SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 04-19-2016, 08:28 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
I use 40-50 pound stren braid with a 4' leader of 20 pound red label for flippin wood.Use a alberto knot for the knot. Can't stand the coil of heavy straight floro on a reel. Been using this setup the last 3 years never had an issue. When punching grass I use 70 pound daiwa samari braid straight. It's expensive but I only spool about 40 yards on a reel.
I use the alberto on all my spinning gear and tie fluoro to braid, but I've always been afraid of the knot catching on stuff if I was to flip with it.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:43 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
I use the alberto on all my spinning gear and tie fluoro to braid, but I've always been afraid of the knot catching on stuff if I was to flip with it.
I was not too confident in that setup at first. But after catching countless fish with it I don't worry about it. Even caught a 4' alligator gar and line didn't break. Several bassmaster pros use the same setup.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:52 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,160

Where is a good place to buy tungsten sinkers? Wondering if anyone has a favorite website or store, price wise.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:57 AM
Great White

Forgot to mention.....when using the braid to floro setup I use a medium fast action rod. Anything heavier is overkill IMO.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:58 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Boo View Post
Where is a good place to buy tungsten sinkers? Wondering if anyone has a favorite website or store, price wise.
These are the ones I use....not the cheapest but they are high quality.

https://www.hawgtech.com/tungsten-weights
Old 04-19-2016, 10:43 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 997

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Boo View Post
I've never used the Hawgtechs to know if this is a concern with them or not ... but I have had trouble threading braid though some inserts depending on size of line, weight being used, and brand. Especially if the end of the line isn't cut super clean. Also have had inserts come out after a couple of uses. Don't know if these do that or not and the openings look of decent size.

These have served me well for the last couple of years. No inserts and clean insides not to fray line. Also large openings make rigging easy and fast if you have to retie in a hurry. Not to mention if you hit the $50 mark shipping is free. With their large selection of lures its usually pretty easy ...

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Picas...page-PTFW.html
Old 04-19-2016, 11:10 AM
Redfish

Cash: 883

I also order from Tackle Warehouse, but I get the Vike brand weights, paycheck punch stops and punch skirts, and both pit boss and D bombs. I also sleeve all my weights with shrink tubing to protect line from any imperfections inside the weight. If you need to know how look up the video of Aaron Martins showing how to add inserts to tungsten weights.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:06 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnla View Post
I also sleeve all my weights with shrink tubing to protect line from any imperfections inside the weight. If you need to know how look up the video of Aaron Martins showing how to add inserts to tungsten weights.
I use those I listed to avoid the extra steps of prepping gear. I'm all about keeping it simple and fast with least head ach as possible. Ive never had line get frayed from these to make me think I need to add the inserts. I did have some years ago that I would have needed to do what your talking about due to them being so rough. That's why I switched brands.

If your worried about the weight slamming the top of your hook eye and cutting the line on the set ( rare but usually from 1.5 + weight ) ... slide a stop on behind the weight to protect the knot. Quick and easy. Your plastic will still slides partially over it and with the cup section of large weights it counter sinks like its not even there still allowing your weight to sit flush as one with the plastic.

These grip really well and rarely get cut by braid or pop off during the day. A littler larger diameter than most as well. If I use above 1.5 oz. and in really heavy cover I slide 2 on then my weight and then 1 behind. Takes but a second to rig and if one does happen to get cut then theres already another there not to force a retie. Also helps this way for when really heavy close to 2oz. not to have to keep sliding stops back down to keep weight tight pegged with the 2 in place.

In any case ... theres no right or wrong. Just ideas and what works best for you is best to stick with.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/6th_S...age-6SPEG.html
Old 04-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,160

Thanks to all
Old 04-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
I was not too confident in that setup at first. But after catching countless fish with it I don't worry about it. Even caught a 4' alligator gar and line didn't break. Several bassmaster pros use the same setup.
Yea it's a great knot for sure. I've never broke it on any of my spinning rigs before. I'm sure it works fine, I just don't think I could trust it trying to cross one's eyes setting the hook flipping lol.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:34 PM
Tripletail

As far as weights I've tried eco pro and strike kings. I like the SK and use the peg its to peg the weight. Never had any problems with either and they have big enough holes to thread any type of line and the rubber stoppers through
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Top_B...page-TBPI.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Strik...age-SKTGT.html

I've never really needed anything heavier than 1-1/4 oz. That's as high as SK tour grades go. T-Boo I know the academy brand H20 express sells tungsten cheaper than most but never tried them.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:39 PM
Tripletail

BTW if you guys have an account with Tackle warehouse here's a good little tip. I've had one for about 3 years now, and if you share a computer with your significant other, LOG OUT after you order. It lists all your previous orders plain as day. If they go back through and tally up how much you've spent... it's downhill from there. Trust me.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:05 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 728

Quote:
BTW if you guys have an account with Tackle warehouse here's a good little tip. I've had one for about 3 years now, and if you share a computer with your significant other, LOG OUT after you order. It lists all your previous orders plain as day. If they go back through and tally up how much you've spent... it's downhill from there. Trust me.

Hahaha
Old 04-19-2016, 02:12 PM
Tripletail

Quote:

This wins as tip of the day hands down !!!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:22 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,541
Default Tungstens

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-boo View Post
where's the best place to buy tungsten weights? Those suckers are expensive.
t-boo i buy mine on ebay from a guy in centerville. Look for kajun boss lures. I get 5- 1oz weights for $24 with no shipping. Also look for cobra flipping hooks on ebay.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,024

I too buy most of my tungsten from tackle warehouse. The strike kings are fine and are sold at academy too. Don't forget your bobber stops. I don't know how I fished for years without them. Those are not sold at academy. As far as baits I am a zoom guy usually. I like the rage craw but I find the flippers get ripped off. For zoom I have had success with the speed crawls, and lately the new z hawg. I was having some issues with line twist on my 20lb floro with the z hawgs but I'm not sure if it was the straight shank hook not sitting right or the coiled up line (sea gar red label). Gonna switch to the new sun line pitching or sea gar pitching floor once I'm out. I honestly have had good success with 20lb floro. I don't see much need to go heavier unless Im fishing braid in the jungle, in which case I usually go 50lb. Might try the 65lb but again I have no line breakage with either.