SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2017, 07:49 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 959
Eek Copying a 31 Bertram in Quepos Costa Rica

Well it's been about a year since we've done something crazy, so I figured I'm not getting any younger and better get started! I love our Gamefisherman, and almost did a cold molded wood boat, but every tournament i see it's the wood boats, the foam boats, and then a dang 31 foot Bertram up there in the top. I have to see if there is something to this, so if the hull is smooth and raises fish while they are heavy, how much better would they do if we could build one that weighed half! So, I called in a favor and have one month to do what i want with this boat. My friend is headed to Brazil and says I can do as I please, as long as his boat is ready to fish by June first. Sounds like a challenge to me! Here's the boat:

So in typical fashion, as soon as we started to put it on the trailer, we got a torrential rain

But we stuck with it, got soaked and here she is on the trailer!

Earlier today this happened:

That is 60 sheets of 1 inch and .75 inch divinycell. This is going to be fun!

The first goal is to clean this boat up, take all the running gear off, and then we are going to wax it about 6 times, 4 coats of PVA and we want to make a mold of it. Once the mold is done, we have to clean it up, put it together, paint the bottom and the antislip on the floor and give it back to my friend who is in Brazil until the 1st of June.

After i give the boat back we start seeing how we can make one of these things. i don't want to loose the classic lines, I have always felt like this was the 69 camaro of boats. You just can't change it or it looses the magic. So it has to LOOK the same, but I want to make it lighter, faster, and stronger. We are going to do the hull in all 1708 glass, nice vinylester resin, thick bottom, thin sides. All the top side will be built with the diviniyCell coring. Twin cummins 210hp 6BTs for longevity and gas mileage. Lightweight ZF 65A trannys. I'm thinking of building two fuel tanks (One big tank with a division). front part of the tank will be 80 gallons which we always leave full for day trips, and then the back part we will have 220 gallons so if we want to make a run to the FADS we can fill the whole thing up. We are going for AC, a generator, bed up front, couch on the inside. It'll be fun.

Here's the goal:

Here's another cool one, I'll probably stick with the colors above, but this one really caught my eye! I'm not going to do the wood though.

Cool, well that's what I have for today. Monday and Tuesday are Costa Rican holidays, so we are going to hit it on Wednesday and see if we can get this thing ready to copy!