SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 11-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542
Default Gun Refurb Question

I recently received an early inheritance from my wifes grandfather. It's a 1959 Browning Superposed O/U 12ga shotgun (2 barrel set). He said he was going to give it to my wife's dad to pass down to my little boy, but he knew he would sell it for a quick buck. He gave it to me with the stipulation that I keep never sell it. The receiver and one barrel set is in great mechanical condition. The other barrel set's forend does not slide over the ejector like it should which makes the top ejector stick out and stops the gun from closing.

As far as finish goes it could be worse. You can tell it was a field gun and wasn't cleaned the last few times it was shot. The bluing on the barrels have a few scratches on it and no rust that I can see. I believe it is a Grade 1 based on the engraving, but I've seen different grades with different finishes on the receiver. The finish on the receiver has worn off substantially.

I plan on bringing it to a professional for a proper cleaning and getting the ejector fixed. I was thinking about having it completley refurbished for my son and have asked 2 guys I know that have experience with Superposeds. One told me to get it redone and the other told me to have the trigger goldplating redone and leave it the way it is. I'm not sure if having it refurbished would be worth the hefty bill, but it would be nice to give it to my son as nice as it was the day his Papa bought it. I'll post pictures of it in a minute.

I'm just curious what y'alls thoughts are on it, and can anyone point me in the direction of a reputable professional to bring it to?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Ling

It's not the best picture. I'll try and get more detailed pictures later tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353540882.282441.jpg (61.9 KB, 95 views)
Old 11-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Dude, I would do some insane things for a gun with that history.......
I say get it fixed, but leave it original.

there is something to be said of a gun when you ancestors put the charactor in it.....
My sixteen year old is starting to really appreciate the wearing on some of my things and it is heartwarming to say the least.....

Get it working and leave the rest to good cleaning and oiling
Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

I've got my two grand fathers old guns and had one K-coted because it was starting to rust when I got it. The others just got a cleaning by a gun smith then put up.

Now I have a J. Stevens Arms Model 235 12 gauge that the internet says is worth approx $50 bucks, but is pretty much priceless to me. It is my Great Great Grand Paw's. They were made from 1912-1932, except years 1916-1920. I say just clean it up really good and keep it oiled up til your son can appreciate the history of the gun.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

I'd be willing to have myself and, my team take part in refinishing the stock if you want to go that route. My dad has done some great things with gun stocks.

Regardless of what you do with it, it's an amazing heirloom!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Ling

Thanks southern. If I decide to refurb it I will definitely keep you in mind.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Leave it alone!!!!!!