SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > Offroad Forum (4x4 & ATV)

Offroad Forum (4x4 & ATV) Discuss anything to do with offroad sports here, including ATVs, mudding in your truck, etc.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534
Default Timing issue

Anyone have any knowledge on a 1997 chevrolet 1500 ??

Just put a new motor in my truck about 4-6 months or so ago. Ran fine until last month. Brought it to a shop and they said I had a cracked distributor. Bought a new one and installed it and it ran perfect. No miss, no hickups, nothing...

Last night on my way home, was driving down the road and the truck just stopped... Lost power to motor only. All electrical was working.. lights, radio, etc..... Tried to crank it and it sounded like it was off time. It was on time when I brought it to the shop last week...... Any idea on what would cause it to "jump time" ?? Everything was tightened down.... Truck has new plugs, wires and distributor.....

Any and all suggestions would help....

TIA
Old 02-22-2014, 04:00 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Had basically the same thing happen to our mud boat. It was running great and them started losing power and running rough. One of the boots on the wires wasn't seated good on the plug and fell off. Popped the wire back on and ran good again. Hopefully it's something this simple for you.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:00 PM
Flounder

Cash: 663

put crank shaft to tdc to the zero take cap off see where rotor is pointing if its 180 deg. from pointing to #1 turn crank one more round
Old 02-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Great White

found out the issue.... I called the mechanic. He put a gauge on the fuel pressure outlet. Its at 2psi..... No bueno. 2 things causing it.... bad fuel pump or bad fuel filter. Good news is he said the injectors look amazing (I replaced them last week) and I also bought a fuel filter, but never installed it..........wait there's more good news..... I also replaced the fuel pump in december and it has a lifetime warranty. So its either going to cost me 5 minutes or 5 hours to get it running... This is a difference between fishing toledo bend tomorrow or not.... Please may the fishing gods pray that its only a filter clogged.....
Old 02-23-2014, 12:51 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

here's to hoping its just the filter and your on toledo tommorrow...
Old 02-23-2014, 12:54 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
found out the issue.... I called the mechanic. He put a gauge on the fuel pressure outlet. Its at 2psi..... No bueno. 2 things causing it.... bad fuel pump or bad fuel filter. Good news is he said the injectors look amazing (I replaced them last week) and I also bought a fuel filter, but never installed it..........wait there's more good news..... I also replaced the fuel pump in december and it has a lifetime warranty. So its either going to cost me 5 minutes or 5 hours to get it running... This is a difference between fishing toledo bend tomorrow or not.... Please may the fishing gods pray that its only a filter clogged.....
Yep I was going to tell you that. Had it happen to me once.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceArcher View Post
here's to hoping its just the filter and your on toledo tommorrow...
stopped by, changed filter and checked to see if it was the pump. Definately not the pump. Changed filter... Still no fuel pressure to the rail. Went to toledo anyways !