SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-13-2015, 11:38 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,856
Default What Gives

As I read the few teal reports it brings up an issue that grinds my gears a bit. I would like everyone's opinion on this; Why is it that some, not all duck hunters gauge a successful hunt based on the time they killed a limit by? I can't understand why someone would consider a hunt as being slow if a limit wasn't killed by 8:00 am., and if limit comes up short by 3-4 birds, OMG it was horrible, are these hunters really that spoiled? Doesn't anyone just enjoy being able to hunt and enjoy the outdoors anymore. Not wanting to start any arguments, just trying to get opinions.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:55 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

I've always thought the same thing. I'll tell you this, I prefer the hunt to last several hours. Not end at 6:45am. Especially during big duck season. I prefer to have a group of birds come in every 10 min or so. My whole enjoyment of duck hunting is being out there in nature, shooting the bull with my friends. But for teal season you kinda have to get em while you can because sometimes the birds shut down early.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:45 PM
Trophy Trout

Totally agree about the teal..
Old 09-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

I like to shoot ducks but I love to work ducks then shoot them. Saturday am we didn't have many workable birds early and the ones we did have we're pulling up short. This frustrated me more than not killing birds. We had only 2 birds @ 8:00 am when we re-arranged the decoys. Shortly after the "halftime adjustment" we had 3 work the new setup like it was their job. They responded to the call came in cupped up and fluttered over the decoys. After dropping all 3 I said "Well that made my day" after that everything else was lagniappe. We ended up with 9 and it was a good hunt with good friends and some birds that worked great after the halftime adjustment.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:52 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

I just love being out there with good friends weather we kill a limit or just a few it's all about being in the outdoors and relaxing. To me that very reason you are talking about is why duck hunting is going to **** because everyone just wants to kill limits and not enjoy the experience for what it's really about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2015, 01:02 PM
Trophy Trout

Thanks Quackhead, my thoughts exactly.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:16 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackhead62 View Post
I just love being out there with good friends weather we kill a limit or just a few it's all about being in the outdoors and relaxing. To me that very reason you are talking about is why duck hunting is going to **** because everyone just wants to kill limits and not enjoy the experience for what it's really about.

This the reason we hunt and how I was raised; or at least how it supposed to be. I intend to be sure my son's learns the same values.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Trophy Trout

I guess I appreciate it more, my step dad introduced me to duck hunting at a young age, I guess I was in 3rd grade, and I remember vividly him picking me up early at school on Fridays, and heading out to the houseboat which was in Charenton and spending the entire weekend hunting, fishing and whatever. After a few short years he and my mother divorced and I didn't get to hunt much until I was much older, late teens, but the desire to be out there was always present, the sights, sounds, cold morning sunrises, the smells of the swamp, marsh, or where ever we were hunting. Suppose some people don't appreciate that...
Old 09-13-2015, 01:22 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,686
Default What Gives

I'm not a duck hunter. I love to shoot doves and I bow hunt allot. I have a few opportunities every year to hunt some great blinds with friends. A hero shot with limits of ducks is cool but a pot full of ducks and time with friends is def more important to me.

I had a chance to hunt with a really good friend and his dad who I don't see much anymore this morning. Yesterday they had more people and limited out.
Today it was just us three and we only killed 3 ducks. My German shorthair pointer made her first retrieve on a wounded bird across the pond. I would have prob not got that duck. I got to spend time with friends. I probably had just as good a time as anyone else who hunted this am. Yeah wish I would have some teal in the black pot outside but the chili we are cooking will be good and plenty more time to get some ducks for the table.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:51 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfreak View Post
As I read the few teal reports it brings up an issue that grinds my gears a bit. I would like everyone's opinion on this; Why is it that some, not all duck hunters gauge a successful hunt based on the time they killed a limit by? I can't understand why someone would consider a hunt as being slow if a limit wasn't killed by 8:00 am., and if limit comes up short by 3-4 birds, OMG it was horrible, are these hunters really that spoiled? Doesn't anyone just enjoy being able to hunt and enjoy the outdoors anymore. Not wanting to start any arguments, just trying to get opinions.
This is why i try not to fish w/ a guide . Some go out and catch limits by 7:30 -8:30 and they are done . i know there job is to put me on a limit of fish but the last guide i fished w/ fished 2 hrs we caught a limit and he was headed for the dock . not did we want to try for other species not do y'all want to see some of the area . he was cleaning fish by 8 am. $600 just seems a bit steep for 2 hrs of his time. I would rather spend a full day catching a few here and there w/ good company and enjoying Gods outdoors than 25 trout in 30 cast any day.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:17 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061

It just means the action was fast. Of course I could always stay out there and just watch birds decoy but I was done drinking coffee at 7 this morning with limits.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:26 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,211

You wanna have a good time with your buddies go to the bowling alley. I go hunting/fishing to rape the resources
7:30 or bust
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442172315.482373.jpg
Old 09-13-2015, 05:34 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacha View Post
This the reason we hunt and how I was raised; or at least how it supposed to be. I intend to be sure my son's learns the same values.

I like how you think.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:23 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,810

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotLikinisAhabbit View Post
You wanna have a good time with your buddies go to the bowling alley. I go hunting/fishing to rape the resources
Attachment 95221
x 2...
Old 09-13-2015, 08:30 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Attachment 95221
Dude, come on "Raping Resources" is soooo 1920 era market hunting, we "Harvest" our game now.

Right after we shoot them in the face.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

I enjoy limiting out early, especially days I hunt before work. But all the work I put in is worth much more than 15 to 20 minutes of my time. Yesterday we had limits before 7am. Today was a very slow start...cloud cover vs clear blue skies really changes things and that's where experience comes in and you have to adapt. At 7am today we had 1 bird...I decided to take a few minutes to make adjustments. Changed up the decoys and switched up my calling and we had our 12 teal by 8 am. To me it's more about the challenge of the hunt. My wife hunted with me today, had probably 20 birds+ land in the decoys. That is success to me. I enjoy the concept of "hunting ". I feel way better about shooting a bird that lands after being tricked vs a bird that buzzes the blind. To me it's more about the hunt, not so much about the kill...although I like to finish a limit, and the same goes for fishing. If I can catch 5 solids on top vs a limit of small trout my day is made. Heading out again in the morning...it's gonna be about time spent in t h e blind tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

i'm getting old. i've shot plenty ducks over the years. now i just load my gun and prop it up in the corner of the blind and enjoy being with my friends. every now and then i shoot, it just isn't a big deal anymore.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:02 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Attachment 95221
Good times on the reg, full limits on the reg..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1442235730369.jpg (13.5 KB, 395 views)
Old 09-15-2015, 03:28 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061

I totally agree. I only shoot at birds that have fully committed to decoys. I really don't like passing shots. Best is to let them land, flush, then shoot.

And of course the epitome is specs with feet down 20 yards.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:37 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,577

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442349383.497433.jpg

Only shot 1 teal between four people....but we still had a great time! Hunting, not killing.

Busted up those great white fronted pilsners.