SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-10-2015, 02:49 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 7
Default Elmer's Island

Might be heading out to Elmer's tonight or tomorrow. Was there last Friday and we caught some nice whiting until I decided to see if I'd get lucky and hook a nice bull red, used tips I received from my Holly Beach Post (Special thanks to MathGeek) except I used fresh whiting (on a store brought pompano rig, with a 4 ounce pyramid sinker on the bottom and opted to use a circle hook), and hooked up on what felt like a huge fish unfortunately my 20 lbs mono line didn't do a damn thing to help me, as it snapped on the fish's first run. Since I've partially respooled with 65 lbs braided line, hopefully will get different results this time. Any tips on night fishing the surf? I read wading into the water is considerably more dangerous because larger predatory fish more into the shallows to feed.... is wading in at Elmer's worth the risk, is there any real risk at all? All responses are appreciated!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Sand Trout

Also special thanks to @Duckman1911

Old 07-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

I may be wrong, but it may be closed at night. I would for sure check before going though.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:09 PM
Flounder

Cash: 504

The sign says the gates close after dark, never stuck around to confirm tho
Old 07-10-2015, 04:47 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Why did you "partially respool" with 65lb braid? You have 65lb braid with 20lb under it?

I don't think there is any real danger of wade fishing. If I see a really big shark (5' or longer) I may get out the water or move down the beach but they usually don't bother you.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:20 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

I would not wade at night past my knees. we used to string lights out in the surf at night on fourchon. I'm sot scared of much ,but i saw some things swimming in them lights that made me stop going over knee deep.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:03 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

There are some really big skarks in dem waters.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:28 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 671

Elmer's island closed at night. Go to the park and fish the pier or you can pass over the berm at Bridge Side and fish in the dark on the beach if you insist. You'd be asking to be an unusual statistic wade fishing the surf at night. That's just plain nuts.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:30 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 671
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
I would not wade at night past my knees. we used to string lights out in the surf at night on fourchon. I'm sot scared of much ,but i saw some things swimming in them lights that made me stop going over knee deep.
Yep.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:52 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 909

We attempted gigging one night and there wasn't a flounder in sight but the crabs where running! We had our lines still out so we went and got some nets and filled up as many containers as we cared to carry with crabs. We probably could have done it in ankle deep water, but, umm well, our lines were in chest deep water. We kept the flounder lights on, saw a few huge fish, maybe grouper, mostly needle fish, eels, jelly fish. Never seen a shark just swimming along the island, but caught plenty of little ones, I prefer removing a blacktip over a hard head any day.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
I'll 2nd that!!
Purty big shadows fo sho!!
Old 07-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Sand Trout

Thanks for all of the info.
@Mako19 yeah there is about 20 - 25 yards of 20 lbs mono under about what I would guess is about a little over or slightly under 200 yards of 65 lbs braid. If that's something that I should not do, then please let me know. I've only been fishing the past 4 going on 5 years now, I'm self taught and most of what I know is the product of countless hours of internet research.... so I'm always willing to take suggestions.

As for night fishing the other night, everything completely fell apart.... so we canceled the trip entirely, which I suppose was ultimately for the best. And thanks to several comments, I will not be venturing out past my ankles at night anywhere I surf fish. I thank all of you for your time and contributions to this thread!

Old 07-12-2015, 03:56 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbitiousWanderer View Post
Thanks for all of the info.
@Mako19 yeah there is about 20 - 25 yards of 20 lbs mono under about what I would guess is about a little over or slightly under 200 yards of 65 lbs braid. If that's something that I should not do, then please let me know. I've only been fishing the past 4 going on 5 years now, I'm self taught and most of what I know is the product of countless hours of internet research.... so I'm always willing to take suggestions.

As for night fishing the other night, everything completely fell apart.... so we canceled the trip entirely, which I suppose was ultimately for the best. And thanks to several comments, I will not be venturing out past my ankles at night anywhere I surf fish. I thank all of you for your time and contributions to this thread!

lots of people put mono backing on a reel befor the braid so it dowesnt dig in to the reel .