SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 12-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926
Default 308

Can you shoot7.62/51 NATO rounds out of a Mossberg .308? Know they say don't shoot the .308 in the m14! Cause it could go full auto when you rack it.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:33 AM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

believe me if it was possible for a M14 to go full auto if you shot .308 instead of nato rounds in it, it would get recalled and the production company would probably go under! that isn't true. Now nato rounds should work with a .308 in mossberg but I'd check with the manufacture, the owners manual doesn't say anything about shooting Nato rounds just mentions that it void warranty to use hand loads, non saami rounds or anything the gun isn't chambered in. I'd call mossberg on that one! just some added information, a lot of .308 made in USA for hunting is better then Nato rounds, it cost more but its made to put down large game. also Nato is usually FMJ, not good to hunt with. good for target ammo and stock piling in case of zombie apocalypse!
Old 12-25-2012, 01:51 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Its a Springfield m14. And have read 3 cases where they went full auto as soon as theywere racked. And it has something to do with the primer in the .308 verses the 7.62/51???? Got my newfue the 308 Mossberg with the adjustable stock. Haven't had a chance to read about it or call. Yet. Thanks for the input
Old 12-25-2012, 03:29 AM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

the only difference with the primer is the nato rounds primer is crimped! now a M14 is a military rifle I'm guessing your talking about a M1A and its headspaced for both, and they do have a full auto model. BTW can you show me a Youtube video of this or an actual case of a M14 or M1A going full auto when its semi auto with a Nato round? because if this does happen (which I'm not saying its not possible) thousands of people with springfield M1A's need to be made aware.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Flounder

Cash: 667

There is more than just crimped in. The 7.62 has a stiffer primer body for rougher handling and some weapons that have floating firing pins, and the .308 has your standard large rifle primer. It's the same with .223 and 5.56, a primer for a ar with floating pin should be mil spec such as Remington #7 1/2 primers. That could be the issue with the M14 going auto with soft primer .308's in some rifles.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:07 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

ive shot over a 1000 rounds of 7.62 out of all my 308 ar-10's with zero problems. some manufactures say dont shoot the steel cases but i do and havent had a problem. i know others who put plenty of 7.62's out of 308 chambers with zero problems. i researched it before i bought my first brick of cheap ammo and everyone said it was fine. how much you plan on shooting out of that bolt gun? if you are just wanting to shoot something cheap to plink around with get some remington 308 coreloks. they are 18 bucks a box and will put a hurting of any animal in the woods.