SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs)

The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) Discuss everything related to tackle here, including making your own

Old 04-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275
Default Homemade underwater fishing lights...

Well i was asked in another thread to show some homemade underwater fishing lights that i rigged up to help fill the freezer with sac-a-lait on those summer nights when its to darn hot to fish in the day time.

I looked at similar setups to these online and it seemed like everyone is in agreement that you need to have about 100 led's total in your light for enough lumens to be generated. The point of this was to do this on the cheap vs. paying 200$ for a product made with 10$ in parts.... plus i am a cheapskate.

here are the necessary parts

1 Quart Mason jar with good lid that seals very well.

8 ounces of lead weight

25 feet or so of 14-16 guage insulated wire (your gonna be dunking this whole thing in water so you want to get some decent wire)

5 multiple LED bulb type lights (i used 5 28 led lights, but it seems like the cheapest ones nowadays are the 68 led lights.. you could wire 3 of them for about 200 led lights in one unit.) something like this.

drill and drill bit to drill thru mason jar lid

hot melt glue gun and glue

What you need to do is identify which are the positive and negative sides of each led bulb. once you id this mark the positive side.. as you can see i did this with a plus sign.

After this you need to solder all 3-5 led bulbs together in Parallel (in other words all the positives together and then all the negatives together)

Then solder your electric wire to the positive and negative solders junctions on the bulbs.

Run your wire through the hole you drilled in your mason jar lid (leave some slack on the inside and then hot glue both the hole and wire on the inside and outside of the lid) put alligator clips on the ends of this for attaching to your battery.

Then put some hot melt glue in the bottom of the mason jar, and while its still hot put your weight in there (you dont want it rattling around with your bulbs. )

Put it all together and your ready to go fishing.

I don't have any pictures of it in the water... Next time i use them i will try to remember... but i only use em in summertime... so not anytime soon. The picture below does not do it justice when in the water... also this is the "Green" LED the bright white one is much brighter (but i loaned my white ones to my sac-a-lait fishing buddy and dont have em back yet)

I can tell you that when i use them i use two of them on my boat. one hanging from a cleat in the front of boat and another from cleat in the back. I lower them down about 5-6 feet and they light up an area around 5 ft diameter on each one.

The nice thing about this type of light is that the draw almost no energy, you can run 4-5 of them at a time off 1 12 volt battery for days. Plus they dont get hot so you dont have to keep them submerged.

Hope it helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1789.jpg (37.4 KB, 908 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1791.jpg (37.2 KB, 910 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1793.JPG (232.0 KB, 916 views)
Old 04-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

That's pretty nifty

Spiral Out
Old 04-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Well look at that! Awesome set up! Guessing they work good huh

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 04-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Email Address Not Verified

Cash: 1,005

Looks like I'll be doing arts and crafts Cajun style soon thanks for the tip
Old 04-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

very cool
Old 04-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyPrejean87 View Post
Looks like I'll be doing arts and crafts Cajun style soon thanks for the tip
Comon man... don't call it arts and crafts... you gotta say your gonna Macgyver something and give it some cajun kick..

LOL....
Old 04-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

Does it matter if you use green or white bulbs?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
Does it matter if you use green or white bulbs?
some people say that you attract more with the green light than the white... but honestly i have not noticed a difference...

the white light does seem to be stronger and put out more light than the green leds... plus the green led's are hard to find.. so i would use white.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

that's a great post.

I will make 4 of these because I plan to hang them off of some inshore platforms in PAC about 6-8 ft of water and will put one on each corner and use a motorcycle battery to run them off of.

I might try using a cheap extension cord too so its more durable and less likely to be a problem if the wire gets tugged on.

have you ever tried a regular household LED light bulb? are they as bright as the high intensity plug in LED bulbs or not so much?
Old 04-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,059

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397246012.298276.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397246033.803583.jpg
Here's mine.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
that's a great post.

I will make 4 of these because I plan to hang them off of some inshore platforms in PAC about 6-8 ft of water and will put one on each corner and use a motorcycle battery to run them off of.

I might try using a cheap extension cord too so its more durable and less likely to be a problem if the wire gets tugged on.

have you ever tried a regular household LED light bulb? are they as bright as the high intensity plug in LED bulbs or not so much?
a charged up motorcycle battery would run 4 of these all night and probably then some.

Not sure about the household LED light bulb. most of them are pretty low lumens... but might still work. The LED bulbs that i ordered are definetly not high end stuff...... Cree bulbs are probably 50 times as bright but they cost big money... i just wanted something that would work good enough.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWN FIN View Post
Brown fin, did you make it yourself? did you use some type of led strip light or another type of bulb?
Old 04-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,059

Made it. Magical potion in a tube.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWN FIN View Post
Made it. Magical potion in a tube.
sorry can't hand over the official Macguyver merit badge to you unless you break with teh secrets..
Old 04-13-2014, 09:39 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,112

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397440158.724639.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397440302.498332.jpg

I made these with some led strip lights off eBay, old extension cord, a metal stake for weight, pvc fittings, and clear PVC tube. Probably cost about $10 each, but I had the clear tubing already.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 502

Very clever and a great idea! Gus
Old 05-12-2014, 11:07 AM
Flounder

Cash: 666

I am going to attempt to make some of these. for my first attempt the led strip lights seem easier for me to make. my plan is to wrap a piece of pvc with the led strip then insert that pvc pipe into a clear plastic pipe that has weights at the bottom. i am not sure if this is the correct but next i plan to attach some heavy duty wire or extension cord directly to the wire at the end of the light strip. at this point drill a hole in the top of the cap run the wire through and seal it. on the end of the wire connect my battery clips. am i missing anything. i am not familiar with running lights off of a battery and if i need any type of converters or anything else. thanks in advance
Old 05-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Red Snapper

the led lights have coverters built into the light strips / bulbs.. so you just have to hook em up to get em going..

I chose the bulbs because the LED strips are not as bright but with enough of them i am sure you can do fine.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Flounder

Cash: 666

thanks i didnt realize that they were all built in. I thought the light strips would be brighter shows what i know. I will have to give this a try. thanks. I was worried about the bulbs having to have a ballast or something. I also didnt know about heat shrink. thanks again
Old 05-13-2014, 10:50 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Sweet lights! I like the idea of the PVC tube. Wonder if you could use the bulbs in a tube like that? Also wonder how well they'd work in salt water???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk