SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 03-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Well, I drank the kool-aid and just ordered one on-line! Shhhh, don't tell my wife!
They expensive but you won't regret it.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Just wonderin'...........

Is it the norm nowadays to hunt turkeys from a stand-up blind overlookin' a food source with a shotgun? I'm not tryin' to minimize your success 'cause there's nothin' more excitin' than seein' a gobbler layin' flat of his back with his spurs flappin' in the wind, but, weren't these blinds designed for bow hunters?

Just sayin'.........
Old 03-26-2013, 12:02 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

What???^

When you have two grown men, or a man and a child, you better have a blind or take your chances of watching him run off before getting into range. I like to "run & gun" sometimes putting in miles to get a bird, but some times if I have a bird pegged and he is hened up in a food plot for a few days, you can bet I will set up on him!!! If I'm by myself, I will go without the blind, but if I have a kid or client and feel the cover is too thin, I would use one!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
What???^

When you have two grown men, or a man and a child, you better have a blind or take your chances of watching him run off before getting into range. I like to "run & gun" sometimes putting in miles to get a bird, but some times if I have a bird pegged and he is hened up in a food plot for a few days, you can bet I will set up on him!!! If I'm by myself, I will go without the blind, but if I have a kid or client and feel the cover is too thin, I would use one!
Ain't that what the sport is all about? I used a blind like that once, but, there were three of us. One dude had a video camera and the other a bow.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:36 PM
Red Snapper

Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Just wonderin'...........

Is it the norm nowadays to hunt turkeys from a stand-up blind overlookin' a food source with a shotgun? I'm not tryin' to minimize your success 'cause there's nothin' more excitin' than seein' a gobbler layin' flat of his back with his spurs flappin' in the wind, but, weren't these blinds designed for bow hunters?

Just sayin'.........
I don't know what the norm is. I can only tell you what I do. I've been hunting this property for goin on 5 years now and have tried to Run and Gun it several times with minimal success. It's always been better to setup in a blind where u can get comfortable and wait for a bird that isn't hen'd up. Get him nice and fired up and then watch him put on a show. Of course a "true sportsman" sits on the ground and slays his turkeys. If it makes you feel any better I shot one that afternoon sitting on the ground in my vest. I didn't feel any more accomplished than the one from that morning. If it was legal I'd put a sack of corn down and hunt it. Good luck, Mr. King of the Spring.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
I don't know what the norm is. I can only tell you what I do. I've been hunting this property for goin on 5 years now and have tried to Run and Gun it several times with minimal success. It's always been better to setup in a blind where u can get comfortable and wait for a bird that isn't hen'd up. Get him nice and fired up and then watch him put on a show. Of course a "true sportsman" sits on the ground and slays his turkeys. If it makes you feel any better I shot one that afternoon sitting on the ground in my vest. I didn't feel any more accomplished than the one from that morning. If it was legal I'd put a sack of corn down and hunt it. Good luck, King of the Spring.

No need to get all riled up. I think it was a legit question and one that was not intended to flame you. If you feel good doin' it...go for it.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
No need to get all riled up. I think it was a legit question and one that was not intended to flame you. If you feel good doin' it...go for it.
I don't get mad at anything that's said on here because its the Internet. I know there's people on here who get infuriated about what other people say and they genuinely HATE those people. There's people on here who hate me I'm sure. But I don't take any of this seriously, so I find most of it funny. If you wanna slam everyone of my reports I couldn't care less, but you'll probably get some sarcasm in return.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Next time we find birds roosted next to a food plot we should just hunt the short pines on the other side of the property. Or a clearcut where there's sure to be some roosted! Isn't that part of the sport. Scout, locate birds, find where they're roosting, set up on them in the morning?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Great White

Quote:
I don't get mad at anything that's said on here because its the Internet. I know there's people on here who get infuriated about what other people say and they genuinely HATE those people. There's people on here who hate me I'm sure. But I don't take any of this seriously, so I find most of it funny. If you wanna slam everyone of my reports I couldn't care less, but you'll probably get some sarcasm in return.
Like I stated twice already....I'm not slammin' your report.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Next time we find birds roosted next to a food plot we should just hunt the short pines on the other side of the property. Or a clearcut where there's sure to be some roosted! Isn't that part of the sport. Scout, locate birds, find where they're roosting, set up on them in the morning?
No, no, no. If you don't crawl through the weeds for 3 days Carlos Hathcock style, and shoot one within 10' with a slingshot, you're just not a real turkey hunter.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

TK and Mike never use a blind to Turkey hunt !!!! Just pull back and hold "if you any kind of man"
Old 03-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
TK and Mike never use a blind to Turkey hunt !!!! Just pull back and hold "if you any kind of man"
Haha TK and Mike. I haven't heard those names in a long time!
Old 03-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
No, no, no. If you don't crawl through the weeds for 3 days Carlos Hathcock style, and shoot one within 10' with a slingshot, you're just not a real turkey hunter.
That's ole "Dances with wolves"
Old 03-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Like I stated twice already....I'm not slammin' your report.
I honestly don't care, I'm just having some fun.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
That's ole "Dances with wolves"
That's Ol' "Grand Slam Salty".
Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Great White

Quote:
That's Ol' "Grand Slam Salty".
Naw, no slam for me. Maybe if Id'a had one of them blinds?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Swordfish

Just ride the prairie one his tatonka smokin turkeys wit his tomahawk.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Just ride the prairie one his tatonka smokin turkeys wit his tomahawk.
That's after he scalped a tribe of Pawnee tryin to potlick fertile food plotted hunting lands with teepee shaped ground blinds.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

I've always wanted to turkey hunt i just don't even know where to begin. I was told that not even 50 specklebellies locked up working comes close to the feeling of calling in a gobbler and watching him strut.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKGOGETTER View Post
I've always wanted to turkey hunt i just don't even know where to begin. I was told that not even 50 specklebellies locked up working comes close to the feeling of calling in a gobbler and watching him strut.
Don't know about the geese, but, there are few sights (and sounds) that compare to that drum roll.