SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 02-18-2016, 11:07 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 452
Default Calcasieu new guy

I'm fairly new to fishing the Calcasieu River. Fished it pretty heavy this past summer and did well. Usually launch at Theriot Rd but have fished with buddy near White Oak park launch in the past. I've been tuned into the forum for little while now but haven't chimed in much as of yet.

Fished Calcasieu yesterday with NO luck at all. Started at mouth of west fork headed west, then near 171 bridge, watermelon bay and back up the west fork. We threw everything we had at em and nothing.. Read the recent posts and we fished with what you guys said was catching fish. Not sure what we did or didn't do right, lol.

Any advice for a new guy is welcome.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:25 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,577

My luck is mostly off of the main river. Any cuts or bays where you can get off of the main river. Jigs with trailer, buzz baits, white spinner bait and soft plastics usually work best for me. Trying to find clean'ish water is pretty key. Also looking for shad will usually put you on them. If the water is moving, typically I find the fish on the downside of the structure waiting to capitalize on bait swimming by. Of course grass mats and lay downs are important. That's my 2 cents. There are tons of ways though.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,425

I'd love to hear some more pointers for around white oak as well.

As far as Westfork area goes I've done well with small jigs, wacky worm, brush hogs, and squarebills. But there are some areas where I have just never caught a single fish.

Houston River area with little jigs, 4" lizards, lil'critter craws. Hit every single piece of cover multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2016, 06:40 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,063

Headed to white oak this morn. Will hit some spots around there and make my way towards mossbluff bay at some point. I plan on throwing speed crawls and Berkley Havocs punching floating turf. Spinner baits and jigs and square bills are doing great right now too. Early in the morning with it being cooler. I'll go a little slower. Staying in the bottom. As the morning progresses I'll pick up the spinner bait and the square bill. Water is getting warm but moving slower in the morning and faster with the bait as the day goes seemed to help. Just for now with the cool mornings.
Do at Duffy said and hit the cuts and bays. The fish are on the main river but since we have had an abnormal spring and water temps are already in the 60's by afternoon those fish have moved up into cuts and looking for places to lay eggs.
West fork is a little different. But I would imagine hit the few cuts off of it. I know pitching docks is good right now. Crank baits are doing very well over there right now.

Good luck.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:49 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,700

I fish the river a lot from west fork to north of white oak, usually west fork this time of year, north during summer, and south in fall/winter, it is about fishing it a lot and learning the holes, not a spot to just go beat banks and catch fish, I like chartruse/black crankbaits, black/red,redbug,green pumpkin,ect. flipping baits, black/blue jig this time of year, summer time look no further than a med size buzz bait (not anyone works), small frogs , humdinger, and small flipping baits
Old 02-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,160

Myself and forum member Gutwrench are going to give the Calcasieu a shot on Sunday morning, 2/21.
I haven't been out there in at least 12 years. Looking forward to it. Will launch at White Oak. I'm dying to try some wacky worming out there.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,063

Went today. Very tough. Tournament all weekend for the high school kids. River was packed today and will be packed all weekend. Caught 6 fish. All over 1.5lbs. Biggest almost 2.5lbs. Caught 3 on crankbaits and 3 punching grass mats. Man there is so much grass. We didn't get any good freezes this yr. to kill off the grass like normal. Missed several others punching grass.
Good luck this weekend.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:46 PM
Sand Trout

Thanks for all of the input guys. I plan on hitting the river again tomorrow and will try some of these. Thanks for the update meat killer 86.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:09 PM
Sand Trout

Caught 3 small fellas today, better than not catching...

Alot of boats out today for high school tournament. Lil over 8 pounder was caught in Watermelon bay by winning team.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:05 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,700

we fished high school tourney, worst tournament Ive ever experienced on my part, caught 2 small keepers for 3 pounds and a 27 inch red fish, I fish the river more than all the teams except 3 or 4 , just couldn't get it done, only had 3 keeper bites compared to SOP last weekend having over 10 and and lost some