SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion > Freshwater Fishing Reports

Freshwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite freshwater spots here

Old 01-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
This is interesting info.

x2
Old 01-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 680

Don't mean to steal your thread but also we fish off a deep body of water and fish in about 4 feet of water. A creek runs thru the area, it is about 6-8 feet and it adjoins the river about 300 yards away which is about 25 to 40 feet deep. If you have stumps but no place to tie, get any type or rod and drive it into the stum. (rebar, or the frames from the flower arrangments after a funeral.) Bend it over and wa-la... you have something to tie to. Perch also will look for timber or roots. Catfish loves perch so they need protection. We also catch a few catfish which I don't mind, I likes the catfish, as long as they are cleaned right. NO RED MEAT! Thats what will make you get up from the table. Trim it off and cut the belly out. Unless it is an op, belly meat is good.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

I gotta say Yomega makes the best.

The xbrain was one of my favorites
Old 01-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUACKHEAD View Post
Don't mean to steal your thread but also we fish off a deep body of water and fish in about 4 feet of water. A creek runs thru the area, it is about 6-8 feet and it adjoins the river about 300 yards away which is about 25 to 40 feet deep. If you have stumps but no place to tie, get any type or rod and drive it into the stum. (rebar, or the frames from the flower arrangments after a funeral.) Bend it over and wa-la... you have something to tie to. Perch also will look for timber or roots. Catfish loves perch so they need protection. We also catch a few catfish which I don't mind, I likes the catfish, as long as they are cleaned right. NO RED MEAT! Thats what will make you get up from the table. Trim it off and cut the belly out. Unless it is an op, belly meat is good.

We mainly have one DEEP river channel, and cypress banks running along side of it. Plenty of cypress knees/tress, Guess i'll have to try the bend rebar and stick it in the bank or stump. Only thing I worry about is ppl stealing em. I try to cover the front halfway with moss, so it's not so obvious..Might consider painting em black and just tying a orange marker 3 trees down so i know its in the area
Old 01-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak'em-n-stack'em View Post

I gotta say Yomega makes the best.

The xbrain was one of my favorites

i had the blue x-brain, baby was SWEET!
Old 01-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,547

i actually had one of those...
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 01-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

me too

that and the black mamba
Old 01-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Tripletail

Not sure where you are Fool, Calcasieu , houston river ... Moss bluff has a couple of marshes. One between Westlake and Mossbluff off Perkins Ferry the other at the Moss Bluff and Lake Charles Bridge. Also I would think English Bayou should be good. I think that's the one close to Sam Houston under the Bridge before you get to the park?? Been a long time since being there, I get confused. But I would think either of the marshes should be worth trying. I use to pole fishem at the Gulf states ditch at the mouth of the channel, and at the ditch between there and the barrier. Drop a jig to the bottom in spring. Down the latter ditch should be good for yo-yo's. Use to be anyway, lots of brush on both banks, plus it was a dead end narrow ditch. Most people that knows it don't go down it till spring looking for bass.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

The place I'm thinkin' of tryin' 'em is just top after top after top. Some buddies tried there with cane poles the other day and said it was so thick that they could barely get down.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Tripletail

If there are perch or bass there you'll pull em out Salty. We have used cane in shallow water to have something to tie the yo yo to. It's not rocket science, you don't have to get W involved. anything that you can stick in the mud to hold a fish fight. The yoyo will fight the fish and tire them out in just a few seconds. It's pretty cool if your close to the bank and hear them trip. When the fish starts fighting you can hear the yo yo hitting the side of what ever you tied them to and hear the string as it is going out then in.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:50 AM
Great White

Quote:
Not sure where you are Fool, Calcasieu , houston river ... Moss bluff has a couple of marshes. One between Westlake and Mossbluff off Perkins Ferry the other at the Moss Bluff and Lake Charles Bridge. Also I would think English Bayou should be good. I think that's the one close to Sam Houston under the Bridge before you get to the park?? Been a long time since being there, I get confused. But I would think either of the marshes should be worth trying. I use to pole fishem at the Gulf states ditch at the mouth of the channel, and at the ditch between there and the barrier. Drop a jig to the bottom in spring. Down the latter ditch should be good for yo-yo's. Use to be anyway, lots of brush on both banks, plus it was a dead end narrow ditch. Most people that knows it don't go down it till spring looking for bass.

im on West fork, i have the lil Burns behind my house (nothing but stumps!) but i dont think there are many white perch back there. Not after rita.

