SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > Stories, History, and Tributes

Stories, History, and Tributes Got a story to tell about your childhood, someone you admired, or some interesting history to share? This is the place!

Old 05-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650
Default Hot Summer Days

when the heat gets to the point of not being able to stand it and the rain seems like it will never come its time to roll up your pants take off your shoes and head to the closest swamp. When i was about 12 years old me and two buddies of mine were in the swamp catching anything that was alive. There wasnt much water anywhere so fishing was out of the question. As we walked knee deep in the pulling mud telling stories of NO FACE the swamp legend we seen an old black man walking with a trashcan. We were about a mile into the swamp so we were really scared. We hide and watched him for at least an hour. Every few steps he would push the can into the mud, look into it, reach in and begin to throw fish onto the mud. we were astonished and could not figure it out. we finally had enough and approached the master fisherman cautiously. He immediately said "look right there" pointing to the ground ahead of us. " there is a big un" all i could see was a beer bottle on its side half buried in the mud. he said "be real quit" he walked up to the bottle put both hands together pushing them into the mud and with a upward sweeping motion he threw a 5 pound mudfish onto the top of the mud. I was hooked on mud fishing after that. He explained in detail about how finding small wet areas held many mud fish. He said all you need is an old trashcan wit da bottom cut out. Push that can in da mud and listen for the fish hitting the sides... he warned us that if the sound is a tink instead of a thud it must be a snake......I never saw that old swamp man again and never got his name but I went back summer after summer and used his can he left there. We never were able to catch as many fish as we watched him catch but those were the summers that i will never forget.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:55 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 919

No face that's great we still to this day tell that story hunting the Nichelson boany you must have been in that area I think that swamp is one of my favorite places on earth
Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,529

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtoby View Post
when the heat gets to the point of not being able to stand it and the rain seems like it will never come its time to roll up your pants take off your shoes and head to the closest swamp. When i was about 12 years old me and two buddies of mine were in the swamp catching anything that was alive. There wasnt much water anywhere so fishing was out of the question. As we walked knee deep in the pulling mud telling stories of NO FACE the swamp legend we seen an old black man walking with a trashcan. We were about a mile into the swamp so we were really scared. We hide and watched him for at least an hour. Every few steps he would push the can into the mud, look into it, reach in and begin to throw fish onto the mud. we were astonished and could not figure it out. we finally had enough and approached the master fisherman cautiously. He immediately said "look right there" pointing to the ground ahead of us. " there is a big un" all i could see was a beer bottle on its side half buried in the mud. he said "be real quit" he walked up to the bottle put both hands together pushing them into the mud and with a upward sweeping motion he threw a 5 pound mudfish onto the top of the mud. I was hooked on mud fishing after that. He explained in detail about how finding small wet areas held many mud fish. He said all you need is an old trashcan wit da bottom cut out. Push that can in da mud and listen for the fish hitting the sides... he warned us that if the sound is a tink instead of a thud it must be a snake......I never saw that old swamp man again and never got his name but I went back summer after summer and used his can he left there. We never were able to catch as many fish as we watched him catch but those were the summers that i will never forget.
excellent story thanks for sharing!!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 05-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 988

may be a dumb question.......... but what is a mud fish?
Old 05-19-2011, 06:26 AM
Flounder

Cash: 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdomingue View Post
may be a dumb question.......... but what is a mud fish?

Grinnel----Choupique----Bowfin
Old 05-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,418

Damn, I was going to ask you guys what kind of fish I had here, but I cant seem to post a pic. How do you do that???
Old 05-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,529

The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .