SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:08 AM
Email Address Not Verified

Cash: 1,005

Here ya go! all you need to know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AIJCc9T3X4
Old 08-13-2014, 07:28 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash View Post
Use small whole crabs so meat doesn't get eaten by crabs and you won't catch catfish. Break off points and legs and claws. Insert circle hook in one leg hole and out the other on a Carolina rig.

This.

Stop putting crabs on ice use fresh lively crabs.
Break off the points with a pair of pliers and pull the claws off. Leave the legs on so it can crawl around on the bottom. You don't need to break it in half a 30" red will eat a 4" crab with no problem.

A friend of mine brings rubber bands and rubber band the hook to the the shell. I hook mine through the back swimmer fin where it meats the body.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:42 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
$6 a pound 25-30 count shrimp is all the reds wanted.

you go out there with 40-50's and all you catch is puppy drum. I know it sounds strange and hard to believe but I did it with another guy and after 3 trips in a row with him catching 6 or 7 big reds and all I caught were 10-12" drum and hardheads each time so 3 times with the same results each time and I had to admit there was something to the saying "big bait big fish"

I just cant stand buying big frying shrimp to use for bait so I figured I had plenty of crabs for free so I wanted to make that work if I could. I do plan to buy some mullet for cut bait next time im down in golden meadow but here in laplace there is no source to buy that.
Not trying to be a smart*** but you could save yourself a lot of headache and get some 1/2 oz. johnson weedless gold spoons and fish some shorelines of gm lakes and bays with a little grass and catch all the reds you want.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyPrejean87 View Post
Here ya go! all you need to know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AIJCc9T3X4
yes but that IS how I was fishing only to find my bait wasn't grabbed within a few seconds of hitting the water and the minnows quickly sucked all the meat out.

im sure the method works if you have active fish feeding in the area to grab it quickly before the minnows clean it out but that doesn't seam to be the case for me and a slower bite results in the bait becoming an unattractive empty shell far too quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouchub View Post
Not trying to be a smart*** but you could save yourself a lot of headache and get some 1/2 oz. johnson weedless gold spoons and fish some shorelines of gm lakes and bays with a little grass and catch all the reds you want.
no, I get it and I understand the comment but ....

well im living in laplace right now and lake ponchartrain is 20 minutes away including stopping to get gas and launching the boat plus just a short 10 minute boat ride from the launch to the power lines so im fishing in 30 minutes after leaving house.

yes I fish GM all the time but that's a near 3 hour round trip driving plus $20-$25 gas in the truck.

lake ponchartrain red fishing is also easier because you dont have to get up early, you fish from 10am to 2pm when the sun is high and the shadows caused by the sun are tight to the powerlines. the fish use the shade and that is where you catch them and in the middle of the day they hold tight to the powerline poles.

so the question is why go down south when the fish are biting right in your own back yard? granted it doesn't require expensive bait to fish but other expenses out weight the bait costs

Last edited by keakar; 08-13-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:31 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

I was talking about where you said you were buying cut mullet next time in golden meadow. Thinking you were going to fish cut mullet and crab there.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:10 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouchub View Post
I was talking about where you said you were buying cut mullet next time in golden meadow. Thinking you were going to fish cut mullet and crab there.
well I find as you said its easy to just catch on artificial and I prefer to stay on the move when fishing but when its slow and trout aren't biting or in "season" so to speak, I do plan to sit on a few cuts and reefs to use cut mullet to catch the reds on those days when most people just stay home.

only place I can think of to find mullet for bait anywhere near me is terrys in leeville so that's why I was planning to go down there to buy bait next time I go cut the grass at my house in GM
Old 08-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Not hard to believe at all. After three trips you know it aint working. Fished with crab one time from the beach. Nothing all day on them. Before we left I caught a few finger mullet with my cast net. My son grabbed one and baited up. Within five minutes he had a bull red on. People catch with crabs but I prefer mullet.