I'll try Indian Bayou, and Gulf States Ditch some more.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Tripletail

Man, when I was young we use to tear the bass and bream up back there. We caught a few white perch and frogs as big as a small dog. That's where I use to hang out in a 14 foot alum with a 6 hp Johnson. No trolling motor back then on my boat. Short handled paddleor a pole. I also learned how to throw a bait caster up in there. That was a few years back.....probley 38 years ago. It hadn't been fresh water that long then. Before that we use to go crabbing at the ferry (where the bridge is now) about 42 years ago. Between Mossbluff and Westlake.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Tripletail

There should be another ditch between Gulf States Ditch and the Saltwater Barrier, I don't know anything about the developements to land since I left there 26 years ago. Only visited land based areas since. I have just gotten back into the saltwater stuff a year or so back. I am finding out there are a lot of changes.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default Yo Yos are Good Umm K

Every god fearing, whiskey drinking, red blooded American should run yo yo's atleast once in their life. It really is a thrill when their hitting good; they will keep you running in circles if its good. One night we stayed out like 4 hours because they were hitting so fast; as soon as we would get to the end of our string there would be fish at the begenning.

Tear em up Fool.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,333

Quackhead this is some nice information/experiences being exchanged between you and Fool. Your experience being passed to the younger generation.
Like hearing those back in the day stories of the way things were here in the Bluff area. Did you live in the Bluff? I have been residing in the Bluff for 13 years.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:57 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
There should be another ditch between Gulf States Ditch and the Saltwater Barrier, I don't know anything about the developements to land since I left there 26 years ago. Only visited land based areas since. I have just gotten back into the saltwater stuff a year or so back. I am finding out there are a lot of changes.
Yes, that ditch is still there.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:49 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

does anyone remember the signs that was in the little burns that u could see off the hey rf bridge
Old 01-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfence View Post
does anyone remember the signs that was in the little burns that u could see off the hey rf bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Yes, that ditch is still there.
Quote:
Man, when I was young we use to tear the bass and bream up back there. We caught a few white perch and frogs as big as a small dog. That's where I use to hang out in a 14 foot alum with a 6 hp Johnson. No trolling motor back then on my boat. Short handled paddleor a pole. I also learned how to throw a bait caster up in there. That was a few years back.....probley 38 years ago. It hadn't been fresh water that long then. Before that we use to go crabbing at the ferry (where the bridge is now) about 42 years ago. Between Mossbluff and Westlake.

Feesh im assuming yall talking about on the West Side of the river?

Quackhead,the westlake/mb bridge?? Didn't know a ferry crossed there, at the end of my road i know one crossed (hints the "ferry Rd")
Old 01-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Tripletail

The ditch is on the west side, same as Gulf States Ditch. I was kinda young my self at the time but it seems it was pretty much where the bridge is. I can remember once we crossed it you was on hwy 378. Moss Bluff wasn't much back then, but there was a small hardware store up close to where the High School is but across the road, you could get basic fishing supplies there. There is alot of Marsh land on the Westlake side an either sider of 378. As you are crossing the Bridge to Westlake , if you turn right and follow the road, it use to dead end about 300 yards. We would shoot Wood Ducks roosting late in the evening. On the other side of 378 about where the rope swing (Been there for years)is if you walk thru the woods just a couple hundred feet you will hit a big marsh there aswell. It use to be a good blue gill hole there. The water was about 2-4 feet deep in most of it. The P. ferry road had always been horrible to drive from the time you turned off of 378. It was paved about 1/2 mile then pot holes and mud to the end. The old wooden bridge that crossed the ditch that fed water into that marsh was the only access to get your boat back there. There wasn't many Houses on the road back then and the ones that were was close to 378.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfence View Post
What is the "hey rf bridge"???