View Poll Results: aluminum or Carolina Skiff
Aluminum Flat 12 70.59%
Carolina Skiff J16 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2017, 04:31 PM
Redfish

Cash: 676
Default alum flat or Carolina skiff?

I have an old 16ft semi-v alweld that is getting to the point in its age and my use of it that it will need some serious attention to get to my needs and might not be worth the money put into it. I have a little jingle in my pocket and want to buy a new boat, I run a flat bottom 21DLX carolina skiff at work and i really like how durable the boat is and how it handles, so ive been taking interest in maybe upgrading the alweld to a j16 carolina skiff. The thing that draws me to them over a alum is that the flotation is under the floor so its not in the way of storage like in my alweld. They are relatively light too, 330 lbs ish, but my gut tells me that if you buy a flat boat it has to be alum.

I'll be running a tiller handle tohoatsu 40 four stroke on it.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:48 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 417

I've looked hard at those Carolina's and some of the Texas skiffs over the years. But I just can't bring myself to put a fiberglass boat through what I do. I'm pretty gentle on my stuff compared to some. But every now and then you find a stump, reef, or rock. And aluminum handles it. Glass you're having a bad day! I run an older 17' mod v aluminum. And if I ever replace it I'll have Uncle J build me a brand new set up with a little more power.

Also, you don't have to waste storage for flotation. Do a custom boat and they'll hide it as well.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2017, 05:57 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,364

to me, the beauty of aluminum is that you can weld it. welding add ons such as handles, light brackets and leaning posts are much better welded over bolted. JMO.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:55 AM
Redfish

On the same token you can glass it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2017, 07:57 AM
Redfish

The only thing ill be adding to the boat that welding would be better is the seat pedestals. The trolling motor bolts on regardless, thats the only thing i really plan on adding to it.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:07 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

I had a 16 ft. duracraft semi v . I now have a carolina JVX 16. The ride is smother than an aluminum but you got to keep the weight to the back for a drier ride . The worse is in sharp turns with a wind blowing . I don't know how a flat J16 would be but the design of the JVX shoots water out to the side up front and turning into the wind in a chop at speed will blow spray into the boat . I had my duracraft for 10 years and now going on 9 years with my JVX and like the carolina better . Duracraft had to go back to factory twice and rewelded by me 3 times....Carolina just washed and waxed...Both garage kept . Carolina some tuff boats ...The boat is rated for a 60 and I'm running a 70 so that may have something to do with the spray at speed....
Old 08-28-2017, 06:14 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun87 View Post
I have an old 16ft semi-v alweld that is getting to the point in its age and my use of it that it will need some serious attention to get to my needs and might not be worth the money put into it. I have a little jingle in my pocket and want to buy a new boat, I run a flat bottom 21DLX carolina skiff at work and i really like how durable the boat is and how it handles, so ive been taking interest in maybe upgrading the alweld to a j16 carolina skiff. The thing that draws me to them over a alum is that the flotation is under the floor so its not in the way of storage like in my alweld. They are relatively light too, 330 lbs ish, but my gut tells me that if you buy a flat boat it has to be alum.

I'll be running a tiller handle tohoatsu 40 four stroke on it.

10,000 Commercial Crabbers in Louisiana and 75% run Carolina Skiffs. They put them through a lot. More than what you going to put it though probably. Unless you getting a Hanko, Scully or Charles Leonard etc. custom made, I would go with a CS.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:29 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
10,000 Commercial Crabbers in Louisiana and 75% run Carolina Skiffs. They put them through a lot. More than what you going to put it though probably. Unless you getting a Hanko, Scully or Charles Leonard etc. custom made, I would go with a CS.
Yes, but they also don't care what they look like after getting all beat up. Lol
Old 09-12-2017, 06:32 AM
Redfish

If I were to go aluminum what brand of flat boat, around a 1648, is best suited to be pushed by a tiller handle 4 stroke tohatsu 40? All I'm looking for is a simple boat with a front deck and a back deck, open floored. It cant have foam in anyplace where a storage compartment would be, that's the main reason i hate the alweld I'm in now. I'd assume if id go alum id have to get a commercial grade hull that is foam flotationless.

I've considered that I could have a boat built, but they are typically made with thicker aluminum and are heavier and I'd assume by that slower. Not to mention most of the time they cost more than an brand named boat.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:04 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

How do you want the inside of the boat set up?

There's other places to put foam aside from a seat. Some put it in the floor, some put it in the sides, some do both. I believe Coast Guard requires boat to be neutrally buoyant but I could be wrong on that. A semi v will run and ride a little better than a flat boat, flat boat will get skinnier, its all a tradeoff.

Have a look a the Havoc 1650

I love the way this one is set up

Old 09-13-2017, 07:07 AM
Redfish

Them havocs are nice but they are $$$$

Old 09-13-2017, 07:09 AM
Redfish

And from what i understand they are heavy