SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:05 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,087
Default Sad to miss out

So I had to share a little rant with my Salty family here. I was convicted of a felony when I was 19 and had my gun rights removed from me. I might add justifying so I did the crime I deserved it. Since then I have not even had as much as a speeding ticket since then and have worked diligently with you groups youth sports ministry anything I could to help kids not go down the same path. I applied for a Pardon around 6 years ago put my life in the news papers interviewed and went before the Senate committee who only approves 5% of pardons. I was approved 5 votes to zero with a Personel recommendation from one of the board members. Now it has sat on Mr Bobby Jindals desk since then waiting on his signature

I say all this because my 15 year old son went on his first hunt today. A binding experience every father should share with his son. Unfortunately I had to sit on the road as a friend finally took him. I might add after several years of friends promising to take him with no avail. I am sitting in the road now listening to the shots happy for him but sad I can't be there to share it with him.

Mr Jindal I hope you can feel my pain one day
Old 12-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

Try to look on the bright side, sounds like you have crossed the hardest part, so keep that in mind. It will come
Old 12-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

I don't understand this? if you go with him but don't hunt and are never holding the gun then are you still considered in possession of a fire arm when its not yours? seams a bit harsh

isn't it the same as fishing where you can be in a boat with other fishermen and not considered to be fishing or need a license if you don't have a pole in your possession
Old 12-23-2014, 02:44 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

you cant be around firearms. idk the exact distance but you cant ride in a vehicle that has guns in it. when my friend goes to the camp with his cousin they either ride seperately or send the gun with someone else because his cousin has a felony.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:45 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
you cant be around firearms. idk the exact distance but you cant ride in a vehicle that has guns in it. when my friend goes to the camp with his cousin they either ride seperately or send the gun with someone else because his cousin has a felony.
wow, that sucks, I didn't realize it was so strict

I think there should be an exclusion for hunting weapons or a reasonable means to restore your gun possession rights after several years depending of course on what the felony charge was.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:59 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

in a case like this I'd say thats a great idea. however this guy is the exception for the most part. the majority shouldnt be allowed around sharp sticks or slingshots
Old 12-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

I have a buddy waiting on the same signature
Old 12-23-2014, 05:30 PM
Tripletail

My wife actually had to drive behind us to the lodge to transport the gun then he rode with a friend to the blind. i followed them and sat at the road and watched. If you are caught with one in your home vehicle or person its 5 years flat no good time period. This very ridiculous at the time there was no ability to esponge the charges for my charges now you can but in order for me to be eligible i have to be retried and re sentenced and start all over again. he has wanted to hunt for years and has never been able to he got to today as i watched from a distance.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:31 PM
Tripletail

to top things off the guide service used sucked put him in the middle of a rice field with 4 hunters on all sides ducks never had a chance to get to them. Geese flying everywhere with no decoys out for them. end of the day $1000 bucks for 2 teal
Old 12-23-2014, 05:50 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,086

1,000$ for just your son??
That's insane price!!!
Old 12-23-2014, 07:23 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

What guide service? Not asking you to bash on them (feel free if you want to), just want to know for my own good.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:23 PM
Tripletail

No three hunters I can't go I got two guys to take him
Old 12-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Redfish

Cash: 896

Bummer of a situation. How many are waiting for the signature? It seems like the approval through review process should make the signing nothing more than busy work. The cynical part of me thinks that the process probably goes quickly if there is political value involved.

Glad your son got to hunt and hopefully you will be able to do so before he gets much older. Keep fishing with him!
Old 12-23-2014, 09:17 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripley View Post
No three hunters I can't go I got two guys to take him
So you paid for the other guys to hunt also??
Amd 3 people shot 2 teal.....
Old 12-23-2014, 09:24 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 565

I do understand your pain, but if we let everyone that was convicted of a felony at any age have a gun it would be simply a bad thing. IMO
Old 12-23-2014, 09:26 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by specknation View Post
I do understand your pain, but if we let everyone that was convicted of a felony at any age have a gun it would be simply a bad thing. IMO
Agreed.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
I agree which is why I went through the processes which were put in place under this same law and Mr Jindal has refused to sign the effect of these processes. This is a 5 panel board which goes through every detail of your life for over a year. Rehabilitation and the ability to gain redemption should be for everyone. Just as there are consequences for breaking the law there should also be benefits for doing the right thing for 14 years. So just making sure once someone does something wrong they should never be forgiven. Hope you never get to experience the same justice you want inflicted.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:57 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripley View Post
I agree which is why I went through the processes which were put in place under this same law and Mr Jindal has refused to sign the effect of these processes. This is a 5 panel board which goes through every detail of your life for over a year. Rehabilitation and the ability to gain redemption should be for everyone. Just as there are consequences for breaking the law there should also be benefits for doing the right thing for 14 years. So just making sure once someone does something wrong they should never be forgiven. Hope you never get to experience the same justice you want inflicted.
You said you hope I never get to experience the same justice that I want inflicted on you. No worries I will never be convicted of a felon, this is not a personal view on you.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:34 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
You said you hope I never get to experience the same justice that I want inflicted on you. No worries I will never be convicted of a felon, this is not a personal view on you.
You say that today I didn't plan to be convicted of one either we are just one decision away. I accept my crimes for what I have done. Have risen above it and will shine anyway thx for you concern.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:29 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,086

That really sucks and is very unfortunate cripley! That hunt your son went on sounds like a money haul try feet down guide service your son is free to join me whenever out there josh sonnier is a really straight shooter and will do his best with conditions to price and the day hunt is 150$ great locations I've limited with him every hunt but one this year just pM me if interested