SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-09-2017, 11:41 PM
Flounder

Cash: 671
Default Custom cast net

Hey guys, I know this has been discussed before, but I did a thread search and couldn't find what I was looking for. I want to get a cast net made for shrimp. What is the best net for shrimping in the refuge? I need radius, mesh size, and pounds of lead per foot. There's other options the net maker wants answers for, but I think I have them covered. These three are the most critical.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:41 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

In all honesty, I would buy one off the shelf. I've torn and lost too many nets to pay a premium price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2017, 06:57 AM
Redfish

Cash: 864

I second marshrunner
Old 05-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

I agree with the others, but if you still want your own, here's a couple of suggestions along the lines of what you are asking.

As for radius... how big a net do you feel comfortable throwing? I've seen guys with 10' radius nets they couldn't throw and a guy making 'pancakes' with a 3' net will out fish that guy in a hurry. My last net after a lot of practice was a 6' radius and that was doable. There are some great instruction vids on you tube, this one has some great 'scenery' and it's actually a very good instruction video. She's using an 8' radius net. She actually covers some of the size questions as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6swnJXwEws

In FL they are throwing their nets over sand and grass and that does matter. if you're throwing a net over rocks or oyster you want a smaller net and you don't want it to sink at all. it's going to get holes in it if you are doing that anyway. There are plenty areas to cast net mullet and mud minnows on clay or mud shorelines and small cuts in the marsh, same for surf, plenty of areas of sand to throw a net.

If I was getting a net made I'd think about getting smaller mesh size. I hated it when 3 inch mullet got stuck in the net head first (gill net style). So you might ask him about that. As for lead per foot you'll have to find out from others. Might search some florida boards that deal more with castnets.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:19 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

I'm very happy with this one. Real lead and it's plenty heavy. Fishes real good for shrimp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bait-Buster-...gAAOSwcF9UXUKK

Only thing is I wish I had gone with 5/8" mesh to let some of the smaller shrimp and small pogie out.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

maximum net size if your gonna use it in any of the refuges is 8.5 ft radius

I would go with a 1/2 inch or 3/8 mesh size with at least 1 lb of lead per radius foot. (so 8.5 lbs of lead)
Old 05-10-2017, 07:13 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
I'm very happy with this one. Real lead and it's plenty heavy. Fishes real good for shrimp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bait-Buster-7-ft-Radius-1-2-Sq-Mesh-Bait-Cast-Net-CBT-BBA7-by-Lee-Fisher-/152381519053?hash=item237aa574cd:g:mzgAAOSwcF9UXUK K

Only thing is I wish I had gone with 5/8" mesh to let some of the smaller shrimp and small pogie out.
Thanks Feesherman. This is the type of info I was looking for. I won't be throwing this net for finger mullet or mud minnows. I have three nets of different radius and mesh that I use for catching bait. This net will be strictly for table shrimp. I think you're right, the 5/8" mesh will let the small stuff thru, and I would rather take a few larger gilled mullet out of a net than 100 2" croaker that are gilled in 3/8" mesh. I'm going to go to that website and see if they have that same net with 5/8". Price wise it looks like a good compromise between a custom made net and the junk you find at Academy. Thanks to everyone for the replies.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Flounder

Cash: 720

My experience: 5/8 and 1.5 lbs/ft is going to fish the best for shrimp. But it's going to be very heavy and gill croakers worse than a 3/8 mesh. I keep one of each in the host. If the shrimp are clean I throw the 5/8, if mixed with fish I throw the 3/8. Make sure you get a net with lead weights. If I has plastic coated steel leave it at the store. I the only thing about the bait buster above is the knots are tied differently than most nets. It's really not a problem, it just feels different. Also if you cast net some where where you have to throw the net out a ways you may want to go down to 1-1.25 lbs/ft.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:24 PM
Flounder

Bson,
Sounds good. I already have a 3/8 and 1/4 net that I keep on the boat. I hear ya on the plastic covered weights. I bought one of those by mistake and ended up giving it away. I should be ok with the 1.5 lb/ft. I will be throwing this net out of a boat and shouldn't have to cast for distance. I think I will stick with a 6ft max radius. I'm getting up in age and anything bigger is just too much net. Thanks again.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:03 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I have a 6' mono and a hand made with string 6'. The mono out fishes it probably 3 to 1. Same lead size and everything, I find the mono sinks much faster.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:10 AM
Flounder

Cash: 485

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JfYw6j5LmrQ
Old 05-11-2017, 07:39 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Somebody hand from Lydia was in front of dagos other day trying to sell me a custom net. Said it only caught shrimp Was pogey proof. Think he was just wanting money for meth.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,668

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb View Post
Somebody hand from Lydia was in front of dagos other day trying to sell me a custom net. Said it only caught shrimp Was pogey proof. Think he was just wanting money for meth.
He's full of it. and nylon nets don't sink as fast and are extra heavy when wet!
Old 05-11-2017, 01:36 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb View Post
I had one of them...I used to throw it at Miller's Lake and never caught a single pogey! It got stolen from the back of my truck near the Lydia bridge.