SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
My take on unions is that they have overstayed their welcome. I know it's a touchy subject for union members to deal with but it's the truth. In the 1920s when laborers were getting paid pennies and working in unsafe conditions was the norm, unions were there to protect them, and rightfully so. Now we have LABOR LAWS and unions are no longer needed.

I don't think the Twinkie brand is going to go away but I do think they will be made without union labor.
Your 100% correct , Unions are a thing of the past. Union workers are not making more money these days than Non Union

You pay a Union for what???? Protect your job ?

Unions kill thousands of jobs a month
Old 11-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Pabst Blue Ribbon is thinking about buying Hostess.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...ss-brands.html

“Shedding the complications of the unions and old plants makes it even more attractive.”
Old 11-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

You can get the same thing accomplished today without a union as you can with one.

I use to work for a food delivery company delivering goods to restaurants and stores. The piece minimum for drivers to get a helper was 900, which is a lot to deliver. The drivers all wanted it at 800 and the transportation manager wasn't budging or the president of the company. What we did was all went to work got in our trucks and went to the truck stop close by, we then called the boss and told him we wasn't leaving till we got to talk to the owner. Needless to say but the next day everyone who had over 800 pieces on the truck had a helper in the truck.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,466

Convincing blue collar workers that Unions are a bad thing is one of the greatest tricks the Republicans have ever played.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evis102 View Post
Convincing blue collar workers that Unions are a bad thing is one of the greatest tricks the Republicans have ever played.
And telling the poor that you are for them and will tax the rich

Is the oldest Democrat trick to keep poor

Poor
Old 11-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

How do you say Twinkie in Chineese?

I have worked in many facets of the oilfield and with many capacities. If any of you are familiar with the "BP Whiting" it is a HUGE plant near Chicago that was transformed from taking the "Gulf crude" to take the "Canadian Oil Sands" Crude.

Local fabricators in South Louisiana landed the project. It was in upwards of 1,000 pipe rack modules and process modules. There are MANY steel mills and fabricators along the Mississippi River and around the Chicago area that could have handled this....anyone want to guess why it headed south? It wasn't for the fishing and hunting!!!!!!

Another was the Conoco "Wood River" project...that was built in South Texas...longer haul!

The cost of labor (unions)....whatever you want to call it....outweighted the real cost plust transportation!!!!!!! Barges / Tugs from New Iberia to Chicago.....They aint cheap!

Then my last comment for now for all of you Union Folks......did you have the option to not join the union when you signed up for the job?

Last edited by Ragin_Cajun; 11-18-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Unions .... America new Fail !!!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,165

I don't see unions having the power people are saying they have. A union can't strike over anything pertaining to money. Wages, insurance costs, retirement all fall under the category of economic strike. That's what happened to the guys at PPG. PPG took them to court and the strike was declared economic. Once that happens the striking workers can be terminated and replaced. I'm not saying unions don't strike over money, but if they do once the company gets it to court they will pretty much have to go back to work.

In regards to jobs going overseas I don't think American workers can compete with the wages in India and China whether we're talking union or non -union. Those people make pennies compared to us. Also environmental regulations here add to the cost of operating a plant versus India and China. My plant has an entire unit built to remove sulfur from our waste gas stream before it is sent into the atmosphere. This wouldn't be required in China. That adds to the cost of building the plant and running it, plus fines when the unit goes down.

I'm not saying unions were or were not to blame for Hostess shutting down, I'm just trying to bring out some facts besides just saying unions are evil or unions help the working man.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 657

The only thing I have learned from these four pages of post is W is about four feet tall with a big case of little man syndrome. Dont talk about stuff you have no clue about. Thanks union hand
Old 11-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
The only thing I have learned from these four pages of post is W is about four feet tall with a big case of little man syndrome. Dont talk about stuff you have no clue about. Thanks union hand
Awesome 8th Post

U Mad
Old 11-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Sand Trout

No I don't have to post all my pics of all the fish I catch or birds I kill to make me fill big and bad
Old 11-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
No I don't have to post all my pics of all the fish I catch or birds I kill to make me fill big and bad
9th post.....
Old 11-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Sand Trout

Well I think you are living proof u don't get any smarter the more u post

Last edited by jojo; 11-18-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Bad spelling
Old 11-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,022

Companies are looking to trim cost and they are looking to reduce labor quietly.
For the company I work for I have to trim labor which some of it due to
obama care, increasing taxes, and perceived inflation.
By the way we gave 4% to 6% raises depending on time in service and evaluation.
Not laying off anyone down South in non union markets only in Union Markets.
People I am laying off are union positions that are duplication of an existing position.
When union shop stewart told me they would go on strike I told them then it would make my job easier.
I showed him that I can cut duplicate positions where you may only lose x amount of people or if you go on strike everyone is gone.
Showed him applications of highly qualified people looking to fill those positions that were laid off from other companies.
He backed down at that point.

Not being mean if he looked at what Obama care alone going to cost this company he would start being a team player.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Tripletail

Ask Grand Isle Shipyard how they are doing with Cheap labor!!!!!! Sad day!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,550

The recipes are for sale. Little Debbie is the front runner to buy them.

It doesnt happen often but I have to agree with W on this. The point is that 18500 people lost their jobs including the union workers. I work with union employees everyday and in most cases they ask for to much. I realize that unions are trying to look out for the best interest of their members but with margins being so low with the current state of the economy most companies just cant meet the demands. So then the union goes on strike and this happens.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Tripletail

This cant happen!!!! Little Debbie CAN'T have a TWINKIE!!!!!!!!! LMAO
Old 11-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin_Cajun View Post
Ask Grand Isle Shipyard how they are doing with Cheap labor!!!!!! Sad day!
Really???

How can you make this assumption?

BP had 11men die in a 100000x worse accident and no cheap labor involved !

We don't know what happened because GIS and Black Elk are now dumping blame on each other to the media

We will know 100% when MMS does the final report
Old 11-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Tripletail

You mean BOEMR.

IT is a tragedy that anyone has to loose a life due to any type of accident that could be prevented. Trust me, i am in the safety business and i do it for a living and I know first hand!

I am all for competitive business and fair business....and i think unions are not good for business.

In my youngest days out of college, i have worked union for a publically traded EPIC company. The bottom line, i was hired to do a job.....if i didn't do it above and beyond what the company expected....they should have run me. But, that is how i am programmed....work my tail off and don't need to hide nor pay for "protection" for a job. If i don't like it, i move on.

I can say because it was a Phillipino crew. The Phillipino consulate has made a press release. And if you tell me that language barriers are not an added risk to whatever you may do for a living, i encourage you to go work in Corpus or Brownsville TX for a month and then come talk to me. Let me know how well you comprehend the Spanish version of the site orientation or the safety video.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin_Cajun View Post
You mean BOEMR.

You mean BSEE Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement. Changed names again