SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > Quitters and Losers Forum

Quitters and Losers Forum Come here to discuss self-improvement challenges, such as losing weight or quitting tobacco, alcohol, drugs, etc. NO BASHING and NO OFF-TOPIC POSTING in this forum! Lead, follow, or get outta the way!

Old 12-11-2017, 09:33 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556
Default 56 hours in.

I have my semi annual BP drs visit coming up . last week i had the normal 6 month fasting lab work done.
Every thing came back good except my liver enzymes. Through the roof.
i have had some weight gain and edema in my lower extremities for the last month or so.
started doing some research and find out that it's from alcohol consumption.
I ( we ) have been drinking hard liquor for so long that i never even thought about how much i was drinking. We are both Functioning alcoholics. I fixed my normal solo cup of ice , instead of alcohol i poured water into the cup to the level i usually put the bourbon. Then i strained that into a measuring cup.
Each drink i was making had between 4 and 5 ounces of 80 proof alcohol in it . During the week i would have 4 - 5 of these a night, weekends maybe 5 - 6.
Never drank on the job , didn't start till 4:30 on week days and usually 1 pm on weekends. never missed work because of alcohol . didn't have hangovers. always cooked and ate. Been drinking like this for over 10 years Exact definition of a high functioning alcoholic.
Doc says he doesn't "think" that i have done irreversible damage to my liver yet. But that i was very close.
Sat down and had a heart to heart talk with the wife and explained that i had to quit drinking and that unless she quit too .I was going to die. We had our last drink at 10 PM December 8 2017. Right now it's 8:20 am on DEC 11 2017 and i sit here with the heater on 74 wrapped in a blanket shaking like a leaf. Is this fun ? hell no but it sure beats the alternative.
I will slay this dragon. I AM NOT READY TO DIE !!!
If you are of the faith based community we ask for your prayers and If not just your well wishes and good thoughts.
Thanks, Bob
PS: This is probably the hardest and most sobering and eye opening thing i have ever had to put into words.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:01 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449

Get it Bob! you can do it bud. Glad your taking the drastic necessary actions. Will keep you in my prayers
Old 12-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Good on you man! I hope you can stay on track. My mother in law was a heavy drinker for a while and suffered some severe issues due to it. She spent almost 2 weeks in the hospital and she now suffers from sever short term memory loss. The doc said that things will return back to normal after a period of abstaining from drinking. That was a little over 2 years ago and she still can't remember a conversation 10 minutes later..... I am a moderate drinker and watching what happened to her scared me away from it for a while. Don't put that burden on your loved ones.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Hey man I am going to tell you. I am a faith based person and I believe you can do this. However, you need to seek medical help to do this. Even your primary care. Alcohol detox can and will kill you. You need to get on some meds for this. Literally l, this is very serious drug detox won’t kill you, but alcohol detox can. Best of luck to you but call your doctor today and tell him what your doing and let him know you want to do it safely and get his recommendations. I’m in the medical field, I’ve seen alcohol detox it is not pretty. Can cause seizures and lethal heart arrhythmias if done cold turkey especially if you’ve been drinking as much as you claim for as long as you claim. Wanna see you succeed in a safe manner.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:12 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

God bless you, man. Rooting for you over here.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:44 AM
Swordfish

It's 4:30 and i have been awake since 3 am. 4 days and a few hours sober and i feel like crap. Going from cold sweats to itching all over to being exhausted and can't sleep.
I have a Dr's appointment at 7 am and i will see if there's something he can prescribe to help? If not i'll just have to pull my big girl panties up and soldier on .
The Journey Continues ....
Old 12-12-2017, 06:22 AM
Ling

I mean it’s going to be a struggle either way but by seeing your doctor, you’ll at least be alive at the other end of it. You can do this!! And you’ll be so glad you did afterwards
Old 12-12-2017, 10:46 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
If not i'll just have to pull my big girl panties up and soldier on .
The Journey Continues ....
I applaud your resolve to soldier on!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
I mean it?s going to be a struggle either way but by seeing your doctor, you?ll at least be alive at the other end of it. You can do this!! And you?ll be so glad you did afterwards
He prescribed me 12 days of decreasing dose Valium and told me to take a B-100 vitamin high in thiamine and Folate.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:28 PM
Ling

Awesome. Glad to hear. You can do this bro!!!
Old 12-14-2017, 07:01 AM
Swordfish

Last 2 nights have been the best nights sleep i have had in years. i would still eat glass to have a drink in the evening while watching TV. but that is something i'm sure i'll fight for a while. edema is way down and although i still have times i itch and shake they are a LOT less than 2 - 3 day ago.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:21 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Glad to hear you're doing better bro.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:51 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Last 2 nights have been the best nights sleep i have had in years. i would still eat glass to have a drink in the evening while watching TV. but that is something i'm sure i'll fight for a while. edema is way down and although i still have times i itch and shake they are a LOT less than 2 - 3 day ago.
Best wishes to you Bob, I'll know you will slay this Dragon. How's the wife doing with quitting? My prayers to you guys.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:36 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,329

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:33 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Best wishes to you Bob, I'll know you will slay this Dragon. How's the wife doing with quitting? My prayers to you guys.
She is still on the wagon. She didn't drink near the amount i did and other than being aggravated a lot she's good.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:26 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Each drink i was making had between 4 and 5 ounces of 80 proof alcohol in it . During the week i would have 4 - 5 of these a night, weekends maybe 5 - 6.
I just did the math on that. That's dang near a 5th of liquor every night and a bit more on the weekends. That's a LOT. Good luck to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2017, 09:35 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
I just did the math on that. That's dang near a 5th of liquor every night and a bit more on the weekends. That's a LOT. Good luck to you.

We would buy a case of handles twice a month. around $375 / month.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:39 PM
Swordfish

Default My Journey

Tonight makes 7 days sober. only taking one Valium at night to help me sleep. lost 7 lbs and feeling better. shakes are gone i would still eat glass to have a drink. But i'm sure that's going to be long term.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:47 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Holy Crap. Dude take that money every month and stick it in a savings account. That will give u a little extra incentive when u see how fast that is going to add up

Old 12-16-2017, 08:49 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Holy Crap. Dude take that money every month and stick it in a savings account. That will give u a little extra incentive when u see how fast that is going to add up

way ahead of you going to be a new car note.