SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 01-30-2014, 09:39 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Well I'm behind y'all In age. It's not just about the limits for me. A lot of people on here can tell you I don't hunt with the newest nicest guns, camo etc. I enjoy the little things too. What has my feathers ruffled though. All season long besides the last two weeks we see low numbers. Now the season is closed and I see more ducks on my place in one day then I see all first split. Yesterday afternoon I might have only killed one spec. But watching them body up 200 yards from me, still seeing line after line of geese and ducks into the sunset, and watching my dog run down a goose at 400 yards. That made my trip worth it. My point is let's cut the hay while the grass is tall
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391092802.587720.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391092814.736399.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2014, 09:50 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
In other news.

WASHINGTON – Jan. 29, 2014 – The House of Representatives today passed the 2014 Farm Bill with a bipartisan vote of 251-166.

“This is a big win for conservation and for working farmers and ranchers. The conservation programs authorized and funded through the farm bill are the backbone of Ducks Unlimited conservation work on private lands, and they have just been strengthened by the inclusion of our top priorities,”

Conservation provisions included in the 2014 Farm Bill are designed to encourage the conservation of our nation’s remaining wetlands and grasslands, which help keep our waters clean, prevent soil erosion and provide vital habitat for waterfowl and

This is to save the wetlands where they breed and helping save our coast. DU spends a lot of money down here building terraces and such that a lot of people don't realize.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post
This is to save the wetlands where they breed and helping save our coast. DU spends a lot of money down here building terraces and such that a lot of people don't realize.

Lol ok
Old 01-30-2014, 10:43 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Lol ok

When you can prove otherwise then you can laugh. The ducks have to have somewhere to breed and rest up north and without organizations like DU they wouldn't have that.

Cause I know that DU spent a lot of money around here the past couple years paying farmers to flood and keep flooded from August to November and then different fields from November to January. And they also donated a lot of money to our farm to out in pipes and help improve our water control. Pipes and risers and such.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:53 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
When you can prove otherwise then you can laugh. The ducks have to have somewhere to breed and rest up north and without organizations like DU they wouldn't have that.

Cause I know that DU spent a lot of money around here the past couple years paying farmers to flood and keep flooded from August to November and then different fields from November to January. And they also donated a lot of money to our farm to out in pipes and help improve our water control. Pipes and risers and such.

Bingo lol
Old 01-30-2014, 10:54 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Bingo lol

That's all water we hunted. And killed the **** out of them over.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:55 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post

really? I need to get in on this
Old 01-30-2014, 11:09 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post

I research a lot bro. I'm on ur side on a lot of points but this one your on your own. They may do one or two small projects here but that's only to keep your interest. The focus on up north where they can really see their money making a difference. Politics man!!! DU is what they been forever... They are Du

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 01-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Swordfish

Ask em where 100% of louisianas duck stamp money went
Old 01-30-2014, 11:14 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by southLA View Post
really? I need to get in on this
I used to hunt a place that Ducks Unlimited came in and did all the work on water control for free. I am pretty sure if you contact them, they will hook you up.

But I agree with everyone else. All the big money is spent up north.

And like someone said earlier, these "rich" hunters are planting rice and corn and not harvesting any of it. Just for duck hunting. Shot a bunch of mallards up in north LA last week. Saw 1000s of birds. It was crazy. Could have shot mallards until I ran out of shells every hunt. Most mallards don't come down any farther than that. Spoke with a few property owners and they tell me they plan on planting corn next year just for ducks. That's a lot of money!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
I research a lot bro. I'm on ur side on a lot of points but this one your on your own. They may do one or two small projects here but that's only to keep your interest. The focus on up north where they can really see their money making a difference. Politics man!!! DU is what they been forever... They are Du

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Where they Can make their money work? Top two contributing states are Texas and Louisisana. Research that....I have a list of projects with numbers somewhere. More money is pumped down south than you might think. It's no secret though their MAIN FOCUS is the Breeding Grounds. Politics you say? 80% of the money goes into projects. Not entertaining senators and reps. A certain amount has to go into that however. Certain things simply CAN NOT get done without that.
Do some More reseach Bud.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Swordfish

If u wanna get a hunt on one of them "DU projects" you better save your money.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Swordfish

I remember reading an article a few weeks back about 800,000 mallards sitting on the Missouri river in South Dakota. They would not leave and no one could kill them. They would just raft up in the middle of the river. They would move to the ag fields at night and be back on the river before shooting time so no one could kill them. I would have to think after these hard freezes that they moved south but wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:26 AM
Swordfish

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/migrati...n-south-dakota
Old 01-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Swordfish

While they enhance the breeding grounds up north. The wintering grounds down here continue to fade away.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:33 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

How did ducks breed before DU? Nice try. It's a business now of shooters instead of hunters. Killing for just sport and not food.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:41 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulox86 View Post
How did ducks breed before DU? Nice try. It's a business now of shooters instead of hunters. Killing for just sport and not food.
Wetland and potholes were there naturally then. Man came in and started destroying all that. Draining Land For Farming, Filling in Pot holes Etc.... Thats how.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:43 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulox86 View Post

They bred just fine before DU. But you have to realize before DU there was nowhere near the number of hunters or farmers that there is now. The farming technology wasn't there. The hunting technology wasn't there. There was sections of fields that just couldn't be messed with because it was too wet or any other reason. Now with the technology and equipment they have places like this can be turned into at fields and less place for the birds to breed and sit and rest undisturbed. Not only up north but here too and everywhere in between.

Nice try though.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Ask em where 100% of louisianas duck stamp money went
It all went the breeding grounds that produce most of the ducks that Louisiana harvests. DU was awarded the money and they take our duck stamp monies match it with their own funding and then match it with other monies such as NAWCA. our x amount of dollars just multiplied to 3x or 4x which is the best bang for our buck. They essentially quadrupled our duck stamp money and sent it to the breeding grounds - win win

Its not that much money in the grand scheme of things, if that million or so dollars was spent in say Sherburne WMA then people that don't hunt Sherburne would gripe that it shoulda been spent on their particular WMA they hunt. Then the private landowners have an argument as well. The funds were best spent up in the breeding grounds (again they quadrupled the money) and there isn't a public vs private argument now
Old 01-30-2014, 12:00 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Ducks are probably the best out there for predicting weather and they have free gas. Plenty have been tracked from northern Ark to south La marshes and back the next day. You can manage property for them but you can't make them come or stay if they come. Sun light is the migration trigger along with imprinting and lastly weather, IMO. Like it or not, consevation organizations are lobbyists for hunters and fishermen and without them it is doubtful our voices would ever be heard at the local,state and federal level. Easy money and cheap airfares are turning the secret meccas into Louisiana currently. As vast as NODAK is, each year more and more land is being posted. Same in Kansas & Oklahoma as they are starting to capitilize on the duck hunting frenzy. It will be ruined up there in ten years just like it has been in Louisiana.