SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion > Offshore Fishing Reports

Offshore Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite offshore spots here

Old 06-09-2014, 08:50 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Thanks guys.

One more question:

What is proper etiquette on the rip? We were catching chicken dolphin around 20' off the grass mats staying relatively still. A big charter boat was trolling and heading our way. I didnt know if I should move out of his way or if he should go around us.

I decided to stay put and he went around us but im pretty sure I pissed him off.
After he passed me someone came on the radio in a STRONG signal and said: "I respect you but you have to respect that I have a job to do." I dont know if it was the troller or if he was talking to me or not.

Anyone know what is the right thing to do in this situation so that I will know in the future?
Old 06-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Make em go around. U were there first
Old 06-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
Thanks guys.

One more question:

What is proper etiquette on the rip? We were catching chicken dolphin around 20' off the grass mats staying relatively still. A big charter boat was trolling and heading our way. I didnt know if I should move out of his way or if he should go around us.

I decided to stay put and he went around us but im pretty sure I pissed him off.
After he passed me someone came on the radio in a STRONG signal and said: "I respect you but you have to respect that I have a job to do." I dont know if it was the troller or if he was talking to me or not.

Anyone know what is the right thing to do in this situation so that I will know in the future?

I am not sure about etiquette........but there is something about giving way to the larger vessel.........

One way is to always get on the radio and ask........
Most captains just appreciate a heads up..........but some do think they own the water.....

I respect the blue water guys when I am in my boat (smaller vessel) it's a heck of lot easier for me to get reset than them.......

My boat is pretty out there color wise and once back at the dock there is no question who we are.....I have had captains come up and thank me for giving way and actually help me later.....

Others have the "my job" thing going and there is nothing you can say that they appreciate.........

Had words with a well known spec capt. Friday at the fish cleaning dock........guy just rolled in, moved our stuff and decided to clean his fish.....he cut in line of about four other respectful groups.......

He relented, but was none to happy about it
Old 06-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Redfish

Cash: 984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
Thanks guys.

One more question:

Sounds like u did the right thing. If he was talking to u he must have been a douche.