SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-21-2014, 11:01 AM
specktator's Avatar
specktator specktator is offline
Swordfish
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 6,582
Cash: 3,405
Default Duce Rods Shout Out

I would like to give Cade over at Duce Rods a shout out. I have the older generation Duce that broke on me a few weeks ago. Sent him an email and he gave me a call this morning. He told me they no longer have the older generation rods in the style I had but he would give me a new one in the same style. An hour later, he personally drove to my office in Lafayette and dropped me a brand new rod for my old broken one. That's some quality customer service. Looks like Duce is stepping their game up. Looking forward to trying out this new rod.
__________________
Originally Posted by all star rod
Mako give it up dude.....it is over....it was Jackson st.....accept that we choked and move on.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-21-2014, 11:02 AM
BassYakR's Avatar
BassYakR BassYakR is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 3,551
Cash: 405
Default

good stuff
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2014, 11:25 AM
Hitinitdaily's Avatar
Hitinitdaily Hitinitdaily is offline
Redfish
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 203
Cash: 997
Default

THATS AWESOME!!! Cade is very serious about making sure everyone is happy with DUCE! Glad you had such a good experience Seth
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-21-2014, 11:28 AM
bayouchub bayouchub is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: la
Posts: 965
Cash: 2,478
Default

Great service. If hes going to provide this level of service y not come out with his own line and not be behind the eight ball with the duce name?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-21-2014, 12:08 PM
southern151's Avatar
southern151 southern151 is offline
Blue Marlin
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gonzales
Posts: 8,705
Cash: 3,446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouchub View Post
Great service. If hes going to provide this level of service y not come out with his own line and not be behind the eight ball with the duce name?
Kinda my thoughts. He's got a lot of ground to cover to get back to the black, I'd think.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-21-2014, 03:08 PM
mstulb's Avatar
mstulb mstulb is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 300
Cash: 907
Default

nice, love there fishing rods. I will stick with them if customer service stays solid.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Hitinitdaily's Avatar
Hitinitdaily Hitinitdaily is offline
Redfish
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 203
Cash: 997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Kinda my thoughts. He's got a lot of ground to cover to get back to the black, I'd think.
I'm not an owner of the company but this is how I see it...

DUCE rods are great rods, always have been. Seems almost everyone on this website will agree to that. What they lacked was customer service. Costumer Service was so bad that it drove away many potential buyers along with current DUCE rod owners. In the forums the most reoccurring statement is "Man, Too bad their Customer Service is so bad because I Love the Rods!"

The rods are so prevalent that it has caused many lengthy forum topics with 1,000's of views.

So why buy DUCE rods you say? Because it was a quality product.

Now, its a far more quality product with a great warranty. Its hard to build a brand name from scratch and often can be easier to take a company with name recognition, whether good or bad. Now don't get me wrong it was a ton of cleanup for the new owners.

Instead of proving that a new product is worth it they can just improve the already known household name. Instead of everyone saying, "Who is Duce Rods" they will say "Thank God they got their act together because their rods are worth it now that they have a quality customer service department.


Like I said, this is just my thoughts on the subject. I don't speak on behalf of DUCE on this.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-21-2014, 04:57 PM
southern151's Avatar
southern151 southern151 is offline
Blue Marlin
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gonzales
Posts: 8,705
Cash: 3,446
Default

I totally understand building a name from scratch! It's not fun. Neither is a barrage of butt chewings from disgruntled customers, made mad by someone else. I wish them all the best, really.

Sounds like he's more interested in providing fishing gear than offshore racing boats. Best of luck to em!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-21-2014, 05:38 PM
mr crab's Avatar
mr crab mr crab is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bridge City, TX
Posts: 2,725
Cash: 7,915
Default

I'm pretty sure Duce rods was represented very well on the podium at the Galveston Redfish cup event last weekend. A couple local guys a sponsored by them and those dudes are straight beasts when it comes to tournament redfishing.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Ducktrickster's Avatar
Ducktrickster Ducktrickster is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: La
Posts: 1,268
Cash: 1,852
Default

I will never recommend them and would discourage people from buying them. There are many like me. Scew me once... shame on you...screw me twice...shame on me
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-21-2014, 06:54 PM
daxt79's Avatar
daxt79 daxt79 is offline
Redfish
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 113
Cash: 608
Default

I've never owned a duce rod nor have I even seen one in person, but for such a "quality" rod they sure do seem to have a lot of warranty claims. Regardless of how good or bad the customer service was, why are there so many request for warranty repair? Is it because of failures from normal use, poor craftsmanship, user error, etc...

