SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-31-2017, 08:57 AM
Nickt87's Avatar
Nickt87 Nickt87 is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: lake charles, la
Posts: 515
Cash: 970
Default Trashing Louisiana

I decided to go take advantage of low rain chances and do some crabbing in hackberry yesterday afternoon. Crabbed west cove launch, blue crab, and hog island. Had a very weak outgoing tide which I blame for the poor bounty.

But besides the poor crabbing I was EXTREMELY disappointed in the amount of litter down there. Idk if it's the quality of people in those specific locations or just the people of the south in general but MY GOODNESS it was horrible. Absolutely disgusting. Beer cans, fast food bags, old fishing and crabbing gear, you name it it was down there. Exactly why we can't have nice stuff.


I fished Montana, Idaho, and Oregon for a week last month and I couldn't find a piece of trash at their boat launches and campsites. Made for a real eye opener compared to this sewer hole of the south.

If you're a sportsman that takes your kids along, please set the example of leaving the place in better condition than you found it. Or at bare minimum don't add to the mess we already have.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-31-2017, 09:56 AM
Duck Butter's Avatar
Duck Butter Duck Butter is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Central La
Posts: 3,903
Cash: 3,117
Default

It's sad. What kind of upbringing you must have had to think it's ok to leave trash behind or throw it out the window

One of my biggest knocks against this state
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-31-2017, 10:07 AM
Smalls Smalls is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Central LA
Posts: 2,822
Cash: 3,848
Default

It's the disrespect for our natural resources. The idea that you can just trash the land and there are no repurcussions for that. Some of our WMAs are just littered with trash. I've seen places on Clear Creek that just look like a dump--old stoves, garbage bags, freezers.

Pitiful. No respect for the land. And I'm not talking about being full-blown treehugger either. Hell, just don't trash the land and water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-31-2017, 10:13 AM
noodle creek's Avatar
noodle creek noodle creek is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: lake charles
Posts: 1,590
Cash: 2,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
I decided to go take advantage of low rain chances and do some crabbing in hackberry yesterday afternoon. Crabbed west cove launch, blue crab, and hog island. Had a very weak outgoing tide which I blame for the poor bounty.

But besides the poor crabbing I was EXTREMELY disappointed in the amount of litter down there. Idk if it's the quality of people in those specific locations or just the people of the south in general but MY GOODNESS it was horrible. Absolutely disgusting. Beer cans, fast food bags, old fishing and crabbing gear, you name it it was down there. Exactly why we can't have nice stuff.


I fished Montana, Idaho, and Oregon for a week last month and I couldn't find a piece of trash at their boat launches and campsites. Made for a real eye opener compared to this sewer hole of the south.

If you're a sportsman that takes your kids along, please set the example of leaving the place in better condition than you found it. Or at bare minimum don't add to the mess we already have.
I love how the docks that have a huge "no crabbing or fishing in this area" sign on them have 10 old crab lines hanging right next to sign. Not only can people not read, but they can care less about picking up their trash.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-31-2017, 11:55 AM
Flex's Avatar
Flex Flex is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Elk, Texas
Posts: 264
Cash: 417
Default

Disrespect and no responsibility. They think somebody else's job is to clean up their mess. I can't stand people littering.

Once on the river a boat dumped out a case full of empty cans on the way to the launch. I grabbed it and chased them down and threw it back in their boat.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-31-2017, 12:01 PM
Duck Butter's Avatar
Duck Butter Duck Butter is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Central La
Posts: 3,903
Cash: 3,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post
Disrespect and no responsibility. They think somebody else's job is to clean up their mess. I can't stand people littering.

Once on the river a boat dumped out a case full of empty cans on the way to the launch. I grabbed it and chased them down and threw it back in their boat.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Some of the guides down in Venice will chunk their trash in the river as well. Eat a sandwich or drink a soft drink and toss the can right into the river
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-31-2017, 02:45 PM
MathGeek's Avatar
MathGeek MathGeek is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 2,931
Cash: 4,402
Default

Not this bad in other southern states, and nowhere close in states like OH, NY, and CO.

