SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 04-20-2016, 09:23 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,024
Default Pitching rods?

After viewing the thread on pitching baits I thought I would ask about what rods you other guys were fishing with. Pitching is one of the biggest aspects of my bass fishing game and I have been looking at getting one or two new rods. I have always just repurposed rods for pitching, using 7' heavy fast, or med/heavy 6'9-7' rods. I know I should be using something more dedicated. I was looking at the castaway skeleton 7'8"heavy pitching rod and I'm open to suggestions. I want a rod with more of a moderate tip for accuracy. I have had great luck with kistlers but I'm not wanting to spend 300 plus right now. Its primarily gonna be a pitching rod.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:13 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy123 View Post
After viewing the thread on pitching baits I thought I would ask about what rods you other guys were fishing with. Pitching is one of the biggest aspects of my bass fishing game and I have been looking at getting one or two new rods. I have always just repurposed rods for pitching, using 7' heavy fast, or med/heavy 6'9-7' rods. I know I should be using something more dedicated. I was looking at the castaway skeleton 7'8"heavy pitching rod and I'm open to suggestions. I want a rod with more of a moderate tip for accuracy. I have had great luck with kistlers but I'm not wanting to spend 300 plus right now. Its primarily gonna be a pitching rod.
I wouldn't go with anything longer than the 7'8 you're talking about unless you're wanting to just punch grass. Those long rods are hard to maneuver if you're in close quarters. I usually only use abu rods but my brother got us both a 7'8 okuma for big swimbaits and I actually started using it to flip anything heavier than 1/2 oz. It's a frigin broom stick, but until I flipped and did nothing else for a full day 2 weeks ago with it, I didn't realize how heavy it was. My wrist was killing me. I've got a 7'3 heavy action vendetta that works great that I'll switch back to next time I go. And they're only 80 bucks
Old 04-20-2016, 01:40 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 997

So far I have used Dobyns Champs., Zillion Gen 1's , A couple of Loomis (on their lower end) , and Cumaras (red and black) . So far these 2 have stayed the longest in my line up. The Dobyns Champs were a close second with roughly the same balance just slightly less sensitive.

Powell Max 3D 806 for 1-1/4 + weight.

Powell Endurance 795 3/8 to 1-1/4 weight. (also A-Rig and matted grass frog with this rod )

The added length can be cumbersome as mentioned. However the longer rods move a lot of line on the set (makes up for moderate taper give) and at close quarters gives a higher pull point to get fish out the slop instead of pulling more level. When close to the boat it seems to help with fish control if the try run under it and seems to just control them easier in general with faster line movement in my opinion. When punching or pitching things happen fast ... Ive set the hook and them come poping out the slop and land in open water a few feet from the boat and then go darting off fast ! I find I need all the line and fish control I can get. That's with 9.1:1 and 7.9:1 reels managing slack.

Main reason it think I like these so much is the balance on them is great for 7'9" + rods. Ive fished A LOT of 7'3"-7'5"s that didnt balance as well as these and was rough on the wrist. Also the tapers seem to be just right. Despite their ratings of fast they fish more so like mod/med fast. Which seems to work great for pitch/punch.

Im sure there are better rods out there but so far these are doing great ! Not to mention in the last 2 years I've leaned on them REALLY hard. Sometimes over doing it with braid and yet to have a failure.

Last edited by jpd0144; 04-20-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:02 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
I wouldn't go with anything longer than the 7'8 you're talking about unless you're wanting to just punch grass. Those long rods are hard to maneuver if you're in close quarters. I usually only use abu rods but my brother got us both a 7'8 okuma for big swimbaits and I actually started using it to flip anything heavier than 1/2 oz. It's a frigin broom stick, but until I flipped and did nothing else for a full day 2 weeks ago with it, I didn't realize how heavy it was. My wrist was killing me. I've got a 7'3 heavy action vendetta that works great that I'll switch back to next time I go. And they're only 80 bucks
That is something to consider. I have never fished with anything much over 7'. I do think the skeletons are a little on the lighter side of rods however.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:03 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd0144 View Post
So far I have used Dobyns Champs., Zillion Gen 1's , A couple of Loomis (on their lower end) , and Cumaras (red and black) . So far these 2 have stayed the longest in my line up.

Powell Max 3D 806 for 1-1/4 + weight.

Powell Endurance 795 3/8 to 1-1/4 weight. (also A-Rig and matted grass frog with this rod )

The added length can be cumbersome as mentioned. However the longer rods move a lot of line on the set (makes up for moderate taper give) and at close quarters gives a higher pull point to get fish out the slop instead of pulling more level. When close to the boat it seems to helps with fish control if the try run under it and seems to just control them easier in general in my opinion. When punching or pitching things happen fast ... Ive set the hook and them come poping out the slop and land in open water a few feet from the boat and the go darting off fast ! I find I need all the line and fish control I can get. That's with 9.1:1 and 7.9:1 reels managing slack.

Main reason it think I like these is the balance on them is great. They not killing me when at it all day and the tapers seem to be just right to me. Despite their ratings they fish like mod/med fast than fast. Which seems to work great for pitch/punch.

Im sure there are better rods out there but so far these are doing great ! Not to mention in the last 2 years I've leaned on them REALLY hard. Sometimes over doing it with braid and yet to have a failure.
I've heard great things about both brands. Is there a dealer in Louisiana?
Old 04-20-2016, 02:39 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy123 View Post
I've heard great things about both brands. Is there a dealer in Louisiana?
Unfortunately not for Powell ...

Ive used them on and off for years so I have gotten somewhat use to their ratings. So when I order I sorta know what im getting in before it arrives. I find each companys ratings slightly differ.

I use to shop for the cheapest place to buy rods and when they were not what I expected or wanted for that technique I was just stuck with it or sold it for a loss. Now I go in paying full price at Tackle Warehouse.
When It arrives I wont even take the tags off. If the power or taper don't seem right I stick it right back in the tube and slap the enclosed UPS label they provide on it. I get to send it back at no cost to me for a full refund or exchange.
Just recently I discovered they actually let you fish it for 30 days where you can get on water time with it. As long as it is still in tact and noting bent or soiled heavily they take it back just the same.
I suggest for a rod or brand you have never fished to shop at a place like TW who will work with you till you get what your looking for. That way your not shipping back and fourth costing you money or having to be stuck with a rod you don't like and selling for a loss.

Good luck in your search !
Old 04-20-2016, 02:45 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd0144 View Post
Unfortunately not for Powell ...

Ive used them on and off for years so I have gotten somewhat use to their ratings. I find each companys ratings slightly differ.
So when I order I sorta know what im getting in before it arrives.

I use to shop for the cheapest place to buy rods and when they were not what I expected or wanted for that technique I was just stuck with it or sold it for a loss. Now I go in paying full price at TW. When It arrives I wont even take the tags off. If the power or taper don't seem right I stick it right back in the tube and slap the enclosed UPS label they provide on it and get to send it back at no cost and a full refund or exchange.
Just recently I discovered they actually let you fish it for 30 days where you can get on water time with it. As long as it is still in tact and noting bent or soiled heavily they take it back just the same.
I suggest for a rod or brand you have never fished to shop at a place as TW who will work with you till you get what your looking. That way your not shipping back and fourth costing you money or having to be stuck with a rod you don't like and selling for a loss.

Good luck in your search !
I've been a TW customer for a while. I always ordered my kistlers direct or bought used however. It's good to know that TW will work with you on rod exchanges though.