SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion > Freshwater Fishing Reports

Freshwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite freshwater spots here

Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738
Default Spawn is starting at Lake Martin

My brother called me up this afternoon wanted to make a afternoon run. Figured it would be tough after the front,boy was I wrong. We fished the north side of the lake in the lilly pad and grass mats with a black n red pitt boss. Fished for 3 hours ended up with 12 bass. Nothing huge 2-3 pounders but they were all full of eggs and in 1-2 fow. Next full moon it will be on.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,559

Good report.. Music to my ears.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 PM
Great White

Lake looks great with the high water!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Cash: 1,526

Thanks for the report!!!! May the lake Sat.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSaint View Post
Thanks for the report!!!! May the lake Sat.
I plan on going back saturday with the jig pole try to catch some slabs. My brother does not fish for sacalait much so we didn't even try. Will be in a light blue 15' duracraft with a 60 johnson.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
I plan on going back saturday with the jig pole try to catch some slabs. My brother does not fish for sacalait much so we didn't even try. Will be in a light blue 15' duracraft with a 60 johnson.
I'll holler!!!

Thanks again!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,546

What's dive limit on em over there caught a few in recent trips threw em all back tho. 12-13 1/2"
Same with sacs do they have a size limit on em?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 PM
Great White

No size limit on bass or sacalait at lake martin. If you want to keep bass the 12-15 inchers are the best to eat. I let all the bass go they were about to pop with eggs. Sacalait is a different story though,pop them in hot grease. No size limit on them statewide cept for toledo I think they gotta be 10"
Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 PM
Sailfish

I knew I heard 10" somewheres that's why I didn't keep em other day. I threw bass back for reason you stated. They were in 2' of water and egged up so I figured that. I may go tomorrow afternoon to check the strength of battery and finish running ethanol fuel out.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:27 PM
Great White

I think darbonne recently changed to a 10" limit as well....no need to go that far though plenty of sacalait down south.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:27 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,829

Good to know, thanks for the info. I'm not to much on bass but I'll tear up some sacalait !
Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Boy View Post
Good to know, thanks for the info. I'm not to much on bass but I'll tear up some sacalait !
I love to catch bass but while I am bass fishing I always end up picking up the jig pole when the area looks crappie.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Quote:
I love to catch bass but while I am bass fishing I always end up picking up the jig pole when the area looks crappie.
X2
Old 02-01-2013, 04:44 AM
Sailfish

Beetle spin Baw!!!! I like to jig but when I spin its always with a beetle spin!! Fish hard my friends

Old 02-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 672

Quote:

let me know how u do with sac a lait there cux im dying to go back there to catch some. cux last year i went out there but it was too late for me cux they finished spawning earlier than expected due to warm winter we had last year but i did catch a few nice slabs but hopefully this year i can be right on them and i even got the clear jig tube u were speaking of the other day but this clear jig tube has some black spots on it so im hoping its clear enuf. will try that out to see if it really works even i love using blue and white. but will try to see if i can catch some grass shrimp to tip them on the end of the hook of the clear tube.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Great White

I love fishing treetops or grass mats ripping them out...never caught a sacalait on a beetle spin.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingonewild View Post
let me know how u do with sac a lait there cux im dying to go back there to catch some. cux last year i went out there but it was too late for me cux they finished spawning earlier than expected due to warm winter we had last year but i did catch a few nice slabs but hopefully this year i can be right on them and i even got the clear jig tube u were speaking of the other day but this clear jig tube has some black spots on it so im hoping its clear enuf. will try that out to see if it really works even i love using blue and white. but will try to see if i can catch some grass shrimp to tip them on the end of the hook of the clear tube.
They there I promise you....Fish the north bank in the lilly pad mats. It can be tough fishing....sometimes you gotta make a opening in the lillys to drop your jig in. I use something similar to a frog gig to open up the lillys. Don't use a cork either,tightline. Shiners work good too when they get picky.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
They there I promise you....Fish the north bank in the lilly pad mats. It can be tough fishing....sometimes you gotta make a opening in the lillys to drop your jig in. I use something similar to a frog gig to open up the lillys. Don't use a cork either,tightline. Shiners work good too when they get picky.
north bank is when u go straight across from boat launch right? cux i tried there a few times and didnt catch maybe its because im using a cork. i need to try without it and see if tha makes a big different but what abt the area where that water pump is on the right side coming out from the boat launch. i think there that watch tower by it and a pier u walk out on. i did catch a few good size in the trees around tha area. im still learning my way around at lake martin but when people say north bank or etc im like ahhh where is that at lol...
Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Great White

North side is where the dam is....it's not a watch tower just a small wooden peir by the pump. Water is spilling over the water is so high but the current is helping the bite I think.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
North side is where the dam is....it's not a watch tower just a small wooden peir by the pump. Water is spilling over the water is so high but the current is helping the bite I think.

a dam! that is new to me.... i never seen a dam over there in lake martin im thinking of the one where u come in onto the gravel road and see a big drain where the water drains out from lake martin and there a little long walkway to sigh see right by it. but as of in the lake itself i never seen no damn just that pump and big pier to fish off of.