SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Conservationist's Corner

The Conservationist's Corner For discussion of everything to do with conservation!

Old 12-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,152
Default Tripletail

I got an email today from CCA to complete a survey regarding tripletail. The basis was "should there be a limit on tripletail"

I think there should be. What is your opinion?
Old 12-17-2009, 06:03 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,810

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmyboyblue View Post
I got an email today from CCA to complete a survey regarding tripletail. The basis was "should there be a limit on tripletail"

We had this discussion a few days ago....but my opinion is I'm not sure...
Old 12-17-2009, 06:08 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

i never caught one so maybe we should.... don't know that i'm fishing for them either though, do they come in big lake about as far as i make it is to the jetties
Old 12-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmyboyblue View Post

I got one to on my email and I deleted it. What I do not understand is I did not renew my membership to CCA earlier this year but they still send me all the emails and news letters.....I guess they think this will make me renew my membership.....not gonna happen! NO CCA for me!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
I got one to on my email and I deleted it. What I do not understand is I did not renew my membership to CCA earlier this year but they still send me all the emails and news letters.....I guess they think this will make me renew my membership.....not gonna happen! NO CCA for me!
So my question is, should they have a limit on tripletail?
Old 12-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfence View Post
i never caught one so maybe we should.... don't know that i'm fishing for them either though, do they come in big lake about as far as i make it is to the jetties

Not sure about your area. I catch them out of hopedale during the summer months. I have already caught 20 or so in a trip (only kept 2) but see people keeping 10,15, 20 or even more at times. These fish weight 10 plus pounds so you don't need a bunch to have a lot of meat.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:55 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 715

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Galler...ripletail.html

Maybe there should be a limit, but according to this, only a few tons a year are caught commercially. With the way the world turns in present times, unless there is lots of money at stake or something to gain from it politically...nothing will happen
Old 12-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556
Default hmmmmm

If they do limit tails then it will just be one more fish to try to catch a limit of. Never caught one ,But if they are as big as some say, A couple of the are a bunch of meat.
If they put a limit of 5 on them you will have folks fishing for a limit when right now they may only keep 2 or 3. Yes now you have some that keep 10 but overall it more than likely evens out .
Old 12-18-2009, 09:24 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

I think putting a limit on them is a joke! This is another ploy to have something to debate and have more "feel good" topics on the agenda. Plain and simple! The tripletail is a migratory fish, only shows up in and around La certain times of the year, and the conditions have to be "right" to catch them. They are like the bream of saltwater, no matter what you do, they will be here.

I find it amazing that people inside the CCA continue to push regulatory actions based on personnal feelings and not scientific data. They never look at the big picture, just something that will get discussion going and get them some notice, which is just what the Tripletail debate is doing now.

Specifically, tripletail is the caviar of the fish for resturants and markets of south America. But, these fish are so skittish and hard to catch, even the commercial fisherman of South American countries like Mexico, Houndarus, Costa Rica etc, have trouble finding them. But that is not becasue the fish is extinct.

Last summer, I had 3 boats fishing with me out of Dularge. Do you know how many passed up a pile of grass without even noticing a fish on it. That's right, all of them, I turned and went up to the patch of grass and put my customer on his first tripletail. They all wanted to fish tripletail after that, but nobody could find them. It is a "oppurtunity" catch and I don't think a limit is necessary.

If you start asking for a limit on a certain fish, it takes away from the biologist work on fish studies that are needed. Why start a controversy on tripletail when we need all of their time spent on fighting the Federal Government on issues pertaining to the red snapper and amberjack? Just a thought!
Old 12-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
I think putting a limit on them is a joke! This is another ploy to have something to debate and have more "feel good" topics on the agenda. Plain and simple! The tripletail is a migratory fish, only shows up in and around La certain times of the year, and the conditions have to be "right" to catch them. They are like the bream of saltwater, no matter what you do, they will be here.

I find it amazing that people inside the CCA continue to push regulatory actions based on personnal feelings and not scientific data. They never look at the big picture, just something that will get discussion going and get them some notice, which is just what the Tripletail debate is doing now.

Specifically, tripletail is the caviar of the fish for resturants and markets of south America. But, these fish are so skittish and hard to catch, even the commercial fisherman of South American countries like Mexico, Houndarus, Costa Rica etc, have trouble finding them. But that is not becasue the fish is extinct.

Last summer, I had 3 boats fishing with me out of Dularge. Do you know how many passed up a pile of grass without even noticing a fish on it. That's right, all of them, I turned and went up to the patch of grass and put my customer on his first tripletail. They all wanted to fish tripletail after that, but nobody could find them. It is a "oppurtunity" catch and I don't think a limit is necessary.

