SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334
Default Can of Worms

Question; should guides have to be licensed to do business in the state of Louisiana?

Many states require an outfitters license in order to guide paying clients. Outfitters in these states are listed in the data base and any complaints lodged against them are public record. The thread about the guide service called Laccasine Outfitters brought this to my mind. If they had to be licensed to do business those who booked them probably would not have.
Let the buyer beware is a phrase used frequently but doesn't ring true when you are the one who got took.

Let the fun begin

Yes, I believe licensing would help everyone even the guides.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

What would you propose one would do to become a licensed guide?
Old 07-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

I'm surprised our state hasn't already thought of this. They don't care what it does for guides but, I'm sure they'd find a way to make $ for them.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
What would you propose one would do to become a licensed guide?
Out west they only allow a certain number of guides per section, not sure how it would work for duck/goose guides. Outfitter sign a code of conduct they shall abide by and basically understand the laws pertaining to the game they specialize in hunting. Fishing guides would probably find this more palatable since it would have the effect of limiting the number of guides on a particular body of water or estuary thus increasing their day rate.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,315

Fishing guides do have to have a charter boat license from the state. To my knowledge, that is all though.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Red Snapper

I could agree with signing a code of conduct for sure and if a guide doesn't understand the laws, they shouldn't be guiding. But isn't being an ethical hunter and knowing all of your game laws an accepted responsibility of purchasing a hunting license? As far as limiting guides, I don't think there are too many guides in the area, and if a guide is a good one, he won't hurt any hunting around him. I don't think an outrageous fee should be in order though. There is already a ton of overhead in guiding hunting trips, and paying for a license shouldn't be a big part of that.

The only problem I see with this is who would enforce the code of conduct? A disgruntled sport who didn't kill a pretty pictures worth of a limit and has a score to settle so he "reports" the guide? In theory, sure a license would be a good thing. But in reality, it really would just be one more hassle someone trying to make a few dollars for his family would have to give the the government. I really don't see how this would help a guide either. A good guide service has a reputation and is pretty well known. Posting on a forum like this should give you all the answers you need on a guide service. The only way I have ever heard of Bayou Lacassine Outfitters is from an ad they have on LA Sportsman, and I saw it probably 3 years ago. Until the thread on here the other day, I have never once seen or heard their name come up so they probably don't have many clients. So pretty much, no, I don't think a guide needs a special license.

I'm speaking about hunting guides, I don't know the first thing about fishing guides
Old 07-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

There's all sorts of bad businesses with business licenses. Its just more red tape and money that would go to a wasteful government.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Terrible idea. More government control? I don't think so. There aren't too many guides in any area. If they are all busy, why cut down on the number of guides. How would you pick who gets to be a guide and who doesn't? I understand there are scams out there, but most of the time they are obvious. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. It's not hard to find out who is reputable and who isn't, just ask around. You would really want the government trying to regulate something like this?
Old 07-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Red Snapper

If someone has a bad experience and they really feel they need to let other people know, they have all the freedom in the world to get on a site like this and write about it. Word of mouth travels fast as well, and while there are some bad guides and scams and such, 90% are good people who are going to work their hardest to put clients on a good hunting or fishing trip.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Dumb idea.... Outfitters guide hunts in La for what 3months a year ..... No need to add more redtape to hunting

I might guide some guys teal season for $125 a gun 3-4 times a season

Should I have to buy an extra licence for 3 days ??? No
Old 07-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Flounder

Cash: 725

I'm not against listening them for a nominal fee. Just as a fishing guide has to have a charter license so too should a hunting guide. If nothing else but for safety. Guides sometimes bring customers whom have never shot a gun. There should be a process that they go through to prove they can safely help people operate firearms. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't hunting guides who take people in boats have to have a charter license.
As far as limiting the number of guides. That's ridiculous. Anytime the government places artificial limits on supply of any product/service then the price will surely go up. The governments job is to make sure that a person is offering this service in a safe way and hold them accountable if they are not. Let the market determine how many guides are needed.
I now step down off of my soapbox.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

They should at least be boater safety, hunter safety, cpr, and first aid certified.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzon30s View Post
I'm not against listening them for a nominal fee. Just as a fishing guide has to have a charter license so too should a hunting guide. If nothing else but for safety. Guides sometimes bring customers whom have never shot a gun. There should be a process that they go through to prove they can safely help people operate firearms. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't hunting guides who take people in boats have to have a charter license.
As far as limiting the number of guides. That's ridiculous. Anytime the government places artificial limits on supply of any product/service then the price will surely go up. The governments job is to make sure that a person is offering this service in a safe way and hold them accountable if they are not. Let the market determine how many guides are needed.
I now step down off of my soapbox.
Saying a hunting guide needs a license bc a fishing guide does is not a fair comparison at all. As stated before, you have 3 months a year vs 12. And a 6k a year lease. And the countless trips you make preparing blinds. And decoys. And as far as i know, you don't need a charter license to bring people duck hunting in a boat. If that was the case at least half your duck guides would be breaking the law
Old 07-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Red Snapper

Only need a charter license in navigable waterways. Therefore unless the waterfowl guide is in the intracoastal or a major river they do not need a captains license.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

WOW, this opens Pandora's box.......how deep do you want to go????

Navigable Waterways and who owns the fish? Taxable income????? Next thing is we will be paying Canada for raising the eggs!

Does a waiter or cook at a restaurant have to have restaurant / alcohol license????

Who sets the standards for these guides for fish / hunting? I sure in the hell hoipe it isnt the government!

It is simple supply nad demand.....if you are good, they will use you....if your not...you will get SLAMMED in the tech sites across this great state!

RC
Old 07-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin_Cajun View Post
WOW, this opens Pandora's box.......how deep do you want to go????

Navigable Waterways and who owns the fish? Taxable income????? Next thing is we will be paying Canada for raising the eggs!

Does a waiter or cook at a restaurant have to have restaurant / alcohol license????

Who sets the standards for these guides for fish / hunting? I sure in the hell hoipe it isnt the government!

It is simple supply nad demand.....if you are good, they will use you....if your not...you will get SLAMMED in the tech sites across this great state!

RC
Yes a bar card for anyone serving alcohol. Also chefs running a kitchen have to be serve safe certified.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Freshwater guides don't need anything either
Old 07-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

Just making a point "W". I don't like big government....i believe the law of supply and demand should rule. If your not good or good at it, your life will be short lived.....just like a small croaker!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:08 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
. And a 6k a year lease. And the countless trips you make preparing blinds. And decoys.
That's the price of doing business. A man that is in the tree cutting business has to buy trucks, ropes, saws, gas, harnesses AND be licensed and bonded. If you don't want to run a bidness den go get a job and work for da man.

P.S. You DO have to have a captains license to take hunters hunting in a boat if you use navigatble waterways!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Hunting guides in La use private land whereas most fishing guides are using a public resource. I think the state has it right for once. I believe those hunting guides out west are guiding on public land. They have to apply for a permit to guide on public land.