and email. It takes less than five minutes to make a difference! These people work for us but can't if they don't know what is going on AND they don't!!!! Put some pressure on the issue and someone is going to get the message, your state representatives. You don't have to live in Lake Charles, call your guy in Shreveport,Monroe,Alexandria,Baton Rouge,New Orleans,Houma!!!!!!!!! Show me this issue is more than a bunch of guys pissing and moaning on the Internet!

Regards,
Raymond Little
Lake Charles La
337-288-5685 anytime
Old 03-12-2011, 06:21 PM
King Mackeral

im pretty sure we've been over the problems many many times on here. lets try to come up with innovative ways to solve some of these problems
Old 03-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlincecum View Post
im pretty sure we've been over the problems many many times on here. lets try to come up with innovative ways to solve some of these problems
Josh, in 2004 the state legislators voted to allow dredging to control the hook muscle. Unfortunatley, no one had the foresight to predict that greed would take over. I am pretty sure the oyster Task Farce were licking their CHOPS,similar the Briar Wabbit. Our fight is in the legislature not WLF, and if we play smash mouth ball we will WiN! Our side needs to Blitzkreig their ***!with emails and phone calls. Signing your name on a website is Worthless, if you have skin in the game get in the game!
Old 03-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Great White

This has happened before. Oysters were wiped out due to dredging.
They closed it down about 10 years then opened tonging only.
Only the guys who needed money bad tonged oysters.
They are going for over $35/sack right now. That means they will be dredging till there are no more in any open areas.

I heard it from an oyster fisherman today, they are worried about no more Oyster fishing on the East side. That is the scoop they are hearing. I will see if I can get more info. before I go offshore.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

I hope they close it for 40 years
Old 03-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
While I am no biologist, I believe that would be extremely shortsighted. Dredging has benefits but there has to be some checks and balances. Each area has a carrying capacity that is no different than cattle grazing land,except in the case of oystering it is the number of sacks a particular area can handle being harvested. They know how many sacks of oysters lie in the lake, that is why they want them so badly. It makes no difference to them (Oyster Task Farce) if they harvest them all at
Once or over a specified period of time. WLF says harvest and they are getting at it! It is no different than any farmer selling his crop,with the exception
Of the crop being a public resource.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:06 PM
King Mackeral

all of this is why I proposed we take a different route. We're not gonna get WLF to shut it down and if the legislators on the resources commity gave a **** they would've had something in place a long time ago. like, maybe the last time they got whipped out. thats just a guess though. you dont think they realize that one side of the state works to keep their resources in tact and the other doesn't. But we can make a difference without have to spend a few years getting laws changed. Stop and think for a minute about the assistance we could get as a group trying to preserve a natural resource for everyones benefit, not just commercial or recreational.

but what do I know, I'm not a biologist and I didnt stay in a holiday inn express last night.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 650

Quote:
Then you would need a boat that would run skinnier to get around.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

They will not have a season next year because there is no oysters..... cant fish with out oysters...... Kill em all..... If the WL&F dont care...fk it...Ill take 7 limits of trout a day..... Kill em all
Old 03-13-2011, 03:18 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,554

Why is everyone against trying to start a re-seeding program on our own? Legislative action is going to take time and its time that we don't have. Re-seeding is in our control NOW.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedatiger View Post
Why is everyone against trying to start a re-seeding program on our own? Legislative action is going to take time and its time that we don't have. Re-seeding is in our control NOW.

Who is going to pay for it? Sure not the oysterfishermen on a public lake.... They would have to make lease package and I dont see that ever happing....

They will close it next year im almost 100% of that...WL&F knows there is no oysters left....the local oysterfishermen are telling them that...
Old 03-13-2011, 08:58 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,554

Quote:
Who is going to pay for it? Sure not the oysterfishermen on a public lake.... They would have to make lease package and I dont see that ever happing....

They will close it next year im almost 100% of that...WL&F knows there is no oysters left....the local oysterfishermen are telling them that...
we will pay for it - any little bit helps. at least it is SOMETHING until we can get legislative action…

i know there has to be people here who will contribute. otherwise we are just going to sit back and watch our lake get torn to heck with no plan to fix the situation in sight. i'd rather not leave it to chance.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022

Quote:

The oyster season on the lake will never close. Provisions may be done, but it will never shut down.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Banned

does CCA have any attorneys involved in this?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Great White

The lake will re-seed itself, but there are too many oyster boats to do that.
Re-seeding will only work if you lease areas, or allow oystering in one section at a time.
Big Lake is a public oystering lake. When it opens, most of the oyster fishermen will try to make as much money as fast as they can. Not worrying about what will be left for the next season.
If it is re-seeded, then it will have to be closed for a few years to let them grow.
And again I will say, reseeding from another area could bring in unwanted problems like hook mussels and other diseases that we may not have now.
And what other area would want to send their seed oysters over here? Do we want the East side of the state to be able to take our oysters to reseed the their side of the state?

The commercial fishing lobby is just as big as the recreational fishing lobby. I can promise you they are looking at this and other forums all the time to see what their next fight will be. But we cannot look at what they are saying, they don't put it out for everyone to see.
The only answer is to make it publicly known, and that has already happened, KPLC TV and other news media have brought it up.

If you listen to the oyster fishermen, they are worried too. Especially the ones who only commercial fish for a living.

There needs to be a limited number of commercial oyster licenses on Big Lake, if they are going to keep dredging. Or close the East Side for the next 3 years to let the oysters grow.

Everyone has good ideas, but to make them reality is going to be a lot tougher than you think.