If you start asking for a limit on a certain fish, it takes away from the biologist work on fish studies that are needed. Why start a controversy on tripletail when we need all of their time spent on fighting the Federal Government on issues pertaining to the red snapper and amberjack? Just a thought!
Great point. Please don't take my posts as starting a controversy, I simply wanted other anglers opinions.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

see thread already started on Conservation Board.

But I whole heartedly disagree with you fin.....They need a protection from the people that fish for them. Just because you don't, doesn't mean some guys not out there loading his ice chest full of them. I have heard many pros and cons from lots of people on both sides of the state. I'd be willing to bet more people are for this on the East side than on the West.

And they do make their way into Big Lake. Usually no farther North than Long Point or West Cove.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:45 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
see thread already started on Conservation Board.

But I whole heartedly disagree with you fin.....They need a protection from the people that fish for them. Just because you don't, doesn't mean some guys not out there loading his ice chest full of them. I have heard many pros and cons from lots of people on both sides of the state. I'd be willing to bet more people are for this on the East side than on the West.

And they do make their way into Big Lake. Usually no farther North than Long Point or West Cove.
That's the beauty of America! We can all agree to disagree my friend! No hard feelings, just different view points. But jsut to clarify, I do fish them, and do very well, when the conditions are right. I for the life of me just don't know why we need a limit on them. Do you know of people in Big Lake catching more than 15-20 tripletail a day? I have never seen any one boat catch more than 17 and that was 3 men. Do they catch that eveytime they go out - of course not.

Most days, I am happy to get 3 or 4 and we eat them as fast as we get them. Never have to worry about freezing them - grilled, baked, and my favorite - cerviche!

Out of curiosity, what kind of limit would you ask for and what scientific data do you base this limit on? We all know what happened to the scientific data on Big Lake, the CCA convinced the LDWF commision to use it as toilet paper. Still disagree with the Big Lake 15 fish limit as you can tell! LOL - That whole thing was a "political - feel good" movement that went against scientific data. But it's done!
Old 12-18-2009, 11:57 AM
King Mackeral

Shadman-

Can we combine all the tripletail post/comments? This debate is fairly clean and respectable and I enjoy seeing everyones thoughts on it. It would be easier to read if we combine them, just a thought! Not trying to hyjack anyone's thread - sorry!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
That's the beauty of America! We can all agree to disagree my friend! No hard feelings, just different view points. But jsut to clarify, I do fish them, and do very well, when the conditions are right. I for the life of me just don't know why we need a limit on them. Do you know of people in Big Lake catching more than 15-20 tripletail a day? I have never seen any one boat catch more than 17 and that was 3 men. Do they catch that eveytime they go out - of course not.

Most days, I am happy to get 3 or 4 and we eat them as fast as we get them. Never have to worry about freezing them - grilled, baked, and my favorite - cerviche!

Out of curiosity, what kind of limit would you ask for and what scientific data do you base this limit on? We all know what happened to the scientific data on Big Lake, the CCA convinced the LDWF commision to use it as toilet paper. Still disagree with the Big Lake 15 fish limit as you can tell! LOL - That whole thing was a "political - feel good" movement that went against scientific data. But it's done!

In the area I fish for them (Hopedale), for the 2.5 months that you catch them there are literally more boats tipletail fishing than trout fishing.

Here is my opinion on the limit: I think 2 fish per boater is plenty. Now you can still catch as many as you would like to enjoy the great fight and excitement of sight fishing. I just recommend throwing back anything over 2 per boater. By the way, I have no scientific data this is just my opinion.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

There is plenty of scienctific data to back up reducing trout limits.....everyone seems to forget that part! LDWF sets trout SPR at 18, which they use to gauge how healthy the trout population is. SPR levels at the time were lower than 18. LDWF said that! LDWF said moving it to 15 prob wouldn't bring levels back up, that do get it right, would have to go as low as 5 or 10. CCA knew nobody would like that, so continued to push for 15.

Current SPR levels are still WAY below 18.....don't be surprised to see them act on it.

As far as triple tail. LA could prob get away with the most liberal limit of 4 a man, which is a ton of meat.

Yes, I've seen icechests with more than 40 in it at a time!
Old 12-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Banned

I would say 4-5 per man no size restrictions would be ok. I do not think that tripletail are like Dorado, I've never seen hundreds in one school before.

I've seen way more cobia & snapper in the gulf than tripletail and the limit is 2, more AJs also, isn't season closed??