SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion > Offshore Fishing Reports

Offshore Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite offshore spots here

Old 08-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Offshore & nearshore Venice

My offshore trip for today was pushed up to Sunday due to the storms forecasted for Monday. Good call because it has been thundering and raining for over 2 hours. I have been fishing six days straight and almost over slept. Getting up at 4 is not my problem. Getting to bed before 10:30 is where I mess up. When I got there the guys were waiting. We headed out and went right past the other boats looking for live bait. We gambled on finding some at the rig. About 12-15 miles from the river we found a water color change and there were threadfin on it. We quickly made bait and continued on.

When we got there we had 5 boats but the conditions were not what we had 2 days ago. We set out our baits and settled in for the action We soon got a hit and lost that one on the strike. Upon checking we also lost our other live bait. The fish are winning today. Our first fish turned out to be a small blackfin. Definitely a different day. We also got bit off by a shark or barracuda. The fish started coming up and busting all over. The only thing we got on a popper was a bonito. It hit a Russelure Tuna Bomb.

After loosing about 4 fish I decide to get dirty. We had the blackfin and several bonito for red meat as well as a flat of pogies. Although the red meat usually produces the best it was not happening. I switched out one bait for a chunk of pogie and the drag starts singing.

By the time this one got in the boat the kids whole body was shaking. He wrestles and has the ability to find an inner strength so he sucked it up and stuck with it till the end. He had to get himself together before taking this picture.

The action was there but simple things like pulling the rod out of the holder and setting the hook, letting the line bunch up in one place and getting a backlash etc. were making things frustrating. Those are the things we have to deal with. Instead of blowing up at the customers we just try to get them into the program. There was also the barracuda and sharks that kept us in action by cutting us off. It was a very long time before we had another good fish on. This was noticeably bigger and beat one guy down. He had to switch due to cramping but took the setup back after a short break and finished the fish off.

We stretched it out as long as we could but had to take a fish and mental beating for our days efforts. We stopped in state waters and
quickly put a limit of red snapper in the box to end our day.

A fitting end to a busy week of good fishing.

Life is Good.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM