SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978
Default Shed Flooded Please Help Me

Ok guys my shed got 14 inches of water in it due to the flooding and all my power tools is in there chain saws, lawn mower, chop saw, skill saw, drill, battery charger, air compressor, and several other power tools. Everything got water in it are was completly submerged under water what can I do to salvage my tools. I will post pictures later guys. Any advice would help. Thanks Guys
Old 03-12-2012, 07:17 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,829

PM Fishinpox....I bet he knows if they are salvageable.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:17 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

First and foremost........ DO NOT PLUG THEM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put them in an area where you can get good ventilation to them, w/o exposing them to more rain. If you wait for them to "COMPLETELy" dry out, they will most likely be fine. Do not plug them in or attempt to turn them on for at least a week.

If it has a computer board it is probably fried, but if it is just open & closed circuits, You should be ok.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

Don't try to start the gas powered stuff either, can't compress water. Drain all fluids and replace them, crank case oil, gas tank, carb bowl etc.... Pull the spark plug out of the engine and spin engine over to blow any water out. That is all we would do when we would submerge a fourwheeler on a ride. It may take a few oil changes to flush all the water out. Just keep changing it until it is no longer milky. Best of luck
Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,063

WD-40 everything as much as u can.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:55 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

ins. claim
Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewing View Post
WD-40 everything as much as u can.
X2!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Cash: 1,526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
First and foremost........ DO NOT PLUG THEM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put them in an area where you can get good ventilation to them, w/o exposing them to more rain. If you wait for them to "COMPLETELy" dry out, they will most likely be fine. Do not plug them in or attempt to turn them on for at least a week.

If it has a computer board it is probably fried, but if it is just open & closed circuits, You should be ok.
X2 except if it has a circuit board in it let it dry completely before turning it on !!

Good luck! If you need some help P/M me!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Redfish

Cash: 899

Had everything go under in Katrina (way under). Spray all of your power tools with WD-40 or penetrating oil as soon as possible and allow to dry for at least a week before plugging them in. You should be able to save everything besides the battery charger (circuit boards are toast). For the gas powered stuff do exactly what jdm4x4 explained. I let everything dry out (watch out for rust and corrosion) and replaced the fluids. I ran them for 5 minutes and changed the oil again (looked like chocolate milk due to moisture). Spray all bearings really well, they seem to be the weak link. Quality tools make a difference. Only lost a cheap drill and a cheap chainsaw. Everything is still running years later. Had electrical problems with a riding lawn mower because the battery was attached when it went under. Had to replace all the positive wires and fuses, but it is fine now.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

I would drain all the fluids out of the gas powered tools n set em up to drain all excess water, do the same with power tools. My guys leave my tools out in the rain, drop in puddles, ect.... Aside from some surface rust they still work. You might try to spray a thin coat of corrosion X on the tools when almost dry.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcutta37 View Post
ins. claim
this is what I was thinking, if it was in shed it zhould be covered under home owners ins. especially if you have flood.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Cash: 1,526

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
Had everything go under in Katrina (way under). Spray all of your power tools with WD-40 or penetrating oil as soon as possible and allow to dry for at least a week before plugging them in. You should be able to save everything besides the battery charger (circuit boards are toast). For the gas powered stuff do exactly what jdm4x4 explained. I let everything dry out (watch out for rust and corrosion) and replaced the fluids. I ran them for 5 minutes and changed the oil again (looked like chocolate milk due to moisture). Spray all bearings really well, they seem to be the weak link. Quality tools make a difference. Only lost a cheap drill and a cheap chainsaw. Everything is still running years later. Had electrical problems with a riding lawn mower because the battery was attached when it went under. Had to replace all the positive wires and fuses, but it is fine now.
No disrespect but as long as a circuit board Is dry it WILL BE OK!!

I have pressure washed a television and let it dry I'm watching it now???
Old 03-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSaint View Post
No disrespect but as long as a circuit board Is dry it WILL BE OK!!

I have pressure washed a television and let it dry I'm watching it now???
Yep, this is correct. I still use an amp, 6x9 speakers and a 10" sub that sat in saltwater for a day when it flooded for Rita, got them in a ice chest radio now.
Open everything that has a circuit board and let it dry good. As long as it wasn't plugged in when it got wet, it should work fine.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

The gas motors drain oil and gas and get em running ASAP! They should be fine.....if they want to run rough put a small amount of sea foam in the tank and let it run.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
this is what I was thinking, if it was in shed it zhould be covered under home owners ins. especially if you have flood.
Elevation certificate is based on highest floor above base elevation. Sheds are not part of the elevation cert and will not be covered on any flood policy. Sorry if I bring bad news but this is what the rules are for flood insurance. Also not covered under HO since it was rising water. Good advise from everyone on the equipment though.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Elevation certificate is based on highest floor above base elevation. Sheds are not part of the elevation cert and will not be covered on any flood policy. Sorry if I bring bad news but this is what the rules are for flood insurance. Also not covered under HO since it was rising water. Good advise from everyone on the equipment though.
luckly I dont live in a flood zone nor do I have a flooding problem but thanks for clearing that up for anyone that would assume they were covered by this
Old 03-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -514

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
luckly I dont live in a flood zone nor do I have a flooding problem but thanks for clearing that up for anyone that would assume they were covered by this
So da stuff was not in the shed u say. If u have flood ins. Then it's better to keep your stuff in da yard an don't worry if it get stollen home cover dat.

Sound like wl&f ins.

I need dat an Mac ins. Too for my noodle
Da Gunna weezel out how da can an prob charge u more in da long

Good luck bro da rain was just da start
Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I have left electrical tools out in the rain that work fine, but like veryone says do not plug them in.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

Some people say this is the wrong thing to do but everyone has an opinion. If the oil is still very milky after oil change, flush the crank case with diesel. Put it to full mark and turn the engine over by hand then drain it. Don't run it like that though!!! I've seen it take 3-4 oil changes for the oil to clean up and not be milky.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -514

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm4x43732 View Post
Some people say this is the wrong thing to do but everyone has an opinion. If the oil is still very milky after oil change, flush the crank case with diesel. Put it to full mark and turn the engine over by hand then drain it. Don't run it like that though!!! I've seen it take 3-4 oil changes for the oil to clean up and not be milky.
Alcohol works too but don't run it an let it dry then put oil