We're limited in what we can do, but we can for sure teach our own children better.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-31-2017, 02:53 PM
bmacha's Avatar
bmacha bmacha is offline
Redfish
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Breaux Bridge
Posts: 122
Cash: 1,639
Default

I was at Blue Crab yesterday from 530 am til about 10. We didn't do great either maybe 2.5 dozen eaters. The last 30 mins before we left I spent with kids picking up on the bridge and adjacent spots near the rocks. Two trash bags full of crap!. At least mine will learn the right way.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-31-2017, 03:44 PM
redchaserron redchaserron is offline
Redfish
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 230
Cash: 1,041
Default

Sadly that's far too common in South Louisiana. Last time I went crabbing was at the rock and it was a mess too. When I got done I got my duaghter to help me fill a large garbage bag with other peoples trash and strings left beind in the area where we crabbed. It didn't take long and it made a bit of difference in how the place looked. I'm going to make sure and bring a few bags with me whenever I go crabbing.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-31-2017, 04:29 PM
MathGeek's Avatar
MathGeek MathGeek is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 2,931
Cash: 4,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchaserron View Post
Sadly that's far too common in South Louisiana. Last time I went crabbing was at the rock and it was a mess too. When I got done I got my duaghter to help me fill a large garbage bag with other peoples trash and strings left beind in the area where we crabbed. It didn't take long and it made a bit of difference in how the place looked. I'm going to make sure and bring a few bags with me whenever I go crabbing.
I don't do much crabbing, but folks leave lots of garbage at the beaches also. We bring garbage bags whenever we go. Those are OUR beaches.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-01-2017, 02:21 PM
cajun_poboy's Avatar
cajun_poboy cajun_poboy is offline
Flounder
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 96
Cash: 684
Default

oddly enough, since y'all are talking about littering.... One of the new laws that went into effect today is that now grades K-6 will begin teaching the kids about litter prevention and what it does to the environment. While I appreciate the spirit of this, I still have to ask why the hell do we expect our educators to do what Parents should be doing??
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Duck Butter's Avatar
Duck Butter Duck Butter is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Central La
Posts: 3,903
Cash: 3,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun_poboy View Post
oddly enough, since y'all are talking about littering.... One of the new laws that went into effect today is that now grades K-6 will begin teaching the kids about litter prevention and what it does to the environment. While I appreciate the spirit of this, I still have to ask why the hell do we expect our educators to do what Parents should be doing??
Its not the kids that are doing it. It is grown men and women doing this. Think if we teach the kids early on, they will teach their kids too
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-01-2017, 03:30 PM
king_david1425 king_david1425 is offline
Sand Trout
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: lake charles
Posts: 4
Cash: 256
Default

was the northline recreation area open ? i been wanting to go fishing there but i heard it was closed
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-01-2017, 05:08 PM
nozediver nozediver is offline
Redfish
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 169
Cash: 728
Default

I was there about a month ago. After I was done crabbing I started to take my lines with me and clean up some lines that was left behind. A guy came up to me and ask why I was cutting all the lines that was already there. I told him I wanted to do my part and clean up after myself and other. He got really upset at me and said that was his lines that he left to mark his spot from days ago. WTH???Good thing my son was with me or I would have busted his ***..what an idiot
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-01-2017, 08:27 PM
Jrchip1 Jrchip1 is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pecan Island
Posts: 469
Cash: 2,056
Default Trash

Poggie Boats throwing their energy drinks in the water all along SW La. Coast.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-02-2017, 09:03 AM
Jcredeur's Avatar
Jcredeur Jcredeur is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Broussard
Posts: 483
Cash: 1,226
Default

The piers along HWY 82 headed to pecan island seem to be everyone's personal dump. Then they are the first to cry when it gets shut down.
Hell yesterday at the pig in Kaplan a guy rolled up in his LTZ Suburban with boat in tow full of crabbing equipment. He gets out in all the latest name brand clothing (spotless), walks up to the trash can in front of the store and tosses a paper towel that completely misses the can, he looks at it and walks off. We must remember many who come down here and enjoy the areas that many of us call home are above picking up trash!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-02-2017, 10:44 AM
Nickt87's Avatar
Nickt87 Nickt87 is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: lake charles, la
Posts: 515
Cash: 970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_david1425 View Post
was the northline recreation area open ? i been wanting to go fishing there but i heard it was closed
It was open when I went Sunday.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-02-2017, 11:31 PM
Mako19's Avatar
Mako19 Mako19 is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 2,365
Cash: 2,507
Default

I said this same thing after fishing kenai river last couple weekend. 100's of people fishing the banks and not one piece of trash to be found. If that was LA you would have to climb over a 5' pile of garbage to get to the water. Never realized how bad it is in LA until I fished elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-03-2017, 09:32 AM
fishhawk's Avatar
fishhawk fishhawk is offline
Redfish
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: texas
Posts: 111
Cash: 614
Default

Pack it in...Pack it out!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-03-2017, 03:51 PM
ScubaLatt's Avatar
ScubaLatt ScubaLatt is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moss Bluff
Posts: 2,268
Cash: 2,764
Default

Trashy people!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map