SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-31-2017, 08:57 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070
Default Trashing Louisiana

I decided to go take advantage of low rain chances and do some crabbing in hackberry yesterday afternoon. Crabbed west cove launch, blue crab, and hog island. Had a very weak outgoing tide which I blame for the poor bounty.

But besides the poor crabbing I was EXTREMELY disappointed in the amount of litter down there. Idk if it's the quality of people in those specific locations or just the people of the south in general but MY GOODNESS it was horrible. Absolutely disgusting. Beer cans, fast food bags, old fishing and crabbing gear, you name it it was down there. Exactly why we can't have nice stuff.

I fished Montana, Idaho, and Oregon for a week last month and I couldn't find a piece of trash at their boat launches and campsites. Made for a real eye opener compared to this sewer hole of the south.

If you're a sportsman that takes your kids along, please set the example of leaving the place in better condition than you found it. Or at bare minimum don't add to the mess we already have.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:56 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

It's sad. What kind of upbringing you must have had to think it's ok to leave trash behind or throw it out the window

One of my biggest knocks against this state
Old 07-31-2017, 10:07 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

It's the disrespect for our natural resources. The idea that you can just trash the land and there are no repurcussions for that. Some of our WMAs are just littered with trash. I've seen places on Clear Creek that just look like a dump--old stoves, garbage bags, freezers.

Pitiful. No respect for the land. And I'm not talking about being full-blown treehugger either. Hell, just don't trash the land and water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2017, 10:13 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
I decided to go take advantage of low rain chances and do some crabbing in hackberry yesterday afternoon. Crabbed west cove launch, blue crab, and hog island. Had a very weak outgoing tide which I blame for the poor bounty.

But besides the poor crabbing I was EXTREMELY disappointed in the amount of litter down there. Idk if it's the quality of people in those specific locations or just the people of the south in general but MY GOODNESS it was horrible. Absolutely disgusting. Beer cans, fast food bags, old fishing and crabbing gear, you name it it was down there. Exactly why we can't have nice stuff.

I fished Montana, Idaho, and Oregon for a week last month and I couldn't find a piece of trash at their boat launches and campsites. Made for a real eye opener compared to this sewer hole of the south.

If you're a sportsman that takes your kids along, please set the example of leaving the place in better condition than you found it. Or at bare minimum don't add to the mess we already have.
I love how the docks that have a huge "no crabbing or fishing in this area" sign on them have 10 old crab lines hanging right next to sign. Not only can people not read, but they can care less about picking up their trash.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:55 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 417

Disrespect and no responsibility. They think somebody else's job is to clean up their mess. I can't stand people littering.

Once on the river a boat dumped out a case full of empty cans on the way to the launch. I grabbed it and chased them down and threw it back in their boat.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2017, 12:01 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post
Disrespect and no responsibility. They think somebody else's job is to clean up their mess. I can't stand people littering.

Once on the river a boat dumped out a case full of empty cans on the way to the launch. I grabbed it and chased them down and threw it back in their boat.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Some of the guides down in Venice will chunk their trash in the river as well. Eat a sandwich or drink a soft drink and toss the can right into the river
Old 07-31-2017, 02:45 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Not this bad in other southern states, and nowhere close in states like OH, NY, and CO.

We're limited in what we can do, but we can for sure teach our own children better.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:53 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,739

I was at Blue Crab yesterday from 530 am til about 10. We didn't do great either maybe 2.5 dozen eaters. The last 30 mins before we left I spent with kids picking up on the bridge and adjacent spots near the rocks. Two trash bags full of crap!. At least mine will learn the right way.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:44 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Sadly that's far too common in South Louisiana. Last time I went crabbing was at the rock and it was a mess too. When I got done I got my duaghter to help me fill a large garbage bag with other peoples trash and strings left beind in the area where we crabbed. It didn't take long and it made a bit of difference in how the place looked. I'm going to make sure and bring a few bags with me whenever I go crabbing.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:29 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchaserron View Post
Sadly that's far too common in South Louisiana. Last time I went crabbing was at the rock and it was a mess too. When I got done I got my duaghter to help me fill a large garbage bag with other peoples trash and strings left beind in the area where we crabbed. It didn't take long and it made a bit of difference in how the place looked. I'm going to make sure and bring a few bags with me whenever I go crabbing.
I don't do much crabbing, but folks leave lots of garbage at the beaches also. We bring garbage bags whenever we go. Those are OUR beaches.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:21 PM
Flounder

Cash: 734

oddly enough, since y'all are talking about littering.... One of the new laws that went into effect today is that now grades K-6 will begin teaching the kids about litter prevention and what it does to the environment. While I appreciate the spirit of this, I still have to ask why the hell do we expect our educators to do what Parents should be doing??
Old 08-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun_poboy View Post
oddly enough, since y'all are talking about littering.... One of the new laws that went into effect today is that now grades K-6 will begin teaching the kids about litter prevention and what it does to the environment. While I appreciate the spirit of this, I still have to ask why the hell do we expect our educators to do what Parents should be doing??
Its not the kids that are doing it. It is grown men and women doing this. Think if we teach the kids early on, they will teach their kids too
Old 08-01-2017, 03:30 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 356

was the northline recreation area open ? i been wanting to go fishing there but i heard it was closed
Old 08-01-2017, 05:08 PM
Redfish

Cash: 828

I was there about a month ago. After I was done crabbing I started to take my lines with me and clean up some lines that was left behind. A guy came up to me and ask why I was cutting all the lines that was already there. I told him I wanted to do my part and clean up after myself and other. He got really upset at me and said that was his lines that he left to mark his spot from days ago. WTH???Good thing my son was with me or I would have busted his ***..what an idiot
Old 08-01-2017, 08:27 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,156
Default Trash

Poggie Boats throwing their energy drinks in the water all along SW La. Coast.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:03 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,326

The piers along HWY 82 headed to pecan island seem to be everyone's personal dump. Then they are the first to cry when it gets shut down.
Hell yesterday at the pig in Kaplan a guy rolled up in his LTZ Suburban with boat in tow full of crabbing equipment. He gets out in all the latest name brand clothing (spotless), walks up to the trash can in front of the store and tosses a paper towel that completely misses the can, he looks at it and walks off. We must remember many who come down here and enjoy the areas that many of us call home are above picking up trash!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2017, 10:44 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_david1425 View Post
was the northline recreation area open ? i been wanting to go fishing there but i heard it was closed
It was open when I went Sunday.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:31 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,557

I said this same thing after fishing kenai river last couple weekend. 100's of people fishing the banks and not one piece of trash to be found. If that was LA you would have to climb over a 5' pile of garbage to get to the water. Never realized how bad it is in LA until I fished elsewhere.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Redfish

Cash: 714

Pack it in...Pack it out!
Old 08-03-2017, 03:51 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

Trashy people!