I'm not bashing or praising them, just wondering from all the comments I've seen about warranty requests on this board.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-21-2014, 07:18 PM
Goooh's Avatar
Goooh Goooh is offline
Swordfish
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Broussard
Posts: 5,660
Cash: 7,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxt79 View Post
I've never owned a duce rod nor have I even seen one in person, but for such a "quality" rod they sure do seem to have a lot of warranty claims. Regardless of how good or bad the customer service was, why are there so many request for warranty repair? Is it because of failures from normal use, poor craftsmanship, user error, etc...

I'm not bashing or praising them, just wondering from all the comments I've seen about warranty requests on this board.

I've heard more about broken ones than I've heard about how far those twisted guides make you cast
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-21-2014, 07:38 PM
BassYakR's Avatar
BassYakR BassYakR is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 3,551
Cash: 405
Default

I have put these rods in a serious bind multiple times.. never had one break. Its one of the most sensetive rods ive used at their price point.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-21-2014, 08:15 PM
H2OFwlKlr H2OFwlKlr is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rayne, LA
Posts: 714
Cash: 1,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
I've heard more about broken ones than I've heard about how far those twisted guides make you cast

The reason you heard so much about the broken ones is because their customer service was lacking, therefore customers were no getting their rods replaced and had to get on message boards and let everyone know about it. I'm sure other rod builders/mfg ... all have rods that break, they just make sure the customer gets a new one asap, therefore, no need to air it out over the interweb, thus, you do not hear as much about their broken rods. New owner seems to have this covered.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-21-2014, 08:40 PM
Matt G's Avatar
Matt G Matt G is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Judice, LA
Posts: 3,083
Cash: 3,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
I've heard more about broken ones than I've heard about how far those twisted guides make you cast
Folks with the old gen rods wanting the new one??? Now that customer service is there, just snap the old one and shoot an email to the new owner. I doubt that's really the reason, but it is plausible.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-21-2014, 09:10 PM
fishinpox's Avatar
fishinpox fishinpox is offline
Blue Marlin
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 8,470
Cash: 5,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Folks with the old gen rods wanting the new one??? Now that customer service is there, just snap the old one and shoot an email to the new owner. I doubt that's really the reason, but it is plausible.
Yeah that would be the ethical thing to do ....... the reason shimano no longer does over the counter warranty is because of people like you who think this kind of behavior is acceptable
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Matt G's Avatar
Matt G Matt G is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Judice, LA
Posts: 3,083
Cash: 3,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
Yeah that would be the ethical thing to do ....... the reason shimano no longer does over the counter warranty is because of people like you who think this kind of behavior is acceptable
Didn't say I think it's acceptable. I just said its plausible. I also said I didn't think that was really the reason. I actually have an older generation Duce rod that I plan on keeping as long as it last, but thanks for your assumption.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-21-2014, 10:33 PM
specknation specknation is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hammond
Posts: 567
Cash: 465
Default

The real reason they broke is they used Batson blank, a very average blank at best. A lot of custom rod builders will try to discourage you from using this blank unless you are trying to get a custom rod on a very tight budget.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-22-2014, 03:14 AM
Skinnywater Skitterwalkin Skinnywater Skitterwalkin is offline
Sand Trout
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 6
Cash: 564
Default

Certainly you know the real reason they ALL broke specknation..... Regardless of why the old generation rods broke, its a totally new company. New management, new products, new warranty. Give the local guys a chance and try out their NEW rods. The past is the past. I got a few of their new generation rods. For the past 4 months I've been using the **** out of them, and letting my friends use them as well. Being a huge supporter of Louisiana businesses, and a UL business major, I was curious to see what kind of rods they were. I fish 3 days a week and definetly put some fish in the box. Ive fought bull reds on M weight rods and fought them much more aggressively than I should have. Just to see what the rod was made of. I easily fought 15 bulls over 2 of those months and put excessive tension on the rods on each one. Until finally it happened!!!!! I broke a rod....... I sent the guy an email with a pic of my rod, 2 days later I went pick up a brand new rod. I dont know what to complain about
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-22-2014, 10:54 AM
CustomRod CustomRod is offline
Redfish
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 144
Cash: 796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by specknation View Post
The real reason they broke is they used Batson blank, a very average blank at best.
I don't agree. The RX6 and RX7 blanks may be average in terms of weight or sensitivity (however it is measured), but I've never had problems with durability.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map